Why do women put on makeup and do their hair for the gym???

Options
When I go to the gym I am in some yoga pants, tank top, nike's, and hair in a ponytail. When I am working out I don't really care how I look as long as I am cool and comfortable for my workout. What I don't understand is these women who come in to the gym with a full face of makeup, hair all curled, push up bras, and then walk slowly on the treadmill and never break a sweat. I don't get it. These women are attractive enough they don't have to pay for a gym membership and get all dolled up to get attention, I am sure they get it everywhere else too. I understand a little cream for blemishes and a cute messy pony tail but not looking like your going to the club for the night. Hmmm.

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Some people like to look their best wherever they go. While I do not curl my hair or put on makeup to go to the gym (because my workouts are hard enough that I'd look ridiculous by the time I was done), I do make an effort to look nice everywhere else I go, even if I'm just running errands. And I don't do it for other people; I do it because I want to feel good about the way I look at all times. A lot of people don't care, but some people do. To each their own.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Okay.. I've never been one to care. I go to sweat and boy do I.
    But I have a gym crush now and I'll admit I wear a little concealer, some lip gloss and I curl my eyelashes (which by the time I'm done working out doesn't even matter because mascara is running :laugh: ) all because it makes me feel a little more feminine/ sexy instead of a sweaty beast woman.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Some people work out better when they feel their best. Buying cute gym clothes can be a real inspiration for some people, so I'd assume having your makeup and hair done might do the same.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    i dont do my make up or my hair. i actually prefer to not wear make up unless im coming straight from work then its already on. I do, however, take time to pick an outfit. I just feel better if im in cute yoga pants & a tank top. It doesnt have to be matching or anything but it makes my mood feel better instead of being in super baggy sweats & a big tshirt. I sweat & go just as hard as anyone else. I just prefer to wear something cute while doing it. Hair & make up..i could care less about.:ohwell:
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    1. Because they like looking good.

2. The gym guys I guess?
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Okay.. I've never been one to care. I go to sweat and boy do I.
    But I have a gym crush now and I'll admit I wear a little concealer, some lip gloss and I curl my eyelashes (which by the time I'm done working out doesn't even matter because mascara is running :laugh: ) all because it makes me feel a little more feminine/ sexy instead of a sweaty beast woman.

LOL..I have a crush on an employee at the gym ( go figure), but he has already caught me at my worst and best, so I don't care. Plus he has a GF, so I guess why bother for me? lol
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I wear make up to work and if I go to the gym straight from work I'm not gonna bother taking off my make up... I don't wear a massive amount of make up, like it's not as if I go to the gym with red lippy on and loads of eye liner lol, but I wear foundation and I'm self conscious without it, so yeah that's why..
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I hit the gym in the afternoon or after something that I have to 'look good' for. Otherwise I just wear tinted moisturizer and mascara. I am a makeup junkie and don't go anywhere without at least THAT. My hair will be in a pony tail either way. I can't stand hair in my face or on my neck when I'm working out.

As far as clothes, I like to be comfortable and be able to see my muscles working - so that means fitted tanks and yoga pants or capris....
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Maybe they have come to the gym on the way home from work or being out with friends, who knows.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I can't go anywhere without my eyeliner. That's really all the makeup I own. I have some foundation but I rarely ever wear it out. And I don't do my hair because it's a shake-n-go type hair style :laugh:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym right after work so my makeup is still on, and I'm pretty much always color coordinated or wearing a cute gym outfit...I just like to look cute at the gym, makes me feel good :) BUT I will admit, there have been times I'll see a girl with her hair done walking slower than a turtle on the treadmill for like 15 minutes and that'll be her whole workout and I think "she's doing this whole exercise thing wrong." But there could be something I don't know, like she may have had a serious back injury and that's all she can do right now, or whatever.

All I know, is if ladies are going to the gym to hunt for guys, that's the wrong approach. The guys are more impressed with the hot babes that can hit the weights like it's nobody's business :)
  • lindseym1983
    Options
    I do understand this, been there done that. But yesterday it was 9:30 in the morning. I do get matchy matchy when I go so I don't look so frumpy but I don't see the point of wearing makeup b/c personally I sweat it off and look like something out of a horror movie with the mascara down my face. :D
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    When I go to the gym it's usually after class, because my tuition covers the on campus gym fees. Anyways, if I had my hair all done up prior to the gym, I'm not going to take it down to put it into a regular ponytail. As long as it's out of my face, I'm happy. I'm the sort of girl who usually does have something done with my hair too, even if it's just curled. (which makes a regular pony tail look more "fancy")
    As for makeup, again, it's probably already on my face, and almost everything I wear is waterproof so I don't worry about it smearing around.

I DO know which type of girl you're talking about though. I find it just as baffling. I'm just saying that maybe not every girl with her hair and make up done up is that type. xD
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Because girls who care about their appearance get dolled all for where ever they go. Even if its in their own home.
    You'll never know what may happen.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Because girls who care about their appearance get dolled all for where ever they go. Even if its in their own home.
    You'll never know what may happen.
    This is the same thing I told my roommate when I checked myself in the mirror just to go downstairs to the vending machine in the dorm. Never know who could be down there, I could win $10,000 and be on television...I don't wanna look like I just spent 6 hours with my face in my pillow
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Good question. I go in the most comfy relaxed clothes I can with my hair pulled up so its out of my face and my way.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Some people like to look their best wherever they go. While I do not curl my hair or put on makeup to go to the gym (because my workouts are hard enough that I'd look ridiculous by the time I was done), I do make an effort to look nice everywhere else I go, even if I'm just running errands. And I don't do it for other people; I do it because I want to feel good about the way I look at all times. A lot of people don't care, but some people do. To each their own.

AMEN
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    How does it affect your workout if someone else dresses in a certain way? This is a silly thing to worry about.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Why do you care so much? Are you insecure about it because you don't get pretty for the gym and they do? I put on make up to get the mail. Of course I'm going to shower and put make up on for the gym. It's not affecting anyone else but myself.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I do get matchy matchy

hahaha love that