Deleted MFP Friend who ate to little...wrong?

Options
13»

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I am a strong believer that if you are on a journey you want supporters who have similar goals as yours... I am guilty of doing this, I am here for support and to support but if we are not sorta kinda almost on the same page as to what is healthy and what isn't (of course those are personal opinions) we really cannot support each other at the highest of capacity.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    personally I wouldn't delete a friend unless they were abusive in some way ...

I try and encourage my friends in anyway I can ..... most of my friends eat more than I do ... I regularly net under 1000 cals ... this is not because I want to "starve" myself ..... but simply because I couldn't eat any more ... I am full and wont force feed myself for anyone .... however if someone wanted to delete me as a friend because I wasn't eating at much as they think I should then I would wish them luck on their journey.

I think some ppl eat too much, but I certainly wouldn't un-friend them, they are doing what works for them, and at the end of the day if they are getting results that they like then they are doing it right ............

I have people on my friends that I think don't eat enough *cough*, but whenever I mention it, they always reply, and usually take advice on board so I know they are trying their best.

I think the issue with the OP wasn't just the eating too little, it was also the lack of response to any comments. I wouldn't delete anyone for not eating enough, but I certainly would for the lack of interaction.
  • mizzfitnesss
    mizzfitnesss Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Nope nothing wrong with that at all...you had nothing to offer her in the way of friends.
    What are you supposed to say to her "great job starving yourself today" or "way to go depriving your body"

Agree! I'm not going to try to offer support to self-destructive people... whether they grossly over-eat or under-eat, especially if they ignore me. There are lots of people on this forum that will be happy to pat them on the back for starving themselves, but it won't be me. This site is about healthy living First, support comes after.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I couldn't be friends with somebody with an ED.

It's nothing personal because I know these men and women have their own demons, but it just breaks my heart and I know there's nothing I can do about it.

Odds are most of your friends on here have an eating disorder, whether or not it's diagnosed. I have a diagnosed eating disorder and I'm very open about it, but I am also working with this site to keep me on healthy paths and not just "winging it". I'm only commenting because your blanket statement assumes 1. That you know no one you're friends with on here has an ED and 2. That all ED patients eat way too little. What if someone honestly tracked their binges and whether or not they purged, but their calories were within reason?

I guess my point is, if you couldn't be friends with someone that had an eating disorder, then it's time to delete probably about 1/2-3/4 of your friends because that's how many of us got here, an unhealthy emotional or psychological attachment to food.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Be an example. Do the right things, get results and she will see it. All you can do is extend the olive branch. And stop looking at her diary if it bothers you.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

It's nothing personal because I know these men and women have their own demons, but it just breaks my heart and I know there's nothing I can do about it.

Odds are most of your friends on here have an eating disorder, whether or not it's diagnosed. I have a diagnosed eating disorder and I'm very open about it, but I am also working with this site to keep me on healthy paths and not just "winging it". I'm only commenting because your blanket statement assumes 1. That you know no one you're friends with on here has an ED and 2. That all ED patients eat way too little. What if someone honestly tracked their binges and whether or not they purged, but their calories were within reason?

I guess my point is, if you couldn't be friends with someone that had an eating disorder, then it's time to delete probably about 1/2-3/4 of your friends because that's how many of us got here, an unhealthy emotional or psychological attachment to food.

I don't agree with the numbers here. But, you have absolutely no obligation to anyone on the internet (unless you have specifically said you do), so add or delete friends as you wish and don't worry about it. This is why I don't add friends, someone always has to carry it a little too far and try to make someone feel like they are WRONG. Wrong about what, I don't know... just wrong. It makes them feel better.. maybe that they are smarter than everyone else.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options

HA
    ahahahahahahaha
    Talk about blanket statements. You just assume I ONLY mean people with ED's eat too little. Sorry, sister. I know that people can over eat, as well. ;)

All 10 of my friends on MFP do NOT talk/act like they have an ED. Perhaps they all do, because your numbers suggest they may, but they do not act like it. Nor do they try to put it in my face.

But thank you for your wonderfully insightful post.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    her weight loss was making me feel discouraged and since this is my personal journey i did not think it was benefitting me. we are all on such different diet plans...exercise differently....and none of us are right or wrong but i am the only one responsible for my well being. i am very happy for everyone to lose weight...but her daily weigh in conflicted with my once a month weigh in...it was a temptation that i didnt need. besides if someone "unfriended" me im not even sure i would notice...i mean do you
    check your friends list everyday?

No, I don't...
    And although I told myself not to reply to this thread again......OMFNG...I COULDN'T RESIST!!
    One question....

What in the hell does HER constant weigh-ins have to do with YOU?

she has every friggin right to step on that scale as often as she pleases...it's HER body...HER scale...and HER business.

If her WEIGHTLOSS bothers you that much....YOU have a serious problem.

Hmmmmm..I think I will go and weigh myself..she inspired me to weigh early this week.

I honestly think that you are the one with the serious problem. You are extremely belittling and disrespectful. She was not being mean, she was trying to be supportive. This has nothing to do with the scale, it has to do with being healthy. 500 calories is not enough to support your body, even for the smallest of people. This is exactly how
    anorexia starts. So yea, it was HER business what she does with her body, but it is other's business to help her realize that she has a problem. We are all on here to give and recieve advice not belittle.

Belittling and Disrespectful??? Really... that's what you got from my response??

WELL WHOOPTY-DAMN-DOO!!! :smokin:
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    personally I wouldn't delete a friend unless they were abusive in some way ...

I try and encourage my friends in anyway I can ..... most of my friends eat more than I do ... I regularly net under 1000 cals ... this is not because I want to "starve" myself ..... but simply because I couldn't eat any more ... I am full and wont force feed myself for anyone .... however if someone wanted to delete me as a friend because I wasn't eating at much as they think I should then I would wish them luck on their journey.

I think some ppl eat too much, but I certainly wouldn't un-friend them, they are doing what works for them, and at the end of the day if they are getting results that they like then they are doing it right ............

I have people on my friends that I think don't eat enough *cough*, but whenever I mention it, they always reply, and usually take advice on board so I know they are trying their best.

I think the issue with the OP wasn't just the eating too little, it was also the lack of response to any comments. I wouldn't delete anyone for not eating enough, but I certainly would for the lack of interaction.

hehe x ....

yeah being ignored would annoy me also :( ..... but then again it can be difficult to find all comments as there is no alerts to let you know someone responded :( ... so maybe they just weren't seeing the comments .... Im sure I miss loads :-/
  • Pashen4fit
    Options
    ~ I totaly agree with you "I would never delete anyone because they are not eating the way I want them to eat" , it would be better if maybe you can share some idea's with them etc.....
    Yes. It's like telling a friend to get lost because she ate a candy bar. We're all in this together. Weightloss and fitness doesn't HAVE to be "This Way or the Highway!!".

Different things work for different people....but SUPPORT is good for EVERYONE.

I wouldn't delete someone for eating too little......I would however, delete someone for belittling another member or openly minimalizing someone's efforts.

That probably hurt your friend's feelings.....imagine how they might feel.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have deleted mfp friends due to (including way under eating) in the past. I'm here to live my journey and have people along side me for support and give support. You can have on here who ever you want. If you don't want them as a mfp friend, then so be it.
  • sarahgilmore1
    Options
    I have in the past deleted low netters. Not so much because they net low, but because they net low and then ***** and moan about not losing weight. And you tell them how they could make changes to do it healthier, they even go yeah you're so right I really do need to eat more... Then a few weeks later you see they've dropped their goal even MORE. They obviously don't want my sort of support, so there's no point keeping them.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have in the past deleted low netters. Not so much because they net low, but because they net low and then ***** and moan about not losing weight. And you tell them how they could make changes to do it healthier, they even go yeah you're so right I really do need to eat more... Then a few weeks later you see they've dropped their goal even MORE. They obviously don't want my sort of support, so there's no point keeping them.

mhm
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think you were right to delete them if what they were doing bothered you that much. They are under no obligation to change based on what you suggest, and likewise you are under no obligation to keep trying when obviously they don't want to take the same path you are on.

If it were a dear old friend in real life, it would be different. But, since you say this person is a stranger outside MFP, then clearly you have different goals and/or methods to achieve those goals. Like any relationship, when it's not working sometimes you just gotta move on.