How much weight did you lose before you bought new clothes?

Options
How much weight did you lose before you bought new clothes. I have lost 32 lbs and my clothes are getting super baggy, ive had to cut my belt and add new holes to it, but im still hesitant to buy new clothes because i hope not to fit into those either by summer. I'm thinking i may just buy a few cheap items and then weight for summer to "renew the wardrobe" My goal is to lose 87lbs total so i still have a ways to go, but it does feel good when your previous pants that you would only wear with a hoodie because of the major muffin top they created, go on and are baggy!

So, when did you buy your new wardrobe?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My whole goal was to lose 16 pounds, and by the end, I badly needed new clothes! I would go ahead and buy some cheap things if I were you. Thrift/consignment stores and clearance racks are your friends!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My mind has not caught up with my body's weight loss. I have not bought too many new clothes because I am still in the process of losing and my sizes are changing QUICKLY. I have no intention on being this size come vacation in July. A friend suggested going to a consignment shop and buying a few cheap staples to get my through. That's probably your best option if you're not looking drop a fortune and you're being aggressive with your loss.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I waited til I was within I think 10 lbs of my goal weight. So about after 28 pounds lost.

BUT, i was really looking pretty hobo-like by that time. My mom helped me do some quick and dirty alterations to my pants so I could continue wearing them until I bought new, but they were still very ill-fitting.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I certainly haven't lost 32 lbs but I have had to buy new jeans cause they were literally falling off me. Not shirts too much yet. I have some size L that I've been able to get back into but haven't really bought too much new. I've only bought new because my old stuff is so old. lol I would buy a few pieces to at least get through summer. Then when you get to goal, go wild!
  • accpepper
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I've lost 56 pounds so far this year and my clothes are getting baggy too. I am digging through my closet to find old clothes from years ago. My friend suggested that I go to Goodwill and spend a couple bucks on jeans that will last me though the weight loss. I work in a business professional enviornment and skirts and dresses have a little more flexiblity when changing sizes, I pin mine if it is too baggy. I dont want to buy too many new clothes as I am still loosing. I like the little baggy clothes as it reminds me where I've been and how hard I worked to get here. Keep up the great work!
  • mandimommy
    Options
    I've lost 22 pounds and only bought new undies so far. I had a lot of pre-baby jeans I couldn't fit into and now I wear those. A little outdated, but holding me over until I drop a size and need to buy new.
  • gibbsterp08
    Options
    I am down 25 pounds and the clothes have started falling off. I needed to get some new pants that I could wear to work. When I went to try on clothes I found out I was down two sizes! I suggested getting a few things that fit you well- not spending alot of money on them (got some jeans at JCP for pretty cheap). Getting clothes that fit well will boost the self confidence. I have noticed I get more compliments on my weight loss (though this isn't why I am losing weight) and I feel better about myself and have more motivation to keep going.
  • oceanamy2287
    oceanamy2287 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am a big girl with about 80 pounds to lose, so it took me about 25 pounds before my pants looked like clown pants and my shirts felt like pajamas. I just recently bought new clothes and some of them are already a little big...
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    ive lost 33lbs so far and I have bought 1 pair of trousers lol

ive still 21lbs to lose and until I do I will be spending the minimum I can on clothes
  • nancy5012
    nancy5012 Posts: 40
    Options
    I held off as long as I could, but at about 30 lbs down I finally had to get some new jeans and a couple of shirts.

And I am so glad I did - I got the least expensive (walmart) because I was still in the losing phase. But it made me feel so much better to have clothes that fit . I felt that I looked better and that kept the motivation going.

So I would suggest getting a few things to transition as you continue to lose. You will not regret it!
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Buy some new clothes now - make it a positive thing. By waiting it makes it a daunting task to lose more weight before you buy new clothes. Reward yourself - yes, consignment clothes & thrift shops are perfect places to get some new outfits. And take your old fat clothes and throw them out or give them away - don't have them hanging around as a temptation to ever fit back into them! You'll feel so much better in some new things and will refreshed and invigorated to keep going.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thrift/consignment stores and clearance racks are your friends!

I completely agree with this. I go to thrift / consignment shops first (mainly Goodwill), then clearance racks and sales at other stores. I always liked shopping but I love it now. It also makes me feel better to fit into the smaller size clothes...gives me motivation to keep up the good work. Congrats on your success so far!
  • tb_friend
    tb_friend Posts: 11
    Options
    I purchesed some new clothes last night after losing some weight my clothing looked like I needed to join a street gang with all the sagging going on.

I ended up going from a size 16-18 pants to 10-12 and my work shirts went from an XL to a Small-Medium.
    Before this I only got new underware and was rolling my pants down at the waist and wearing a belt.

I feel like a new person today in clothing that fits. I would encourage you to at least purchase a few new items but wait for a new wardrobe before replacing it all...thats what I am doing.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    And take your old fat clothes and throw them out or give them away - don't have them hanging around as a temptation to ever fit back into them! You'll feel so much better in some new things and will refreshed and invigorated to keep going.

I agree with this too! Throw out the beat up things but give the others to family / friends or donate them. I drop them off at Goodwill then go in the store and look for smaller sizes :)
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    All of my clothes are getting really big, too! I've started slowly replacing things...just buying a few cheaper items here and there. I don't plan on doing a full re-wardrobeing endeavor until I've reached my goal and I try on all the clothes I have to see what fits and what doesn't anymore.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    7 lbs is when I bought my first smaller size.
    I have been buying a few smaller things as I go, and I always get them on the small side. Trying to not stock up in the mean time....wearing ALOT of skirts and dresses, you never get diaper butt and they pretty much always fit!

And I am accumulating a donate pile as I go...when I buy one new thing, one old thing HAS to go.

17245635.png
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I bought one piece or kind per month, or a few pieces, but then for no more than 100€. In September I bought new jeans, in October I bought new underwear, in November I bought new sweaters, in December it was new workout pants, in January new shoes, in February new jeans again, in March a new spring jacket, in April I will buy a black suit and 4 blouses ( which I need for work and special days), in June it's gonna be shirts I guess... whatever I need most... and trying not to buy expensive ones, because what I buy now, might be too big in Autumn, and will be too big next spring.
    Most of what I bought last summer is too big now :-(
  • slparsaca
    slparsaca Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds total and my clothes are getting pretty baggy. I am not going to buy a new wardrobe until I meet my goal. Until then I'll go to the thrift stores.
  • robbiemac00
    robbiemac00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It was the holidays I started in June of this past year. I told everybody that for christmas and my birthday which was 2 weeks after christmas to get me money so I could buy new clothes and I still do it from time to time if the sale is really good. My goal is to be at a 34 this summer im at a 36 I started at a 40-42.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thrift/consignment stores and clearance racks are your friends!

I completely agree with this. I go to thrift / consignment shops first (mainly Goodwill), then clearance racks and sales at other stores. I always liked shopping but I love it now. It also makes me feel better to fit into the smaller size clothes...gives me motivation to keep up the good work. Congrats on your success so far!

This definitely, I am down 68, I have purchased new (new to me) clothes 3 times in my process so far. I am hoping for one more trip but to the real stores and the real racks, because I have almost earned my final goal reward! Buy cheap and keep up the excellent work! Great Job! :flowerforyou: