CrossFit

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 715 Member
    If Crossfit really wanted to make their workouts "for everyone" they would not set the bar so high in their "workout of the day" that most people would have to drastically scale it down to accomplish it.

Also, why make things so complicated with so many different lifts, kinds of pullups, etc?

You can have a lot of variety in a workout program and still keep it safe and not so complicated that you need to hire an expert to help you translate "Crosssfit language" into English and figure out how to scale it down to something you can do without ending up in the emergency room
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    The NYT does like its fitness fear mongering: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?pagewanted=all

As far as Crossfit goes, several of my friends do it regularly. None of them have died, ended up in the emergency room, or even injured themselves as a result. They seem to enjoy it and can afford the membership, so why not?
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    If Crossfit really wanted to make their workouts "for everyone" they would not set the bar so high in their "workout of the day" that most people would have to drastically scale it down to accomplish it.

Also, why make things so complicated with so many different lifts, kinds of pullups, etc?

You can have a lot of variety in a workout program and still keep it safe and not so complicated that you need to hire an expert to help you translate "Crosssfit language" into English and figure out how to scale it down to something you can do without ending up in the emergency room

obviously you choose not to read what I wrote...because unless you are really out of shape a basic Level 1 workout isn't going to have to be "scaled down" for anyone - because it is personalized....i.e. doing a push press - one person may do it with an empty bar...another may slap 50 more lbs on it...and if you are out fo shape - Crossfit isn't the place where you should be - but you don't have to be all physically perfect to do it...hell I have done workouts with women who are 8 months pregnant...and my body has more jiggle when I wiggle then I would like.

as for the language - it's a learning experience just like any other exercise...how many people get on a stupid treadmill and know how to work the sucker...how many people go to a Zumba class and get the moves down pat the very first time they shake their booty (or something like that I guess I have never been to a Zumba class). Hell i have workout videos that take you through each exercise step by step before you begin - because it is a learning experience...

I agree with you that it isn't for everyone - and if you find yourself at a place with a bunch of extremeists then that may not be the place for you...likewise I dont' think it can be something you can just start on your own - you do need a coach or a trainer of some sort in order to ensure you have proper form. It can be expensive...most of us who do Crossfit have made that clear - but I know for myself my health is important to me so I choose to spend my extra money on things to better myself rather than useless junk. But to make wide generalizations, especially about a form of exercise YOU HAVE NEVER DONE...is detrimental....because widespread generalizations can be applied to just about ANY form of exercise...not just Crossfit...

The thing is people come on here asking for advice on crossfit...and there are people who HAVE DONE Crosssfit who respond with negative comments and explain why they didn't like it based on their personal experience...I have no beef with that because they have VALID comments and arguements - it's people who come on and throw up some article and tell people they are goign to wind up hurt and in the ER - when that is the furthest from the truth....
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    @twinmom....well said!

@Health_Gal....since most people will willingly agree that its true Crossfit is NOT for everyone, why can't you accept that its not BAD for everyone either? Like almc170, I also know plenty of people who do this regularly and have never been injured or felt pressured to do anything they weren't comfortable with. I'm sure there are some classes where more risks are taken, but there are plenty being run by legitimate and safe fitness facilities.

Since (if I understand correctly), you haven't done Crossfit, I don't understand why you're so adamant about talking everyone else out of it...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Maybe they teach a more moderate version of Crossfit at your gym. But in general, the Crossfit organization is all about pushing people to do things to the extreme. If you had seen some of the "results" of Crossfit workouts -- unnecessary injuries that keep people out of action for weeks, if not months, some requiring extensive surgery to repair, you would feel the same way about Crossfit that I do.

Lady, I don't even DO crossfit and your trolling is obvious. We have a name for people that act like you do around here, and that's 'Busy Linda's'. Don't ask me where it came from or why. But 'Busy Linda's' grab a topic, any topic, and latch onto it with religious fervor...mostly because they have nothing to fill up the rest of their lives. They write letters, troll the internet...it's really very, very sad.

For myself, I do EVERYTHING I do to the extreme of my ability. From raising my children, to riding my motorcycle, to working out in the gym, to building fast cars, to doing my job. It doesn't MATTER, doing something halfway, or with only 'moderate' effort, is for people who want mediocre results, or are only using the fact that they're 'doing' anything as a cover for their own lack of drive.

And as for injuring yourself...I ripped my lower biceps tendon off the bone picking up my motorcycle. My best friend ripped his achilles tendon walking up a flight of stairs barefoot on a cold morning. 'Safety' is an illusion, and if I'm going to be hurt, I'd much rather it be doing something I love and enjoy, whether you comprehend it or not.

And if you're really, really that bored...why don't you go find a bungee jumping or parachuting forum to troll. There's TRULY no personal benefit (other than the thrill...and I say more power to them!) in those things, and they're taking their LIVES into their hands every time they go out.

Some people just amaze me.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    And as for injuring yourself...I ripped my lower biceps tendon off the bone picking up my motorcycle. My best friend ripped his achilles tendon walking up a flight of stairs barefoot on a cold morning. 'Safety' is an illusion, and if I'm going to be hurt, I'd much rather it be doing something I love and enjoy, whether you comprehend it or not.
    Well said Cris!

I threw out my back one time while picking up a gallon of milk the wrong way...so I think I'll go search for some threads about milk and warn everyone how dangerous it is

:laugh:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Well said Cris!

I threw out my back one time while picking up a gallon of milk the wrong way...so I think I'll go search for some threads about milk and warn everyone how dangerous it is

:laugh:

Hah! I sprained my ankle getting out of bed once (long story). Guess that means I shouldn't even bother :tongue:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 928 Member
    I would never even consider joining Crossfit.

Sure, they start you out with "the basics" and make it partly do-able, but I have seen enough of the crazy stunts they expect Crossfit participants to eventually do, and I have no intention of risking injury attempting to jump on and off 20 inch boxes, climbing roaps, or doing handstand pushups, or a bunch of that other stuff the torture experts at Crossfit call a workout.

I guess that sort of workout might be ok for a certain type of person, but that person isn't me!
    probably because that stuff is way more fun than running on a boring treadmill at the gym. and it keeps you in great shape. i love crossfit.
  • marieautumn

you totally have no idea about what you speak of. WOW. :yawn:
  • My son did it for a couple years and lost 70lbs...I say go for it. give it a try!
    "obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals"
    go get it!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Maybe they teach a more moderate version of Crossfit at your gym. But in general, the Crossfit organization is all about pushing people to do things to the extreme. If you had seen some of the "results" of Crossfit workouts -- unnecessary injuries that keep people out of action for weeks, if not months, some requiring extensive surgery to repair, you would feel the same way about Crossfit that I do.

If Crossfit was just about having a lot of variety in an exercise program without the extreme, "do it or die" attitude, that would be great. But unfortunately, Crossfit is what it is.

And in time, people will get tired of paying their over priced membership fees and being so tired and sore they can barely stand up after a workout, and Crossfit will die out, just like all the other exercise fads that have come and gone.

Did you play sports in high school? College?

I did, and everything we did was extreme, do it or die. I'm still convinced my rugby coach was Satan himself, and don't even get me started on my Judo sensei. Excrutiating pain and discomfort was just their way of saying 'hi' to me. You know what? I LOVED it. I still miss those days, I was in the best shape of my life (I'm sure it's totally unrelated to workouts since they were dangerous).

And don't try to say that's just for men either. I've seen the workouts for gymnast chicks, cheerleaders, women's soccer. Some of those girls put me to shame.

It's clear that CrossFit isn't for you, but people can get injured doing anything. Voicing concern over the potential for danger in an activity is a good thing to do, but it really should end there. I don't expect you to workout the way I do (for the record I don't do crossfit, but I do a fair amount that you would consider extreme, which is why I wanted to say something) but I do think you should understand why some people workout at that kind of intensity level, and it's not because they're lunatics or something.

My $0.02
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 642 Member
    Classic example of booksmart vs streetsmart

If you have to consistently post references to some article becasue youve never done it or tried it...you are booksmart..smart being the loose part of the terminology

Meanwhile, the rest of us dont hide behind articles...we form our own decisions and conclusions based on putting in the work...you know..actually doing the exercise to see if we enjoy it

So please keep posting the same worn out articles to make YOURSELF feel better ....thats really all youre doing...making YOU feel better...to me youre just book...but not smart

Oh...and post videos too...and smile when ya do sir....youre just book also
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165

I'm going to go ahead and take this one being a US service member which is where cross fit was born. The reason they have so many different forms of the staple workouts is to work all of the different muscle groups. Changing the placement of my hands can completely change the muscles used to do the lift. If you find this too troublesome or difficult to understand then you are the one who gets everyone killed in a bad situation. You may never have to jump on a box, but I have to jump into a truck with 100lbs on my back, you may view this as unnecessary risk, I view this as practicing my survival. This training method is designed around using the muscles that are needed in emergency situations. So if you want to spread your hate of this program because you are too weak to build true usable strength that's fine, but please dint misinform people who are new to fitness who this can help.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    I would love to try this!!
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    I am going to my first Cross Fit class this Thursday. The first session is free, just to get a feel for it and if you like it. I may puke, I may pass out but I'm going to bring it! :)

Plus whatever I learn there, I can just take those exercises and use them at the gym instead of paying those rediculous prices.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    I'm an introvert, so working out as part of a team and cheering people on is not my idea of a good time. I can see why some people would really like this though.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Isnt the one Trolling here the same person who spent an enire thread talking about how she would never do Burpee's becasue they look silly?

I think crossfit would be awwesome, but I had elbow surgery and have a prothetic piece in my forarm which limits how much I can lift, push, etc. I cant do pull ups, push ups, dips, etc. I have been doing work outs lately lead by on of our master fitness trainers that incorporate some cross fit stuff, some stuff I have seen in PX90 videos, kettlebell elements, bousu balls, and the big ropes. I love it all and I am glad to be exposed to all this stuff.
    I would not knock anything unless I tried it.
  • chellk71
    chellk71 Posts: 69
    never done it myself but I have a friend that does it and just became a coach.
  • marieautumn

I'm going to go ahead and take this one being a US service member which is where cross fit was born. The reason they have so many different forms of the staple workouts is to work all of the different muscle groups. Changing the placement of my hands can completely change the muscles used to do the lift. If you find this too troublesome or difficult to understand then you are the one who gets everyone killed in a bad situation. You may never have to jump on a box, but I have to jump into a truck with 100lbs on my back, you may view this as unnecessary risk, I view this as practicing my survival. This training method is designed around using the muscles that are needed in emergency situations. So if you want to spread your hate of this program because you are too weak to build true usable strength that's fine, but please dint misinform people who are new to fitness who this can help.

THANK YOU!!!
    the best WODs are the heroes and the ladies!
  • marieautumn
    I am going to my first Cross Fit class this Thursday. The first session is free, just to get a feel for it and if you like it. I may puke, I may pass out but I'm going to bring it! :)

Plus whatever I learn there, I can just take those exercises and use them at the gym instead of paying those rediculous prices.

great idea, EXCEPT you will never learn all the movements in one class. You will barely scratch the surface in your first class and will probably be learning how to do movements safely with PVC pipe.