How to calculate calorie goals according to NROLFW

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if I still do this if my only exercise right now is walking.. I walk at least 25 miles a week on my days off. Anyone know?

Depends.

If walking 3mph or slower, just a gentle workout, then no, that is just more daily activity - which is exactly where the deficit comes from. That type of walking helps with your fat loss. Especially if you don't have much other daily activity.

If faster or on hills and really breaking out a sweat and breathing very hard and heart racing for the whole time - that's a workout.
  • scheeri
    scheeri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    That seriously can't be right. That would mean I would need to eat over 2000 cals a day on non workout days?
  • mishmash81
    Options
    bump for later :D
  • islaybower
    Options
    I'm trying to believe this (I would LOVE to believe this), but I really struggle with the idea that I could lose weight netting 1,700 calories a day. I've read all the info, I get the deal, but I just can't quite believe it, given that I'm averaging a fraction less than that at the minute and not really shifting weight at all.
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    It is really scary. I have just set my calories to 1600 NET which is my maintenance according to MFP but NROLFW suggests I eat 1900 calories on a non exercise day!

Really don't know what to do. I have completed Stage One already but plan to start Stage Two next week. Think I may slowly start to increase from next week. Maybe stick to the 1600 on Non Workout days but make sure I eat back every single last calorie burned on lifting days:smile:
  • shannonbillows
    shannonbillows Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women suggests using these guidelines for calculating how many calories to eat each day:

Step 1: Find your weight in Kilograms
    Take your weight and divide it by 2.2 = your weight in kilograms.
    For example, I weigh 131 lbs, so in kilograms I weigh 59.55 kg

Step 2: Calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate
    Multiply your weight in kilograms by 7.18
    (MY example:) 59.55*7.18 = 427.54

Now add 795
    795+427.54 = 1222.54
    We'll call that number X

Step 3: Calculate your BMI
    Use this chart: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf
    For example, I am 68 inches and 131 lbs, so I am about a 20 BMI.

Now:

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.6
    On workout days: 1.8

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.5
    On workout days: 1.7

So for me, I'll do
    Non-workout days: X = 1222.54 * 1.6 = 1956 calories
    Workout days: X = 1222.54*1.8 = 2201 calories

Now, the book says that if you are also trying to lose lbs, you can subtract up to 300 cals from both days.

So I can eat NO LESS THAN a NET calorie count of 1656 calories, or 1901 if I worked out that day.

I'm starting at 1700/1950 for now, might go up a little more as my body gets used to eating this much. I was at 1300 so it is a big change for me!!!

The book also recommends doing 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. To set all of these manually, you can do a custom goal setting in MFP.

These calculations are approximations based off of averages, thus if you try it for a few weeks and you find it's not working how you want it to, then you can change it. The workout-days account for ~250 calorie burns because it is for ~30 min lifting sessions. If you do high intensity cardio one day and burn more than that, then you should eat more than that.

Good luck to all!

Hey, i know Alen Cosgrove is a fantastic author and has vast knowledge in training but weight loss really comes down to how much you want to lose and in how much time

1. Fat is not metabolically active. for a kilo of fat to sit on your body you burn about an extra 2 calories a day. if someone is 30 kilos over wight that equation would let that person eat huge amounts of calories, i'm a male at 6ft and i don't need to eat any more than 2000 cals and that's on working and training days.

2.your bmr is your bmr it wont change, you will have pretty much the same resting metabolic rate and the person who is the same sex and height as you. you metabolism is largly made of of your organs, bones and yea a little bit for muscle. but for you to function frm day to day just to stay alive...thats what you are actually eating for. if you eat less you will lose fat if you eat more you will gain

i highly recomend you and anyone trying to lose weight. find out your bmr and eat 500 cals less as a bar minimum. if you want to lose fat faster it a little less each day. You will not starve!

i highly recomend reading up on Eat stop Eat by brad Pilon
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In reply to the response given to the walker:

I think this would depend on how much of a workout the walking is for the walker - I am 262 pounds and work up to 145-150bpm on my HRM for quite long periods of time (a good 85% of my Max HR) and the fastest I walk is 3mph, most of my walking is at 2.5mph.

At this stage this represents the hardest cardio I do as I am so unfit and the longest I can sustain cardio is walking for 3-5 miles non-stop.

Obviously as I get fitter, I will speed up and walk longer as well but at this stage there is no way I can call 2.5mph 'leisurely' as MFP suggests as it is just under my top speed of 3mph.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women suggests using these guidelines for calculating how many calories to eat each day:

Now add 795
    795+427.54 = 1222.54
    We'll call that number X

Now:

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:

So for me, I'll do

Now, the book says that if you are also trying to lose lbs, you can subtract up to 300 cals from both days.

So I can eat NO LESS THAN a NET calorie count of 1656 calories, or 1901 if I worked out that day.

I'm starting at 1700/1950 for now, might go up a little more as my body gets used to eating this much. I was at 1300 so it is a big change for me!!!

The book also recommends doing 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. To set all of these manually, you can do a custom goal setting in MFP.

These calculations are approximations based off of averages, thus if you try it for a few weeks and you find it's not working how you want it to, then you can change it. The workout-days account for ~250 calorie burns because it is for ~30 min lifting sessions. If you do high intensity cardio one day and burn more than that, then you should eat more than that.

Good luck to all!

Hey, i know Alen Cosgrove is a fantastic author and has vast knowledge in training but weight loss really comes down to how much you want to lose and in how much time

1. Fat is not metabolically active. for a kilo of fat to sit on your body you burn about an extra 2 calories a day. if someone is 30 kilos over wight that equation would let that person eat huge amounts of calories, i'm a male at 6ft and i don't need to eat any more than 2000 cals and that's on working and training days.

2.your bmr is your bmr it wont change, you will have pretty much the same resting metabolic rate and the person who is the same sex and height as you. you metabolism is largly made of of your organs, bones and yea a little bit for muscle. but for you to function frm day to day just to stay alive...thats what you are actually eating for. if you eat less you will lose fat if you eat more you will gain

i highly recomend you and anyone trying to lose weight. find out your bmr and eat 500 cals less as a bar minimum. if you want to lose fat faster it a little less each day. You will not starve!

My BMR is 1450.....so what you're suggesting is that I eat only 950? (1450-500=950) I can gaurantee you that at 950 calories a day, I would surely starve ;) lol.

Thank goodness I have enough sense to research what my body needs, otherwise you would have just put me on the most ridiculous "diet" of my life lol.
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I just bought the kindle edition of this book, and started reading today, but had not hit any actual recommendations yet. E-books are a pain to flip back through, so I'm glad to have found this all laid out clearly!

There should be a way to set "bookmarks" on your Kindle - it's very useful for books like NROLFW with charts, etc. hope that helps. :)

Hey, I hope this helps... I have an older Kindle and I can set bookmarks. Here is how I do it. I just click the menu button when I'm on the page I want to bookmark. Then there is a "Add a bookmark" option. I just click it. Then, later, I can just open the book, click menu and click "View my notes and marks". It lists all of my notes and bookmarks, go to the one I want, click and it takes me there.

I have n iPad, and ave kindle on it (I buy amazon books) and I can do that too, I bought the NROLFW book and have saved many bookmarks on it!
  • Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A definite bump! We will see.. I am really short -- 5ft even!! :tongue:
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Now add 795
    795+427.54 = 1222.54
    We'll call that number X

Now:

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:

So for me, I'll do

Good luck to all!

My BMR is 1450.....so what you're suggesting is that I eat only 950? (1450-500=950) I can gaurantee you that at 950 calories a day, I would surely starve ;) lol.

Thank goodness I have enough sense to research what my body needs, otherwise you would have just put me on the most ridiculous "diet" of my life lol.

Somethings wrong with your numbers, once you do this, you'll find the number higher than you could think you could ever lose weight on, but it works cause your feeding your muscle. Everyone is ending up with numbers of 1800 and up. See if you missed a step. Hope that helps.
  • truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Or just get you're weight in lbs x12 to get you're cal target. That is generally a good starting point. If you have an active job you may be able to go higher and if you have a sedentary job you may need to go a little lower. I'd never go lower than bwx10.

And:
    protein min 1g/lb of LBM
    fat min .35g/lb of BW.

Too easy :)

And yes I TOTALLY agree that there are way too many people on 1200 cals here that don't need to be.
  • poison_masquerade
    Options
    Bump for later
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

Now add 795
    795+427.54 = 1222.54
    We'll call that number X

Now:

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:

So for me, I'll do

Good luck to all!

I can only assume what you mean is TDEE (Total Daily Estimated Expenditure) and not BMR because NOBODY should eat their BMR - 500 or they will die. Basically. Your BMR is what your body needs just to stay alive.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do all that math for yourself there is a spreadsheet specific to NROL4W:

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

Click the link in the white box in the middle of the page that says: Download: New Rules of Lifting for Women Diet Calculator and Workout Logs

login: perturbation
    password: dominance

:flowerforyou:
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    According to this basically I need to eat 1300 a day on nonworkout days and 1562 on workout days. Basically - I eat close to that so why am I not losing weight - sigh - so frustrating.