Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Personal Trainers at chain gyms are used car salesmen
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I also do the lifetime bucks thing and get 2 training sessions every 6 months out of the deal. I had a great trainer that left and then an AWFUL one. It's kind of funny so I'll share the story:

It was 1 year after I joined the gym so I asked to get that assessment test redone so I could see my progress. They booked me with a new guy that spent the first 10 minutes trying to sell me a HRM. I explained that I totally understand how great they are but I'm not in the market for one right now. Then he moved on to the vO2 max testing and more training sessions. I literally looked him in the eyes and said, "Listen, I'm not going to buy anything today, so stop trying. I just want you to run me through the assessment test please." :grumble:

Then he got huffy with me and ran me through the tests as if it was just a HUGE chore and I was wasting his time. When we sat back down for the results he grabbed that g0ddamned HRM clipboard again! So I just took my sheet, said I had somewhere to be, and walked away. I then proceeded to workout in front of the PT desk for about 40 minutes and I didn't talk to him again.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him at the gym lately... shucks he must have left :laugh:

Thats great!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    In addition to revenue, trainers at these clubs also help keep costs down. Trainers also serve as "floor staff"--they are either paid a minimal wage for that, or they work strictly on commission. Either way, the only way they can make any money is to hustle for clients.

This statement here is so true.. My trainer at X-Sport has said it many times that he only gets paid when he trains.. and if he's not training, then he's not getting paid. He's said many times that when he needs the money, pushes the PT.. and if he's doing Ok client wise, then he doesn't.. which I think is less sleazy then ones who push it 24/7.

I see the girls just hanging around the desk like little pieces of fluff, waiting for people to ask them for help/show them a machine/exercise that they don't know how to do. Then once they are done they resume the standing around status or trying to sell HRM's, PT packages, etc.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    In addition to revenue, trainers at these clubs also help keep costs down. Trainers also serve as "floor staff"--they are either paid a minimal wage for that, or they work strictly on commission. Either way, the only way they can make any money is to hustle for clients.

This statement here is so true.. My trainer at X-Sport has said it many times that he only gets paid when he trains.. and if he's not training, then he's not getting paid. He's said many times that when he needs the money, pushes the PT.. and if he's doing Ok client wise, then he doesn't.. which I think is less sleazy then ones who push it 24/7.

I see the girls just hanging around the desk like little pieces of fluff, waiting for people to ask them for help/show them a machine/exercise that they don't know how to do. Then once they are done they resume the standing around status or trying to sell HRM's, PT packages, etc.

Mine just act like total tools and hang out with each other at machines and sit there talking when ppl like me want to use them, you clearly see I want to use it and just continue to sit at the machine and jab. Or they sit at their little desks and you never see them. There has been a time or two i'd like to ask a simple question and they are no where to be found. But when they are with their clients and trying to show them the exercises sometimes they are not in form. There is ONE guy there I actually find very helpful and if I were to get a PT there I'd ask for that one person.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Mine just act like total tools and hang out with each other at machines and sit there talking when ppl like me want to use them, you clearly see I want to use it and just continue to sit at the machine and jab. Or they sit at their little desks and you never see them. There has been a time or two i'd like to ask a simple question and they are no where to be found. But when they are with their clients and trying to show them the exercises sometimes they are not in form. There is ONE guy there I actually find very helpful and if I were to get a PT there I'd ask for that one person.

The ones at export are always in the uniform of the red shirt and whatever bottoms they feel like.. and if they are on their own time, then they change..but I've literally had PT's see me struggling with a machine/exercise/whatever and come up and ask if I need help.. which is nice.

As far as the ones sitting on the machines, tell them to move.. unless they are using the machine for a client, they can talk else where.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    I probably will if I see it again, I just was not in the mood yesterday lol