*bump*
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Bump
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I follow this plan...sort of. I only upped my calories from mfp by 300 calories, not 500 that i was suppose to. I got a little hesitant eating that much...turns out that was the key to losing. I've been at this weight loss thing for a long time, and i've restarted my ticker twice...but this is the first time i've seen consistent loss, because i'm eating what i'm suppose to be eating. I lift 2 times a week with NROL4W and I do cardio at least 4 days a week (walking, elliptical). I also changed my macros to what the book suggested, but i'm not doing the diet plan, i'm still eating what I want but in moderation.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women suggests using these guidelines for calculating how many calories to eat each day:

Step 1: Find your weight in Kilograms
    Take your weight and divide it by 2.2 = your weight in kilograms.
    For example, I weigh 131 lbs, so in kilograms I weigh 59.55 kg

Step 2: Calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate
    Multiply your weight in kilograms by 7.18
    (MY example:) 59.55*7.18 = 427.54

Now add 795
    795+427.54 = 1222.54
    We'll call that number X

Step 3: Calculate your BMI
    Use this chart: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf
    For example, I am 68 inches and 131 lbs, so I am about a 20 BMI.

Now:

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.6
    On workout days: 1.8

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.5
    On workout days: 1.7

So for me, I'll do
    Non-workout days: X = 1222.54 * 1.6 = 1956 calories
    Workout days: X = 1222.54*1.8 = 2201 calories

Now, the book says that if you are also trying to lose lbs, you can subtract up to 300 cals from both days.

So I can eat NO LESS THAN a NET calorie count of 1656 calories, or 1901 if I worked out that day.

I'm starting at 1700/1950 for now, might go up a little more as my body gets used to eating this much. I was at 1300 so it is a big change for me!!!

The book also recommends doing 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. To set all of these manually, you can do a custom goal setting in MFP.

These calculations are approximations based off of averages, thus if you try it for a few weeks and you find it's not working how you want it to, then you can change it. The workout-days account for ~250 calorie burns because it is for ~30 min lifting sessions. If you do high intensity cardio one day and burn more than that, then you should eat more than that.

Good luck to all!

I was wondering if I still do this if my only exercise right now is walking.. I walk at least 25 miles a week on my days off. Anyone know?

Yes! Walking is exercise! :)
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I just bought the kindle edition of this book, and started reading today, but had not hit any actual recommendations yet. E-books are a pain to flip back through, so I'm glad to have found this all laid out clearly!

There should be a way to set "bookmarks" on your Kindle - it's very useful for books like NROLFW with charts, etc. hope that helps. :)
  • rok1977
    rok1977 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump!
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump for later....might need to revisit this now that I've added weights to my routine...
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump. And I have the exact calculation as you. 131 pounds and 68 inches :P Made it easy haha
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bumping for later.

Thanks so much. Waiting for my paper copy of NROLFW to arrive ;)
  • nichole1027
    nichole1027 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No problem! I am not an expert and of course am only posting what the book says, but I truly believe that MFP should not be putting everyone and their brother at 1200 calories a day - unless you're very very short, it's really too little. It may seem excessive, but if everyone eats more they will still lose weight, will build muscle, and will be able to keep it going throughout their life without feeling like they are restricting themselves too much!

I ate at 1200 net for the first two months of my weight loss since January and while it worked fine, I'm a little ashamed because I should have done more research instead of just taking MFP's suggestions at face value. I don't believe that anyone should eat below 1400 net ever, and definitely even a little more than that usually. Especially if you're working out and want muscles to grow :D

How short is very, very short? MFP has my goal set at 1200. I am 61" tall, or 5'1"
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    No problem! I am not an expert and of course am only posting what the book says, but I truly believe that MFP should not be putting everyone and their brother at 1200 calories a day - unless you're very very short, it's really too little. It may seem excessive, but if everyone eats more they will still lose weight, will build muscle, and will be able to keep it going throughout their life without feeling like they are restricting themselves too much!

I ate at 1200 net for the first two months of my weight loss since January and while it worked fine, I'm a little ashamed because I should have done more research instead of just taking MFP's suggestions at face value. I don't believe that anyone should eat below 1400 net ever, and definitely even a little more than that usually. Especially if you're working out and want muscles to grow :D

How short is very, very short? MFP has my goal set at 1200. I am 61" tall, or 5'1"

you are WAY to tall to be eating 1200 calories...please do the calculations that the OP gave you and see what you should be at...and eat a sandwich lol
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :smile:
  • Kylieikerd
    Options
    bump