How to calculate calorie goals according to NROLFW

Options

Replies

• shannonbillows
    shannonbillows Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women suggests using these guidelines for calculating how many calories to eat each day:

Step 1: Find your weight in Kilograms
    Take your weight and divide it by 2.2 = your weight in kilograms.
    For example, I weigh 131 lbs, so in kilograms I weigh 59.55 kg

Step 2: Calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate
    Multiply your weight in kilograms by 7.18
    (MY example:) 59.55*7.18 = 427.54

Now add 795
    795+427.54 = 1222.54
    We'll call that number X

Step 3: Calculate your BMI
    Use this chart: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf
    For example, I am 68 inches and 131 lbs, so I am about a 20 BMI.

Now:

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.6
    On workout days: 1.8

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.5
    On workout days: 1.7

So for me, I'll do
    Non-workout days: X = 1222.54 * 1.6 = 1956 calories
    Workout days: X = 1222.54*1.8 = 2201 calories

Now, the book says that if you are also trying to lose lbs, you can subtract up to 300 cals from both days.

So I can eat NO LESS THAN a NET calorie count of 1656 calories, or 1901 if I worked out that day.

I'm starting at 1700/1950 for now, might go up a little more as my body gets used to eating this much. I was at 1300 so it is a big change for me!!!

The book also recommends doing 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. To set all of these manually, you can do a custom goal setting in MFP.

These calculations are approximations based off of averages, thus if you try it for a few weeks and you find it's not working how you want it to, then you can change it. The workout-days account for ~250 calorie burns because it is for ~30 min lifting sessions. If you do high intensity cardio one day and burn more than that, then you should eat more than that.

Good luck to all!

Hey, i know Alen Cosgrove is a fantastic author and has vast knowledge in training but weight loss really comes down to how much you want to lose and in how much time

1. Fat is not metabolically active. for a kilo of fat to sit on your body you burn about an extra 2 calories a day. if someone is 30 kilos over wight that equation would let that person eat huge amounts of calories, i'm a male at 6ft and i don't need to eat any more than 2000 cals and that's on working and training days.

2.your bmr is your bmr it wont change, you will have pretty much the same resting metabolic rate and the person who is the same sex and height as you. you metabolism is largly made of of your organs, bones and yea a little bit for muscle. but for you to function frm day to day just to stay alive...thats what you are actually eating for. if you eat less you will lose fat if you eat more you will gain

i highly recomend you and anyone trying to lose weight. find out your bmr and eat 500 cals less as a bar minimum. if you want to lose fat faster it a little less each day. You will not starve!

i highly recomend reading up on Eat stop Eat by brad Pilon

My BMR is 1450.....so what you're suggesting is that I eat only 950? (1450-500=950) I can gaurantee you that at 950 calories a day, I would surely starve ;) lol.

Thank goodness I have enough sense to research what my body needs, otherwise you would have just put me on the most ridiculous "diet" of my life lol.

there are 2 ways to weight loss... 1. Eat below Bmr... you will lose fat.... 2. Eat at your bmr Exactly and exercise to get below your bmr.

please watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_RV7Z7hXE

Thank goodness I have done all the research and know enough about fat loss and muscle building that all my clients get guaranteed results

Take it from me, I have lost 50 kilos im just trying to offer REAL advice and not some diet that in 4 months time you have only lost .5 kilos
  • shannonbillows
    Options
    your simply.. eating too much, or you miscalculating how much your eating or you may have miscalculated what yourbmr actually is. even them your BMr is just a guideline of how much you should eat it can vary 400- or 400+ what your bmr states its just an average. here is my analogy.If you take veryone in Australia, added how much every makes working. then divide it by the amount of people it could ssay everyone earns an avrage of $60,000 a year... then you can turn around and say hey.. but i make 80,000 a year... is just a guideline you then have to play with the numbers a little.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • BrandiD56
    BrandiD56 Posts: 103
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • shannonbillows
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women suggests using these guidelines for calculating how many calories to eat each day:

Step 1: Find your weight in Kilograms
    Take your weight and divide it by 2.2 = your weight in kilograms.
    For example, I weigh 131 lbs, so in kilograms I weigh 59.55 kg

Step 2: Calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate
    Multiply your weight in kilograms by 7.18
    (MY example:) 59.55*7.18 = 427.54

Now add 795
    795+427.54 = 1222.54
    We'll call that number X

Step 3: Calculate your BMI
    Use this chart: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf
    For example, I am 68 inches and 131 lbs, so I am about a 20 BMI.

Now:

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.6
    On workout days: 1.8

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.5
    On workout days: 1.7

So for me, I'll do
    Non-workout days: X = 1222.54 * 1.6 = 1956 calories
    Workout days: X = 1222.54*1.8 = 2201 calories

Now, the book says that if you are also trying to lose lbs, you can subtract up to 300 cals from both days.

So I can eat NO LESS THAN a NET calorie count of 1656 calories, or 1901 if I worked out that day.

I'm starting at 1700/1950 for now, might go up a little more as my body gets used to eating this much. I was at 1300 so it is a big change for me!!!

The book also recommends doing 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. To set all of these manually, you can do a custom goal setting in MFP.

These calculations are approximations based off of averages, thus if you try it for a few weeks and you find it's not working how you want it to, then you can change it. The workout-days account for ~250 calorie burns because it is for ~30 min lifting sessions. If you do high intensity cardio one day and burn more than that, then you should eat more than that.

Good luck to all!

Hey, i know Alen Cosgrove is a fantastic author and has vast knowledge in training but weight loss really comes down to how much you want to lose and in how much time

1. Fat is not metabolically active. for a kilo of fat to sit on your body you burn about an extra 2 calories a day. if someone is 30 kilos over wight that equation would let that person eat huge amounts of calories, i'm a male at 6ft and i don't need to eat any more than 2000 cals and that's on working and training days.

2.your bmr is your bmr it wont change, you will have pretty much the same resting metabolic rate and the person who is the same sex and height as you. you metabolism is largly made of of your organs, bones and yea a little bit for muscle. but for you to function frm day to day just to stay alive...thats what you are actually eating for. if you eat less you will lose fat if you eat more you will gain

i highly recomend you and anyone trying to lose weight. find out your bmr and eat 500 cals less as a bar minimum. if you want to lose fat faster it a little less each day. You will not starve!

i highly recomend reading up on Eat stop Eat by brad Pilon

I can only assume what you mean is TDEE (Total Daily Estimated Expenditure) and not BMR because NOBODY should eat their BMR - 500 or they will die. Basically. Your BMR is what your body needs just to stay alive.

No i clearly stated BMR..

Your BMr is what you need to do, most people don't even move more than 2000 steps a day do you know how much that actually burns... Not very much at all. about an extra 100 calories and im being generous.

Watch this by john Barban. he puts it as simple as it can possibly be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_RV7Z7hXE
  • LadyWingsFan
    Options
    Bump to read at work ha!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
  • Smuterella
    Options
    your simply.. eating too much, or you miscalculating how much your eating or you may have miscalculated what yourbmr actually is. even them your BMr is just a guideline of how much you should eat it can vary 400- or 400+ what your bmr states its just an average. here is my analogy.If you take veryone in Australia, added how much every makes working. then divide it by the amount of people it could ssay everyone earns an avrage of $60,000 a year... then you can turn around and say hey.. but i make 80,000 a year... is just a guideline you then have to play with the numbers a little.

I don't think you understand what BMR is. BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you just stayed in bed ALL DAY. It is what you would burn in a coma. You really should not eat below this for a long period of time as you need those basic calories to breathe and for your brain and heart to function.

You need to take your BMR and multiply it by something (an activity multiplier) to get your TDEE, your daily calorie burn including your usual daily activity. So, if you have a deskjob and don't exercise you would use 1.2

From this TDEE you can then deduct the number of calories you want for your deficit.

Does that make sense?
  • Smuterella
    Options
    This is a moot point on this thread however as NROL4W does not work like that.
  • shannonbillows
    Options

I don't think you understand what BMR is. BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you just stayed in bed ALL DAY. It is what you would burn in a coma. You really should not eat below this for a long period of time as you need those basic calories to breathe and for your brain and heart to function.

You need to take your BMR and multiply it by something (an activity multiplier) to get your TDEE, your daily calorie burn including your usual daily activity. So, if you have a deskjob and don't exercise you would use 1.2

From this TDEE you can then deduct the number of calories you want for your deficit.

Does that make sense?

Direct quote from " http://www.adonisindex.com/calculating-metabolic-rate-how-to-really-do-it/ "

"Metabolic Rate…Metabolism, BMR, RMR…these are buzz words that the diet and fitness media throw around all the time, however it’s greatly misunderstood.

There are many ‘metabolic rate’ calculators online that you can use to supposedly find out what your specific metabolic rate is by typing in your height, age, gender and weight. Some even have an ‘activity factor’ built into the calculator that is supposed to incorporate the amount of calories you are burning when you partake in various daily activities.

Do you think a simple calculator can really estimate your metabolic rate exactly?
    Metabolic rate calculators are meant to be estimators, not fact. If you type your information into a calculator and it says your metabolic rate is 2500 calories per day, but when you eat 2500 calories per day you gain weight, then you have proof that your metabolic rate is actually lower than this number. You also have proof that the calculator is wrong.

This however is not how many people view this sort of situation. I get countless emails from people who say they’ve used a calculator and the calculator says their metabolic rate is X or Y, and when they try to eat that much they gain weight. Instead of believing that the calculator is broken or wrong they instead believe there is something wrong with themselves because they don’t fit into what the calculator said.

The tragedy is the fact that most people have the automatic assumption that they are broken instead of the calculator. This has to change if people are going to start having a healthier attitude and clearer picture of what it takes to get in shape and stay in shape."

The point is not moot as what i am advising is that if you arent losing weight dont be afraid to go a little lower than what is written in a book or online calculator if weight loss is your goal, not every single person is a machine with exact specifics.
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Smuterella
    Options
    @shannonbillow:

I'm not saying it is an exact science, but eating very low amounts for a long period of time is not healthy. You will struggle to find anyone who thinks it is. Yawn.

Also, that "Adonix Index" site has moneymaking scam written all over it. *rolly eyes*

I'm walking away from this, that is not me accepting your argument, more that I feel it is futile to discuss this with you any further if you are using that website as support.
  • Sawatkins
    Sawatkins Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Interesting...
  • shannonbillows
    Options
    @shannonbillow:

I'm not saying it is an exact science, but eating very low amounts for a long period of time is not healthy. You will struggle to find anyone who thinks it is. Yawn.

Also, that "Adonix Index" site has moneymaking scam written all over it. *rolly eyes*

I'm walking away from this, that is not me accepting your argument, more that I feel it is futile to discuss this with you any further if you are using that website as support.

Its not an argument Lisa, its a fact. feel free to walk away
    i have worked in the fitness and health industry for the past 4 years, and let me guess i bet you still believe in eating 6 meals a day spaced 3 hours apart.

when new research is provided for you with out any evidence to knock it back you simply say you dont want to acknowledge it...

i bit you good luck in your journey in fatloss, i really do.

and at the same time i am NOT Saying Alen cosgrave is wrong i have very high respect for him and his information but if it doesn't work... Its not the be all end all, i'm and simply offering a second opinion where most people will just tell you to eat more to lose weight....

and i would like to point out that there is no reason for you to starve if you have body fat. BODY FAT IS STORED ENERGY... That why you are dieting in the first place... for those people who are forward thinkers

and i no way did i condone eating VERY low calories for a extreme amounts of time. i can pretty much grantee if you were to eat the required amount of fat carbs and proteins on a daily basis it could pretty much come just under 1000 cals a day.

Just another story that may interest you about starving.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/?page=1

AB fasted for 382 days, drinking only water and taking vitamin, potassium, and sodium supplements. All told, he lost 276 pounds, reaching his target weight of 180 pounds and maintaining the bulk of his weight loss. Over the five following years of observation, AB regained just sixteen pounds.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options

^^^ That.

This has gone WAY off-topic.

NROLFW gives you a formula for calculating calories. It is based on gross calories, not net like MFP. Just figure out the number using the NR formula, set your goal calories to the non-workout-days amount, then log exercise on your lifting days but don't eat beyond the amount recommended for your workout-days calories. (For moderate cardio days I stay at the lower number.)
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options

^^^ That.

This has gone WAY off-topic.

NROLFW gives you a formula for calculating calories. It is based on gross calories, not net like MFP. Just figure out the number using the NR formula, set your goal calories to the non-workout-days amount, then log exercise on your lifting days but don't eat beyond the amount recommended for your workout-days calories. (For moderate cardio days I stay at the lower number.)

Yes off topic!
    Also in the book he recommends that if at least do the stage 1 and if you gain inches then you put in a calorie deficet. Or if you have any of the symptoms he lists this means you are not eating enough so up your calories. Because everyone is different and he stresses that the calorie numbers are a starting point. I have to usually eat more than the formula otherwise I am starving! And I am still losing inches and gaining muscle.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The point is not moot as what i am advising is that if you arent losing weight dont be afraid to go a little lower than what is written in a book or online calculator if weight loss is your goal, not every single person is a machine with exact specifics.

I said that in the OP that you have to adjust after a month or so based on your progress.
  • ieva015
    ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump for when i'm in maintaining :)
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    bump
  • sare_sweetheart
    Options
    bump!