Why do women put on makeup and do their hair for the gym???

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I've learned or to care what anyone at the gym is doing so I guess I don't notice this? As per my picture (after workout) I wear no makeup at all.

On a side note- doesn't that seem like it would cause breakouts? Idunno.. :)
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to workout.....and I get so sweaty if I had on alot of make-up then it would look like my face melted when I was done working out. I say save the make-up and scents for going out not the gym.
    And that goes for guys too.....last night at the gym, a guy got on the treadmill next to me and almost killed me with his after shave......and his walking speed was 1.8 come on dude, go somewhere else. I was running trying not to gag
  • soonabi
    soonabi Posts: 2
    Options
    I do it for myself. I have very pale skin and a few age spots that I cover. My hair is straight with no body and when I wake up it looks awful - usually standing up all over my head. It's too short to put up or I would. I think when you're younger it's a lot easier to go out without makeup (I'm almost 50).
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    *shrug* Perhaps they don't NEED you to understand why they do it. Let them do what makes 'em feel good about themselves and do your own thing.

No! No! We must debate it, judge it and shame those we find to be on the losing side of the majority! That's the GD American way!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Too much vanity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I go right after work so all I do is change my clothes and tie my hair up. But Yes I know that there are women that give me stares and look me up and down like who does this chick think she is......and you know what....i dont care. I go there to get a good workout in and its the only time of the day where I can. If that means wearing makeup then owell....

I know some women that go to the gym REALLY cute! and you know what I say to that....good for them! I am sure they look good and feel good. I always feel good when I have a cute workout outfit on.

but....to each his own.....

Oh and P.S. when I get home I DO take a shower so then I scrub my face off and makeup as well. So no breakouts here :)
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I work out right after work so I'm in full makeup and yes my hair is curled in a ponytail. I'm not vain, I don't want any attention, I'm there to get my sweat on and that it!
  • soonabi
    soonabi Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't agree that it's vanity. I think it's a lack of self confidence.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    *shrug* Perhaps they don't NEED you to understand why they do it. Let them do what makes 'em feel good about themselves and do your own thing.

No! No! We must debate it, judge it and shame those we find to be on the losing side of the majority! That's the GD American way!
    1_I_Dont_Want_to_Live_on_This_Planet_Anymore-s500x282-295658-580.jpg
    i+don+t+want+to+live+on+this+planet+anymore+_604a4c84c7f6c2df496289cbfefd72a4.jpg
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I think these responses are HILARIOUS!!

I put on my make-up and do my hair prior to going to work in the morning. It just so happens that I work-out over lunch hour, so, YES, my make-up is "done" and my hair (although gathered into a ponytail) is "done".

I didn't do it FOR THE GYM...I did it for myself prior to leaving my home in the morning.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Women would rule the world if only they could stop being so damn judgemental, stop hating on each other and get along.

LOL
  • ehensarling17
    ehensarling17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Why do you care so much? Are you insecure about it because you don't get pretty for the gym and they do? I put on make up to get the mail. Of course I'm going to shower and put make up on for the gym. It's not affecting anyone else but myself.

exactly!

Precisely! I just like to look presentable and feel pulled together. I also think boiling the whole makeup issue down to women trying to pick up a man or "advertising" is just ridiculous. I'm happily married AND wear makeup to the gym -- and I go to the gym for me.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I am in some yoga pants, tank top, nike's, and hair in a ponytail. When I am working out I don't really care how I look as long as I am cool and comfortable for my workout. What I don't understand is these women who come in to the gym with a full face of makeup, hair all curled, push up bras, and then walk slowly on the treadmill and never break a sweat. I don't get it. These women are attractive enough they don't have to pay for a gym membership and get all dolled up to get attention, I am sure they get it everywhere else too. I understand a little cream for blemishes and a cute messy pony tail but not looking like your going to the club for the night. Hmmm.

To me, the bigger deal isn't the makeup and "wardrobe" - its the walking slowly on the treadmill not breaking a sweat. I see that too and I'm always like GEEZ Louise ! Why BOTHER !!!
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    How I feel when women are jealous of hotter women

lB1JF.gif
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    My solution? I don't GO to the gym.....................

and I always wear makeup :)
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    How I feel when women are jealous of hotter women

lB1JF.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If they have the time and the "want to" - more power to them.

For me, I do good to get matching sox on. However, my 12-yr old tells me that that really isn't important anymore. :happy:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    It depends on my day. I tend to do errands around my workout, so I try to look somewhat less scary than my normal. I am 3 hairs short of bald on my eyebrows, so I darken them , liner, and upper mascara.

I am a gym rat, I am there a minimum of 5-6 days a week. I have become good friends with many of the staff, and trainers. Two months ago {on a good day!} I was approached to pose for some pictures for the monthly brochure. That picture went out to all of the member households. Thankfully is was a matchy match day, and makeup! So yes, I do wear make up to the gym!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    These kind of topics make me glad I'm not female. I can't imagine having to futz with makeup constantly. That seems to me to be my personal manifestation of hell. Having to deal with makeup while sweating would be even worse.

Personally, I don't care that there are girls at the gym who seem to be there just to be seen and text on their phone while walking slowly on the treadmill. They can waste their money if they want. However, my lack of judgement doesn't prevent me from being bemused by it.

I sweat like a pig during my workouts. I'm sure I look horrible. However, the more disheveled and sweaty I am at the end of the workout, the better I feel about what I've just done. It's a badge of honor. I'm glad I don't have to balance this tendency with my desire to look "cute" at the gym. That would suck.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I think some women get really attached to their make up. I know this girl who does that and exclusively chooses gyms that have these type of people there too. She's a bit weird and thinks people who wear make up and dress up nice won't stink when they work out. I use to go to the gym with her and all she did was complained how others stank. Shes ridiculous.

I don't pay attention to others when I use to go to the gym. I'm there to do my thing and go home. Others can treat it as a fashion show if they wanted, as long as they don't bother me than I couldn't care less XD