CrossFit

Options
Does anyone here do Crossfit!? I would really like to do it, but I'm a bit scared. I will admit, I have been slacking big time in working out, but I really need to get back on track! uggghhhhhhh

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Kqctx.gif
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'd so love to be able to do that! I feel like Im still so weak , upper body wise......
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    if you do a search you will find a bunch of crossfit threads...just be prepared lots of people out there that don't like it (but yet the most vocal ones have never done it themselves....hummm)

I do it have been doing it since the beginning of the year - go 2-3 x's per week...love it - have an awesome gym with awesome coaches...every box (crossfit gym) is different so you really need to see if you can't go for a free session or talk to people who have done it at the box you are looking at doing it.

The only con is - it can be expensive...most boxes are small with small classes - around here it is anywhere from $100-150/month depending on location and how often you go and for how long (my box gives a greater dicount the more months you sign up for) - for me right now it is worth it...for other people it may not...
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I want to try it too! I'm in shape...but I'm still scared!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    thank you for the info...i know someone that just started doing it, and she loves it, however, im a bit leary since money is a bit tight right now....i'll figure something out! i just have very weak upper body strength, which im working on!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    give it a shot you might like it.

I've done it and didn't care for it.
    It's overpriced group workouts basically, with zero programming and no thought put into progression.

to each their own.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    When I took it (just one time) you could go at your own pace, so I'm going to assume most of them are like that....

I liked it a lot and heard this week that my gym is going to start offering a class in the morning at the time I usually go, so I look forward to trying more!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared! From what I understand the box you end up with makes all the difference, I am very fortunate to have a brother that has been doing it for years on his own visited a few places in my area and signed me up for a month at that one he liked best. And it is awesome! Best gift ever. You want a place that will take the time and has the knowledge to coach you properly so you don't get hurt. Our gym has a intro class and then a free week to try it out, check out your local ones see if they do something similar. Yes, it's expensive but such an investment and worth it. I'll probably switch someday to home workouts with my own equipment and Main Site WODs when I feel confident that I've had enough training on the skills.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    give it a shot you might like it.

I've done it and didn't care for it.
    It's overpriced group workouts basically, with zero programming and no thought put into progression.

to each their own.

Sounds like you went to a crappy box...

I don't agree with your claim of zero programming and no thought out progression, but like you said, to each their own.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Love it. You can do it.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit and have never seen such results so quicky! Ive only been at it for about 2 months and am completely smiten. I totally suggest you give it a go!

I wrote a blog about what to expect: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/crossfit-101-230048

EDIT: a bit on the cost, consider it like getting a personal trainer with EVERY session...i seriously get tons of attention on form and what weights to use. It is worth every penny (about 180/month for me and my hubby) and id even pay more! Ive NEVER EVER seen results like this and i've done it all (p90x, marathon training, NROLFW, general cardio, weight programs from magazines, etc.)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It is relatively expensive. I'm working with a Crossfit trainer and she's tailoring my workouts based on my goals, but she uses a lot of Crossfit stuff in my daily hell. She's opening her own box and I may or may not join it, but I like a lot of what I'm doing.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    here is a realtivly unbiased article on crossfit: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/03/01/a-beginners-guide-to-crossfit/

however, not every box is created equally. in todays information age, its on you to do your research. yes, some of these can just be over priced group bootcamp work outs. others can be very effective places to learn new things and grow in an environment that believe in support and community.

and you do not need to be super fit to go to crossfit. most boxes will offer an introductory class free of charge to see if you like it. the box i did a class at even went one step further saying that you needed to do three weeks of two classes a week that were for strictly beginners. in those 6 classes you'd be taught how to do kip up pull ups, various olympic lifts, and other staples of the crossfit community. this is done to not slow down the regular more experiences memebers in the classes.

the two things holding me back is the price, and the fact that i'm in the middle of training for a triathlon, so no time to squeeze in crossfit. however in november i'm so joining.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I would never even consider joining Crossfit.

Sure, they start you out with "the basics" and make it partly do-able, but I have seen enough of the crazy stunts they expect Crossfit participants to eventually do, and I have no intention of risking injury attempting to jump on and off 20 inch boxes, climbing roaps, or doing handstand pushups, or a bunch of that other stuff the torture experts at Crossfit call a workout.

I guess that sort of workout might be ok for a certain type of person, but that person isn't me!
  • sapalee
    Options
    I would never even consider joining Crossfit.

Sure, they start you out with "the basics" and make it partly do-able, but I have seen enough of the crazy stunts they expect Crossfit participants to eventually do, and I have no intention of risking injury attempting to jump on and off 20 inch boxes, climbing roaps, or doing handstand pushups, or a bunch of that other stuff the torture experts at Crossfit call a workout.

I guess that sort of workout might be ok for a certain type of person, but that person isn't me!

All that crazy stuff is what looks like so much fun to me! I keep working to get to that level. Funny how everyone is different.
  • Health_Gal
    Options

All that crazy stuff is what looks like so much fun to me! I keep working to get to that level. Funny how everyone is different.

If you saw photos of some of the injuries people had from doing crazy Crossfit stunts, it wouldn't seem like so much fun anymore.

I've seen photos of people that totally ripped the skin off the front of their legs attempting those crazy box jumps. Why anyone would want to risk messing up their legs that bad just to jump on and off boxes is beyond me! Especially women, who normally don't want having noticable scars that won't tan on their legs for the rest of their life!

This article from the NY Times has some excellent information for anyone that's wondering what Crossfit is about

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • sapalee
    Options

If you saw photos of some of the injuries people had from doing crazy Crossfit stunts, it wouldn't seem like so much fun anymore.

I've seen photos of people that totally ripped the skin off the front of their legs attempting those crazy box jumps. Why anyone would want to risk messing up their legs that bad just to jump on and off boxes is beyond me! Especially women, who normally don't want having noticable scars that won't tan on their legs for the rest of their life!

I have seen the photos, and you are right, they are super gnarly. Box jumps are my major weakness right now and I'm still working off a tire, a big part of it is in your head, getting past that fear, I know i'll be immensely satisfied with myself when I can do them well.

I guess I just see it as a risk like anything else. I enjoy many "risky" activities, but I'm not going to stop doing them out of fear, I've done a lot of work on myself in the past few years moving past my fears and taking on risks. Shoot, I could be horribly mutilated in a car wreck tomorrow or trip on my steps and jack up my legs. Sure, your at a higher risk by doing those activities but I feel that the incredibly rewarding experience I get from them is worth the risk.

Maybe I just get a kick out of learning or doing something I couldn't or wouldn't do before.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    It is one thing to overcome a fear that is really holding you back in life-- like a fear of flying or a fear of the dark, or something like that.

But I don't refuse to do box jumps out of fear -- I refuse to do them out of common sense! In my life, I have absolutely no need to jump on boxes. So to me, doing box jumps would come under the catagory of taking unnecessary risks.

One time an instructor at a boot camp class at the Y tried to get me to do box jumps. I refused, and I have never regretted it.

Yes, there are risks I am willing to take in life. But personally, I don't believe in doing highly risky things that have little or no real benefit.

Besides, there are so many fun things you can learn how to do that have little to no risk of injury.
  • sapalee
    Options
    It is one thing to overcome a fear that is really holding you back in life-- like a fear of flying or a fear of the dark, or something like that.

But I don't refuse to do box jumps out of fear -- I refuse to do them out of common sense! In my life, I have absolutely no need to jump on boxes. So to me, doing box jumps would come under the catagory of taking unnecessary risks.

One time an instructor at a boot camp class at the Y tried to get me to do box jumps. I refused, and I have never regretted it.

Yes, there are risks I am willing to take in life. But personally, I don't believe in doing highly risky things that have little or no real benefit.

I completely get what you are saying and where you are coming from. I guess I just want to do these things just for their own sake and the fun of it, not a need to do them. And man do they gas me out like nothing else, works every stinking part of my body and really screws with my neuromuscular coordination. I see this as something to overcome and a real benefit physically and mentally.

And I like to overcome fears whether they hold me back in life or not. When I see a weakness in myself i tend to become a bit ferocious/hardheaded to overcome. The boost I get from it propels me and gives me courage to take on larger things that could be in my way in life. It may seem silly but I've found it's what works for me. And scars are one thing I'm not afraid of.

I love how everyone is different :)