How much weight did you lose before you bought new clothes?

Options

Replies

• Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When i lost 30 i was forced to go buy new clothes. My fiancee and my dad were just not having it with me walking around in sagging pants.

Now that i've lost 35+ some of the clothes i bought dont fit any more. Especially the bathing suites i just bought in Jan... they fall down.. damnit! lol =)
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    For a while, I didn't even notice that I was losing weight, and I had been LIVING in my work out clothes. I was down about 20 lbs before I put some jeans on and was like... Holy ****?
    So I went to the store and grabbed the next size down... Too big... Size down... Too big. WTF?
    5's?! Oh yes. I guess I kinda liked it this way cause it made me feel like the weight loss was fast... Even though it took like 6 months.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have bought a couple pairs of new pants/jeans on sale or clearance for each size i have dropped. i was a size 22 and am now a 12/14 and i can NOT stand baggy clothes. I am pear shaped so I have been wearing alot of the same shirts, just now the shirts that were way to tight on me (and that i really probably should not have been been wearing) are lose and baggy on me. I am starting to get to the point though that alot of those are to big and if I find a cute shirt on clearance or sale I am buying it because I am pretty thin on the top now and really just need to lose more on the bottom. My goal is 8/10 and when I reach that I plan on doing some major shopping.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thrift/consignment stores and clearance racks are your friends!

they are also the friend of your wallet, not to mention the environment...reduce, reuse, recycle!!!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I will probably start buying some new clothes within the next month or two... Ideally I'd like to have lost at least 15lbs before I start buying new. I only want to lose about 25lbs total...
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Go to the thrift stores. I've found some great clothes there. I hope to lose another size or so but my old pants just couldn't cut it any longer so I got some new stuff there. We have several thrift stores around my house so I had a lot to choose from.
  • RhythmGypsi
    RhythmGypsi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    During my shrinking process, I've been buying all of my clothes at the Goodwill, during their sale days :) $3 jeans and $2 shirts all the way! That way, I haven't felt guilty getting rid of them while I've been shedding all these sizes. I am less than 20 pounds away from my goal weight, so for me the biggest gift I can give myself is a new wardrobe. I just don't feel comfortable spending a good amount of money on something that I won't be able to wear for many years. I have no plans going back to my starting weight (does anyone? lol), and since I am a frugal person, having those XS/S size clothing in my closet will be a constant reminder of: don't waste money / don't gain fat.

Good luck to you! <3

12161155.png
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a new outfit for every 10-15 lbs I lost. It worked for the first 20 or so lbs. Then I found myself buying more and more clothes. I started with shirts that were XL to tops that are SM-Med. My pant size went from a size 14 to a size 5-7. Luckily, i hadn't completely thrown out all my highschool jeans cause they all fit. I find clothing to be the biggest motivator. There is nothing like trying on a pair of pants in a smaller size and having them fit. Now when i go to try on pants, i bring 3 different sizes in with me.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    :laugh: The benefit of how I gained weight (so quickly that is...bah!), is that I still have some clothes from each of my sizes as I gained. Now that I'm losing, I've been able to get back into some of my old things.

I think the thrift store idea is just great though!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I mostly bought pants as I needed them- i.e when they were so big that they wouldn't stay on, or made me look like I was wearing an adult diaper under them.

If its a transition, then go to a store like target/walmart/marshalls and pick up a couple cheap pairs that will last you till you are closer to your goal weight. Once you hit your goal weight or are closer to it- then that's when I started to buy new clothing.
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thrift/consignment stores and clearance racks are your friends!

Definitely agree. I've been raiding the clearance racks at Target for pants lately. My shirts still look a bit baggy, but at least I don't have to worry about them falling down.

Once I'm past this stage of clothing and move on to the next sizing dilemma, I'll just donate the bulk of them to Goodwill.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80lbs and I am still waiting LOL I have got a few things along the way but when your working out you lose so much weight quick that they dont fit in like a months time :sad:
  • liatski
    liatski Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lost 13 lbs when I realized none of my pants/skirts fit me anymore. I bought 1 pair of nice jeans, and then I took all of my suits to a tailor. Certainly cheaper than buying new suits. Plus it forces you to give up the comfort of knowing you have those bigger clothes in the closet in case you gain the weight back.
  • chezmoss
    chezmoss Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love clothes and I have them in sizes ranging from UK 8-18! I had a root though and found some great summer clothes from the last time I got down this far! Some lovely surprises! The sun has been out over here this week and I’ve felt very sassy in the spring sunshine, in my “new” clothes!

I’m down to into my smallest of sizes now and my weight goal is still 10lbs to go and I’m stuck here, so holding fire for now on a new size lower!!!

When you do buy your new clothes, enjoy, you've earned them!
    On 2 points
    1. Looking at yourself and like yourself in you new wardrobe. Make sure you buy clothes that suit your new shape.
    2. The adoration that you will get from all your hard work. I’m sure it will bring a flood of complements about your loss.

Yey to well fitted clothes that flatter your shape, what ever your size!
  • miltonp50
    miltonp50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You have all inspired me. I can't wait until I can even ask the question about living with baggy pants, etc. Congrats to you all and keep up the good work.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am currently down about 35 lb from my highest weight (not that my tracker reflects that), and have had to buy new clothes a few times. Mostly when the pants started getting really long (not as much belly to pull them up) and baggy. Same with shirts, as they started to look a little hobo-like. I try not to buy too many things, as I am still in need of dropping a lot of weight.

I went back to work full-time about 6 weeks ago, and I had to buy some new things, just so I wouldn't look sloppy at work. I shopped some serious clearance sales and outlet stores and managed to put together a new work wardrobe for about $300.

Also check places like Target online because they have clearance deals that you can't always find in the stores. I have found a few really cute dresses for under $10 each.

You can also find people who have lost weight who are looking to clear out their baggy wardrobe. I have a friend who has given me all of her bigger clothes, rather than send them to Goodwill, so that helps to supplement my small wardrobe.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to have this problem. This thread is making me think that we need to start an MFP clothing exchange.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I had 80 pounds to lose and I knew that I would have transition clothes to buy. I started at a Women's 18-20. I lost 25 and had to buy a few key pieces. I bought pants (trousers for my UK Friends), and a few shirts, blouses and few sweaters. I bought everything a bit snug and I quickly lost more weight. I am going shopping tomorrow (40lbs less now) to replace the things that are hanging off of me.

Since we are heading into summer, I will focus on summer wear. Again, only a few pieces since I have another 20-25 to go. By fall, I will be able to buy (hopefully) my final wardrobe size.

I have donated my old clothes away to family and friends that were my size, or I found an organization for battered women who have made an escape from their batterers. These women badly need professional clothing in order to get a job, and they often have the lease resources. I have a job where I must dress nice, and had a hard time just giving my suits to Good Will. I feel better about the women's shelter!
  • eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    I didn't pay much attention until my pants wouldn't stand up anymore lol. Then I purchased new clothing :)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I think I had to start buy new clothes after 20 lbs, but I didn't buy "new". I went to several local consignment stores to buy clothes when I need them. I don't wear belts, so when they got baggy I sold my old clothes and got "new ones". I have gone down 5 sizes in pants, so those consignment stores have been my best friend (for both buying and selling). I wasn't in any one size very long. Now, that I have hit my goal weight - I will buy something new since I don't plan on dropping much more. If you have a Goodwill or Salvation Army that is another suggestion. I also bought alot of clothes at yard sales when I saw something in my size or upcoming size - I always thought ahead (Just suggestions).