How often do your record your weight?

Options
Ok, I admit it, I am a bit OCD about weighing myself. I get such a high when I see those numbers going down, so I check my weight every day, sometimes twice a day. It's my thing and I own it and I know there are going to be weeks when I plateau and weeks when I gain (had that last week), but I feel that it gives me more control over what I'm doing. I noticed I was slipping more and more diet soda into my diet and my body was responding by holding onto the weight, so I'm working again to keep it to a bare minimum. Also, I know that during certain times of the month, I'm going to hold more water and the scale isn't going to budge, or it's going to go up a little. I don't feel like I'm being unhealthy about it. I know that I'm being a bit neurotic and I'm ok with that. Personally I think it's hilarious that I've upped my calories last week and the weight has been dropping faster now.

Which leads me to my question for those of us who do weigh in daily. How often do you record your weight? I try to only do it once a week, but I've lost 3lbs since my weigh in on Friday and I'm just so stinkin excited about it!!

Replies

• Earthflutter
    Options
    I've been weighing in every day, but only recording once a week. I got pretty excited to see a number in the 220's this last weekend, but then this morning it was back to 231, which was still a loss from last week. I guess I figure it would be worse to see it going down then up again if I was recording daily.

Sorry to hear your struggle with the soda. I'm thankful to have given it up nearly ten years ago now, but I see people fighting with it all the time and I remember having the urge to drink it. I think the only thing that helped me kick it completely was a fully stocked cupboard of herbal teas, which I love! Hot or iced, they always satisfy me. In this recent push - a cup of hot chai has replaced a lot of my evening snacking and I think it's made a big difference for me.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I log once a week. Sure, I see my number going down on other days and wish I could shout about it (today is one of those days), but then I just remind myself there are days when it'll go up, as well. Do I really want to weigh in, see a number that's more than a bit disappointing on a day I don't usually log, and have to put it in as official?

People on my friend list would end up seeing the same drops over and over again, congratulating me. I don't want that. I'd rather keep logging once a week, knowing that I've usually gone down after my rest day.
  • ShortInSeattle
    Options
    I weigh and record daily, and there is a lot of up-down-up-down. It's my way of getting used to normal fluctuations.
  • MotherGoddess
    MotherGoddess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily (sometimes twice). I log any time I get a record low. Down .2 from yesterday? Logged! But if I go up a bit, I wait until I have a new record low before logging again. So if I logged 146.2 today - which I did :), and tomorrow's weight is 147, then 146.5, then 146 even, I won't log again until the 146 even so I'm not recording the same pounds over and over again.
  • monharri
    monharri Posts: 78
    Options
    Every 2 weeks, because I get obsessive about it too so it's helpful for me to do 2 weeks. I hide my scale in another room so I won't be tempted to weigh myself everyday. It works for me.
  • GrnEydGrl86
    GrnEydGrl86 Posts: 154
    Options
    I weigh daily but only record my weight if its lower than the number I had before. Never if its higher :bigsmile:
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale, so I weigh and record whenever I go to my parents house. (once or twice a week.)

It's hard to get obsessive about the weight that way.
  • mignon83
    mignon83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weight myself before breakfast every morning but only log my weight on the app once a week.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only record my weight if its lower than the number I had before. Never if its higher :bigsmile:

What she said. ;) I'm actually up about 14 oz from my ticker, but I just can't bear to record it.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Just once a week, usually on a Monday. I resist the temptation to weigh every day because I like the surprise it gives me at the beginning of week :)
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but only record after the number is consistently lower (2+ days). I also ignore when its TOM, since I know its a false spike in weight.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Ok, I admit it, I am a bit OCD about weighing myself. I get such a high when I see those numbers going down, so I check my weight every day, sometimes twice a day. It's my thing and I own it and I know there are going to be weeks when I plateau and weeks when I gain (had that last week), but I feel that it gives me more control over what I'm doing. I noticed I was slipping more and more diet soda into my diet and my body was responding by holding onto the weight, so I'm working again to keep it to a bare minimum. Also, I know that during certain times of the month, I'm going to hold more water and the scale isn't going to budge, or it's going to go up a little. I don't feel like I'm being unhealthy about it. I know that I'm being a bit neurotic and I'm ok with that. Personally I think it's hilarious that I've upped my calories last week and the weight has been dropping faster now.

Which leads me to my question for those of us who do weigh in daily. How often do you record your weight? I try to only do it once a week, but I've lost 3lbs since my weigh in on Friday and I'm just so stinkin excited about it!!

I just weigh and measure once per week on a Sunday morning and only record on that day.

I used to weigh multiple times during the day, but it became an obsession and woe betold if the weight actually went up by an ounce, I would get depressed - totally and utterly ridiculous lol
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but only record a loss if I have maintained that loss for 3 days - otherwise I'd be up, down, up, down, the same 1-2 pounds over and over. When I wasn't weighing regularly was when the pounds crept on for me. Weighing daily keeps me honest.
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week every Monday and Friday but i log my weight in on Mondays on MFP.... I like weighing twice a week Monday is the start of a new week and Fridays right before the weekend
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have had to quit weighing weekly. I will be weighing myself once every 5 weeks to see if I can meet the estimate that MFP says when I complete my food diary for the day.
    For example, I entered my weight and completed my diary for this past Sunday. I should be approximately 8lbs less in 5weeks if every day is like this past sunday...and my goal is have everyday darn near close to the same.
    5 weeks form date I will weight myself...and hopefull be able to feel it.

Denise
  • pshearer7777
    pshearer7777 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I usually record it only once a week. There is no way I could go 7 days without weighing myself and just "be surprised".
  • mmartiandt
    mmartiandt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily (sometimes twice). I log any time I get a record low. Down .2 from yesterday? Logged! But if I go up a bit, I wait until I have a new record low before logging again. So if I logged 146.2 today - which I did :), and tomorrow's weight is 147, then 146.5, then 146 even, I won't log again until the 146 even so I'm not recording the same pounds over and over again.

That is what I do also!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record my weight and body fat percentage several times a week. I'd do it every day if I remembered.

To weigh oneself twice a day does not yield helpful information.
  • OliveJuice1984
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a day. Once in the morning and once before bed just because it kind of fasinates me how much our body weight changes. But I only record my weight on Sunday morning. I find it to be consistant and it has been for me. I've been on spot or above with losing two pounds a week.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I have only been at this a week. The first week I was recording any losses. I am still going to weigh myself everyday but ony record once a week and only losses lol. I have to weight myself everyday because when I have lost weight in the past and stopped weighing myself I would find my clothes getting tight and weigh myself only to find I was up close to 20 pounds. I have a weird body type that doesn gain or lose a size until close to a 20 pound gain or loss