How to transition from treadmill to outdoor running

Options
124»

Replies

• scubachic77
    scubachic77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you need to fight through it... i think you are out of your comfy zone and it's something different.. Clearly you have the cardio but you get nervous when it doesn't feel the same. I bet you, you are even running faster outside and that will feel different.

Like someone else mentioned run 1 min and walk 2, or whatever you want, but i really think you can do it, you just need to do it..

I have been running for years and for whatever reason the first few minutes of all my runs seem to be the hardest. Once i get past the first 5mins it seems normal. I am not going to say it's easy but it doesn't seem as hard as the first few minutes.

^^^This :smile: ^^^
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add - If there is an accessible running track in your area, use it! It isn't the same as pavement, but it isn't as easy as treadmill. The running track at my gym helped me get the pacing issue down without too much trouble, as well as the pushing off thing. When you are more comfortable running on the nice, even track with lovely squish, gradually move to the more fun pavement with it's solid ground and hills.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You know you can do the distance, I'd just take the speed waaaaay down at first when you're running outside, so it's barely faster than a walk. After a while you'll come to enjoy running outside far more, and find it much easier than the treadmill as there are lots of distractions! Your speed will come up to your indoors pace very quickly too, and may exceed it before too long. I wouldn't bother with transitioning via intervals or hills on the treadmill, just get out there ASAP!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    1) Step off the treadmill
    2) Open the door (preferably one that leads outdoors)
    3) Walk through the door
    4) Close the door and lock it, if needed.
    5) Start running!

Simple enough, right?!?
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i noticed that its easier to lose proper running form when you're outside.. i suppose being on the road with more distractions could be it.

when i lose form i get tired much quicker...so i've been really trying to slow it down, watch your form and keep practicing.

In time, it'll get better.
  • twinlaced
    twinlaced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh I never even thought of allergies. That is probably my issue since I usually always incline my treadmill.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    maybe you could try the couch to 5k program
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I was stunned to realize how much different running outside is. There were three things that helped me transition the two, although I still go much further on the treadmill, I can do two miles on pavement now. I'd love to work it up more, but life hasn't allowed for it.
    Anyway, first off, pay attention to your pacing. I wanted to go so much faster on the pavement, I was winded almost right away. So find a song that has a strong beat that matches your comfortable treadmill speed, and listen to that when you start out running outside.
    Second, don't forget to breath. It sounds silly, but I got so excited I forgot to pay attention to my breathing.
    Third, start putting the treadmill on an incline of at least 1. I read somewhere (shrug as to where) that when you run on a treadmill, you are just sorta hopping your body along with the moving track, you aren't actually having to propel yourself. If you tilt that track up just a bit, it helps you get used to the bit more work that outside calls for.
    Don't give up. It's so much easier to stop when you are running outside, which makes it that much harder to push through the same barriers that we push through on the treadmill, just because while running outside we don't have the chance to yell at ourselves when in a moment of weakness we reach for the button to slow down. Outside, we can just stop, so it's harder not to. I hope that makes sense...
    I'm sure that there are a bunch of other tips, and I hope someone posts them, but as a newbie runner these were the best for me.

^^This! I am doing C25k and not that far along. I started on the treadmill doing intervals this month but just moved outside today. Wow! MUCH different. I noticed all those things that were mentioned above..I went so slow jogging that a toddler would've passed me but I didn't give up..Keep at it and good things will come (at least I'm hoping)!

I was the same.... I did the C25K program on the treadmill and thought... OK... I'm ready for outdoors.... lasted less than 1/2 mile. I ended up doing the C25K program outside, but I started in week 4 (vs. week 1).

What the above posters have said is true.... go slow, pay attention to your pace, concentrate on your breathing. I use the RUNKEEPER app on my iPhone, and I have it tell me my distance, current pace, average pace and current running speed every 5 minutes. If I'm running too fast, I slow down.

After completing the C25K program outside, I ran my first 5K 2 days later.... finished under 40 minutes.... that was the beginning of December. I ran my first 10K on March 18th, and can now run about 7.5 miles!!! I was NEVER a runner before. If I can do it.... you can too!!!

Good luck and take your time. And remember... no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch!!
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    1) Step off the treadmill
    2) Open the door (preferably one that leads outdoors)
    3) Walk through the door
    4) Close the door and lock it, if needed.
    5) Start running!

Simple enough, right?!?

Yes if I was asking how get off the treadmill to run outside, but thanks anyways.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have not read everyone's post so I'm sorry if I am repeating....

I run inside and outside. When your on the treadmill it does the pacing for you, out side it's all you. Maybe invest in a garmin gps watch, as it helps with the pacing. Or, start jogging very slowly. My gues is like a hourse out of the gate your running way fatser then you think you are outside. Also add a little incline to the treadmill runs.

Good luck!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    Try the C25K program it really works

^^this... I have the same problem but this has definitely helped. Also, I've found it helpful to put the treadmill at a slight incline b/c jogging/walking with no grade isn't making you work that hard after you've gotten used to the exercise.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I'm just the opposite. I can run much longer outside than on the treadmill (*yawn*...boring...). Try intervals and work on lengthening the running portion each time you go out. Good luck.

^^ Same with me. I can run a good distance outside. I used the Treadmill (for running) one time & that was all it took. Ditto on the advise too- Intervals may help you get used to outdoor running.
  • Stephyshoes
    Stephyshoes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have this issue as well! Thanks to everyone for the wonderful tips.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess my insisting on doing a 3% incline while training on the treadmill WAS an excellent idea! I'm rather worried about the transition too, but I'm going to get started outside soon!
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    when i started c25k i started on the treadmill and then attempted to continue the program outside. it set me back a bit. my suggestion is every chance you get to run outside do it. run as much as you can then walk. increase your running each time you get out there. your body has to get used to it. for me the hard part was breathing.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have not read everyone's post so I'm sorry if I am repeating....

I run inside and outside. When you're on the treadmill it does the pacing for you, out side it's all you. Maybe invest in a garmin gps watch, as it helps with the pacing. Or, start jogging very slowly. My guess is like a horse out of the gate your running way fatser then you think you are outside. Also add a little incline to the treadmill runs.

Good luck!

Now that you mention the Garmim, it's occured to me that that was the turning point for my outside running. Clearly, there is more to it that a GPS watch on my wrist, but it has made a huge difference in my running. I totally geek out over all of the stats! If you are going to stick with running it is definitely worth the investment. I love knowing what my pace is while I'm running vs having to gestimate. It's a great tool!