Snacking....how do you fight the urge?

Options
124»

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    OH! And a slowly sipped cup of tea ALWAYS solves the late night snack monster. The tea fills me up, has a touch of flavor to it AND it makes me all warm and sleepy! Tea is WONDERFUL.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    First line of defense is always water. I have also found ways to substitute. I have a major sweet tooth. If it enters the house, I'll eat it. So, I don't buy it. I'm also miserable if I don't have a little bite of something sweet after meals, so I've picked up some crystallized ginger. It's sweet, it's smaller bites, it's lower calories, and I love the flavor. When I have calories to spare, I eat a handful of cashews (which I also love), and it most definitely is satisfying.
  • bizmarie
    bizmarie Posts: 6
    Options
    thanks. recently someone told me about a recipe. make mashed potatoes using cauliflower for the mashed potatoes with some ranch dressing? worth a shot lol.

I've tried that and it is good. Mashed potato it isn't though.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    First line of defense is always water. I have also found ways to substitute. I have a major sweet tooth. If it enters the house, I'll eat it. So, I don't buy it. I'm also miserable if I don't have a little bite of something sweet after meals, so I've picked up some crystallized ginger. It's sweet, it's smaller bites, it's lower calories, and I love the flavor. When I have calories to spare, I eat a handful of cashews (which I also love), and it most definitely is satisfying.

Me too! What's up with that? Sometimes it feels like I'm not digesting properly if I don't get a touch of sugar after my meal. It's weird...
  • hollz118
    hollz118 Posts: 10
    Options
    BUMP... love this topic
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I dont I just snack. I pack several very low cal snacks for myself and eat when I am hungry. I usually snack three or four times a day. A cup of natural applesauce, a piece of fruit, celery with hummus, carrots, raw nuts etc.
  • steve929
    steve929 Posts: 7
    Options
    As said many times I do between 2-3 Litres of water a day, every day I have found half fat cottage cheese with pineapple on crisp bread excellent, I chew gum as well (not at the same time :wink: ) From my previous experience I am about to start on Almonds (good if your lifting,but watch the fat content) Any way just thought I would chuck my two penneth in .....Keep Going Mate ! :smile:
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    fat free greek yogurt is great with some berries

i like different types of teas (get bored easily so need to change it up)...lemon mint tea and green tea are my two favs but also love english breakfast (with 1% milk no sugar)

love fruit so will have an orange or apple with peanut butter (apples alone make me hungry)

100 calorie snack packs are great providing you decide to stick to one serving and not the whole box:smile:

carrot sticks/veggies are boring on their own so i pair it with hummus or the laughing cow light cheese for some extra flava

i will nibble on some dark organic chocolate here n there (85%-90% cocoa)..you can pair some dark chocolate bits with some nuts, dried fruits, low sugar cereal, for a trail mix...keep them in little bags so you grab one and dont overdo it

at the end of the day all meals incl snacks should be enjoyable for a person so that eating habit is sustainable long term and not as a quick diet fix

and if all else fails...I just visualize logging those extra unhealthy calories on MFP, and that in itself is a deterrent:laugh: