Is "Clear American" Flavored Sparkling Water too good to be

Options

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    More propaganda pure and simple. There has never been one proven study anywhere in the world that Aspartame has any risk to human health whatsoever. It has been around for 40 years and not one sickness or death has ever been linked to it in any way.

Again- thank you!! :)
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have some when I go to my dad's house because they LIVE off that stuff. Soooo many bottles in the house. I think it's a better choice than my dad's previous addiction to diet coke, but wouldn't buy it for myself. I just enjoy it when I visit home every month or two or so. :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The whole aspartame thing aside, I would try not to rely solely on the flavored water because the sweetener can dry your mouth out and thus cause you to drink more. If you're at home and chilling out, that's fine but for working out or going to the gym I'd tough it with plain water just for the better hydration.

I used to drink the stuff myself, so I know from personal experience. It doesn't happen to everyone but I know heavy consumption of it (I'm talking more than 2 bottles per day) often turned my stomach, I get the same reaction from anything with aspartame in it.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I generally stay away from anything with aspartame, except for very occasionally - but honestly, I would never consume something daily (or more than once daily) that contains it. You're definitely better off drinking regular water...but, it's really a matter of how you feel about artificial sweeteners and their potential risks - some people don't care about it.

Thanks! I'm going to check out some of the risks of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners.

If you want to stay away from aspartame, you could try Life Water. They use Stevia which is an all natural zero calorie sweetener. They are really tasty too. Just look for the "light" ones because they have regular drinks with sugar as well.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The recent study they had on the news was that the artificial sweeteners eliminated some of the probiotics in your digestion. So I guess if you want to drink it just replace your probiotics with a supplement. To each thier own.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    :it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12180494

Science trumps alarmism

Amen to that. So tired of the doomsday prophesies of asparatame and other sweeteners. Ughhhh.....

There's plenty of documentation on aspartame *not* being a good thing to ingest - particularly in large quantities (like lots of soda). If the product is stored in the heat, one of the products in breaks down into is pretty toxic, if I remember correctly.

Personally, it gives me migraines.

The methanol in aspartame when heated up turns into Formeldahyde. But it is supposively not harmful....Lots of controversial issues.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I love this stuff. I buy it and the diet lipton green tea too. I drink mostly water all day long at work so I like having something with flavor later in the day or with my dinner. In relation to artificial sweeteners I guess most of this is personal preference. I would rather have a diet drink with a minimal amout of aspartame then a 240 calorie regular soda. The amount of it in one or two drinks is so miniscule that to me drinks with sugar make me feel worse. I also don't mind the taste of diet because its just something I've gotten use to. Happy drinking!
  • DannieElise
    DannieElise Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I generally stay away from anything with aspartame, except for very occasionally - but honestly, I would never consume something daily (or more than once daily) that contains it. You're definitely better off drinking regular water...but, it's really a matter of how you feel about artificial sweeteners and their potential risks - some people don't care about it.

This is your best answer.

Regardless, as delicious as it is, you should NOT count it in your water count for the day. Try to count only pure water in your count for the day. I love tea and I'll have a diet soda about once a week but any drink w/ an artificial sweetener or diuretic doesn't really hydrate you. Just a word to the wise. :flowerforyou:

I totally agree! Clear American will not count in my water count for the day; but rather will replace the occasional soda I'd usually have.
  • DannieElise
    DannieElise Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Thanks! I'm going to check out some of the risks of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners.

If you want to stay away from aspartame, you could try Life Water. They use Stevia which is an all natural zero calorie sweetener. They are really tasty too. Just look for the "light" ones because they have regular drinks with sugar as well.

Thanks! I'll check out Life Water too!
  • PMQ2011
    PMQ2011 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Pineapple Coconut flavor is delish!!!
  • mimifh
    mimifh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree! Nothing should totally replace our water intake..but I am with you...I LOVE THE STUFF!! I also use it as the liquid in my fruit smoothies...just add a little to help make it not too thick.
  • DavidHausfeld
    DavidHausfeld Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There will always be someone who will find something wrong with something. People freak out over the simplest of things. Take good old natural H2O for example. Did you know that arsenic is supposed to be in water? It is a natural ingredient found in small quantities and is totally safe for you in. Yet you will find that water filters and some bottled waters will advertise that arsenic in water is a serious health issue.

Just like anything else, moderation needs to be applied in everything you do. I love these Clearly American flavored waters (except the one with coconut in it, and the mandarin lime one could go away also). But I won't drink 5 of them a day for a month either. Have one, or two and enjoy them. They are still way better than a Coke or Pepsi anyday.

Thank you mimifh for the idea of using these in smoothies... freaking awesome idea!!