CrossFit

Options

Replies

• USMCConditioning
    Options
    i personally know people who do do crossfit, and they are definitely in shape. probably one of the best things to spend your money on, as far as going to a gym is concerned.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I worked with a Level I crossfit guy off and on for three years while I was focused on Muay Thai. Now that I'm done doing MT, I'll be joining the local box as my main means of staying in shape.

Yes, you can get injured in CF. It adds a competitive element to fitness, and anytime you add competition you risk over-exertion, over-use, failure due to fatigure or overuse, any of that. Everything that I've ever done to get in shape has come at a cost - broken toes and nose in Muay Thai, slipped disk and bone chips in lacrosse, trashed rotator cuff in volleyball... deal with it.

Yes, you can wind up at a crappy "box." Just like you can end up in a crappy Zumba class or a crappy pilates class or working out with a crappy Physical Trainer or training at a crappy martial arts school with a clown instructor. If you don't have your head up your *kitten*, you catch on and leave. If you do, you stay, and you deserve each other.

Look for a place that is serious about "scaling" you into the program... "on-ramp," "boot camp," whatever they call it. Make sure they're serious about graduated progress - measurement & tracking of PRs, etc. See if your instructors have experience in strength training beyond just CrossFit certs... did they powerlift, olympic lift, what? How long have their members been around? Are they like you, or are they all hard-core fitness die-hards?

Then just forget about what people you have never met are saying about it on the internet and go try that sh#t. If it works, great! You're strong and fit and healthy and happy. If not, on to the next.
  • Gigilly
    Gigilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here do Crossfit!? I would really like to do it, but I'm a bit scared. I will admit, I have been slacking big time in working out, but I really need to get back on track! uggghhhhhhh

There are great Crossfit trainers and some bad ones, as in any field. If you want to try a Crossfit workout at home you can do a "Cindy". This consists of 5 Pull ups ( if you haven't much upper body strength, you can try kipping which is jumping up to the bar and then extend arms or reverse rows on a bar with your body at an angle, feet on floor and body in a full length upside down plank), 10 Push Ups and 15 Air squats. You try to do this circuit as many times as you can in 20 minutes. You can also take a look at it on YouTube.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am going to my first Cross Fit class this Thursday. The first session is free, just to get a feel for it and if you like it. I may puke, I may pass out but I'm going to bring it! :)

Plus whatever I learn there, I can just take those exercises and use them at the gym instead of paying those rediculous prices.

great idea, EXCEPT you will never learn all the movements in one class. You will barely scratch the surface in your first class and will probably be learning how to do movements safely with PVC pipe.

Thanks for letting me know that. Who knows I may like it enough to keep going.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Before you go to that free Crossfit class, I would advise you to promise yourself not to make any hasty decisions about joining.

Even it you like it, wait at least a week or two to sign anything. I've heard some people that run free sample Crossfit classes have a way of getting people all pumped up about it so they will commit to joining before they leave the building.. But if you wait several days, that will give you a chance to have some time away from the pumped up endorphens and really think about it and decide if it's something you actually want to do.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Before you go to that free Crossfit class, I would advise you to promise yourself not to make any hasty decisions about joining.

Even it you like it, wait at least a week or two to sign anything. I've heard some people that run free sample Crossfit classes have a way of getting people all pumped up about it so they will commit to joining before they leave the building.. But if you wait several days, that will give you a chance to have some time away from the pumped up endorphens and really think about it and decide if it's something you actually want to do.

I actually tried to put together a polite response (well, polite for me) and am interested in your reaction to it.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

i would advise you to actually try crossfit befoire you advise ANYONE on it. You have VERY limited knowledge about what actually goes on in crossfit.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Whether you like Crossfit or not, there's NOTHING wrong with giving yourself a cooling off period before making a decision on joining a gym. Joining Crossift is a big commitment of time, energy, pain, and money.
  • marieautumn
    Options
    Whether you like Crossfit or not, there's NOTHING wrong with giving yourself a cooling off period before making a decision on joining a gym. Joining Crossift is a big commitment of time, energy, pain, and money.
    :yawn:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Oh well, I suppose it's easier to dismiss something than accept that it might be enjoyable for folks with different tastes.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Oh well, I suppose it's easier to dismiss something than accept that it might be enjoyable for folks with different tastes.
    So true!! For the record..I liked your response and had some flashbacks to high-school basketball camp conditioning training. I'd forgotten how extreme some of that was..but I sure was in good shape in those days!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    If Crossfit really wanted to make their workouts "for everyone" they would not set the bar so high in their "workout of the day" that most people would have to drastically scale it down to accomplish it.

Also, why make things so complicated with so many different lifts, kinds of pullups, etc?

You can have a lot of variety in a workout program and still keep it safe and not so complicated that you need to hire an expert to help you translate "Crosssfit language" into English and figure out how to scale it down to something you can do without ending up in the emergency room

I'm going to go ahead and take this one being a US service member which is where cross fit was born. The reason they have so many different forms of the staple workouts is to work all of the different muscle groups. Changing the placement of my hands can completely change the muscles used to do the lift. If you find this too troublesome or difficult to understand then you are the one who gets everyone killed in a bad situation. You may never have to jump on a box, but I have to jump into a truck with 100lbs on my back, you may view this as unnecessary risk, I view this as practicing my survival. This training method is designed around using the muscles that are needed in emergency situations. So if you want to spread your hate of this program because you are too weak to build true usable strength that's fine, but please dint misinform people who are new to fitness who this can help.

Amen! And thank you for your service!

So now you're Miss Reasonable lol?

I've looked into Crossfit in the past...and thought it was interesting, but not interesting enough to pay that kind of monthly fee for. But now...I mean, seriously! If it ruffles Busy Linda's undergarments to this level, there's GOT to be something I'll enjoy about it =D.
  • lrreeder
    lrreeder Posts: 7
    Options
    I've been Crossfitting for about 2 years. I've been my leanest doing Crossfit, and I'm now working off a bit of my "post-wedding weight" with my training. I've gotten incredibly strong (can deadlift 265 lbs, power clean my body weight at 135 pounds, etc.) but can also do pullups, hand stand walks, and other awesome exercises. There is a reason why the Crossfit Games are "The Fittest Games on Earth". Crossfit is about training elite athletes - BUT it can be scaled for the rest of us. The amazing thing about Crossfit is that you can always do better. Even the most elite athlete can always go faster, or lift more weight, or do one more rep. It is hard to plateau in Crossfit because you can always push for more.

Can you get injured? Sure. Just like you can get injured on your morning jog. Is that a reason not to do it? No. Know your body, know your limits. Find a good box with experienced coaches (Level 1 Certification now requires that you pass a test, btw), and the rest will take care of itself. Is Crossfit for everyone? I'd say yes. We can all benefit from being pushed outside our comfort zones now and then. But if your idea of working out is reading US Weekly on a recumbent bike, you're in for a rude awakening at your first Crossfit class...
  • marieautumn
    Options
    ^^ love this response
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Kinda like preaching about something you have never done..now please...let your endorphins calm down and stop hijacking a subject you personally know nothing about...just take a week or two to refrain from any more comments.....no no....its not me its you....go on.....
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Most of us don't need to be elite athletes, and most of us are not in the military or emergency responders.

And as a result, most of us don't need a fitness program as extreme or expensive at Crossfit
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Most of us don't need to be elite athletes, and most of us are not in the military or emergency responders.

And as a result, most of us don't need a fitness program as extreme or expensive at Crossfit

^^^^^^ and apparently most of us cant read, and have to throw their 2 cents in even though no one in this entire thread wants it! seriously get a clue! we dont care about your opinion.....we know what it is and we do not care...none of the rest of anything you type is going to mean anything to anyone but you....thats all! just you! start your own thread and argue with yourself!
  • lrreeder
    lrreeder Posts: 7
    Options

While most of us aren't going to be elite athletes, training like one isn't a bad idea. One of the things that Crossfit has taught me is that if you train for ability the aesthetics will come. In other words, when you look at all of the best athletes out there, most of them have amazing bodies. But their job isn't to have a good body, its to be a good athlete. The "looking good" part is just a great consequence. So, when I'm training, I'm thinking "I want to shave down my mile time" or "I can't wait to be able to get one more pull-up" rather than "I wish I could fit into a size x,y,z". Not only has this done WONDERS for my self esteem and body issues, but I've found that I can celebrate the small accomplishments in my ability, and, lo and behold, my clothes fit better too.

In my opinion, people who make sweeping generalizations about something they've never done are usually the kind who are better at making excuses than working toward results. Health_Gal, I truly hope you have found a workout regime that is right for you. One that pushes you out of your comfort zone, helps you become both physically and mentally strong, and builds confidence, lean muscle, and endurance. For many of us, Crossfit is this.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, people who make sweeping generalizations about something they've never done are usually the kind who are better at making excuses than working toward results.

Plus:
    It doesn't MATTER, doing something halfway, or with only 'moderate' effort, is for people who want mediocre results, or are only using the fact that they're 'doing' anything as a cover for their own lack of drive.

Equal somewhat different ways of saying the same thing. Sitting on a forum and trying to shoot something down that many people not only enjoy, but have used to reshape their bodies, and their lives...is just sad, and says a lot about the person making the accusations and perpetuating the argument (single handedly I might add).

Unfortunately it'll likely get the thread shot down and locked...because our lone ranger here is going to get her feelings hurt and report the thread...just so all the good information that she disagrees with goes away.

/sigh.
  • marieautumn
    Options

lame. you meant to say you COULDN'T be an elite athlete or military or emergency responder or anything else that requires you to get off your backside and support your own weight. take care :laugh: