Real Women Have Curves

Options
I'd just like to ask everyone what their opinion on this statement is. Frankly, it's a phrase that has always really bothered me and I do not agree with it at all. What does it even mean? Real women have curves... what about women who DON'T have curves? What about women who are born with a petite frame, who will never weigh more than 110 lbs in their life, and are straight as a stick? Are they not considered "real women"? It's not like we can choose our body types, and I think it's unfair to exclude some females from being "real women" just because of their bodies. It's also used way too often as an excuse to be unhealthy. I am all about women having curves and loving their bodies no matter what - and being someone who has struggled with my weight for my whole life, I know the pressures society puts on you to be "perfect". But I don't think this phrase should automatically make it okay to eat unhealthy and continue to gain weight and raise your risk of heart attack & disease in the future.

Essentially, overweight women know how much it hurts to be judged for being heavier - so let's not judge thin or petite women for being the way they are!

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Well being that I'm not real, I probably shouldn't even be commenting lol.
    I don't know what it means, other than a way to put women like me down. I can't help genetics. I wish I had a big bootie and C cups, but I wasn't made that way.
  • allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    Well being that I'm not real, I probably shouldn't even be commenting lol.
    I don't know what it means, other than a way to put women like me down. I can't help genetics. I wish I had a big bootie and C cups, but I wasn't made that way.

Exactly! And you are lovely, and most definitely a woman so ignore the ignorance! :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Real women have lady parts,after that each one is different and thank God for both.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    In my mind, real women know who they are, and it has absolutely nothing to do with curves or the lack thereof.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Everything in our society tells us that women are supposed to be thin, and that's the only way for the world to find us beautiful. So, if we curvier broads can have a little catch phrase that can make us feel better about not being viewed as having the perfect bodies, then so be it! In my humble opinion, it's certainly not intended to make naturally slim, un-curvey women feel less than.
  • ashleywright144
    Options
    Thank you for calling attention to this ignorance. As women we should all find that place within ourselves and be truly happy. I am trying to find my own, it's a work in progress. Because of women like you it creates a more loving, respectful, and accepting place in this world. Thank you for your thoughts
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I am def one of those woman who will never be considered curvy...I'm 113, 5'2" and I will never have a big butt or boobs. I'd like to think of myself as a real woman!! lol
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Women have vaginas.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Real women have determination, strength, kindness, willpower, and grace. Whether they have a small waist or big booty/boobs has nothing to do with their womanness.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I have curves, but I didn't ask for them any more than someone doesn't asked for their body type. I could lose weight to the point of unhealthyness (is that even a word??) and I would still have curves because of my bone structure. It's as silly as saying real women have blond hair and blue eyes.
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    Most women have a natural curve on the body, despite being tiny. All body types are beautiful! I agree that it is often used as an excuse.

We just need to work on loving ourselves. :flowerforyou:
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha ha, I imagined the women without curves as plastic toys. That is just not rite at all! Funny but not rite! People will stop feeling insecure when they realize there is someone for everyone. We are human with different tastes, shapes and sizes. What makes us beautiful isn't the shape or the size, but our level of health, self love and confidence too. 
    I think this statement comes from a person who feels they aren't good enough so they need to bring others down to the level they think they are in. It's because of the damn TV and magazines air brushing everything. What you don't know is even the women with "no curves" don't fit that bill lol
    So calm down and learn to love your self, you will find others who love you too and if they don't then who give a *kitten*? Their opinion is only one in so many...
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of God, Allah, Buddha or whoever, please just accept yourself for who you are and stop worrying or caring about what other people think. Curves, no curves, big ears, small butt, armpit hair or clean shaven...the list goes on.
  • KelseyPalmtree
    Options
    I agree that this statement can be hurtful to thinner women, as it seems like people are accusing them of not being real because they are slim, rather than curvy.

But, I agree that because society is so fixated on "skinny" being the ideal, I also recognize the need for curvier women to have a saying or catch phrase that can help them feel better about their bodies. But, perhaps the phrase should be reworded to not make it seem as if women without curves are not real women.

Neither group (slim or curvy) should be discriminated against, by anyone. Combatting discrimination with discrimination is just exacerbating the problem.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It all needs to be about loving the skin you are in! Curvy or not, overweight, obese or underweight! My grandmother weighed in at a whopping 108 pounds at her heaviest. She never liked eating. She's now 78 pounds and losing (age, alzheimer's, etc.), but it doesn't make her any less the woman she is! I like the phrase, but I forget about people like my grandmother in that statement. She had curves, but really tiny ones!
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Oh.. I see it's time to have this argument again.

*yawn*

Let me know when it's over.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see that I think of Kate Moss or some other ridiculously skinny (read: eats cigarettes and ice all day) person who the media throws in our faces as 'beautiful'.

To me, she is not beautiful, she's a skeleton with skin.

So when I think 'Real women have curves' I take it as "not near death".
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Oh.. I see it's time to have this argument again.

*yawn*

Let me know when it's over.

LOL.
    Why even waste your time posting in here???
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Real women love themselves enough to take care of their bodies, whatever shape or size they may be.

The rest of this is smoke-filled coffeehouse crap, to steal a line from one of my favorite movies.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Everything in our society tells us that women are supposed to be thin, and that's the only way for the world to find us beautiful. So, if we curvier broads can have a little catch phrase that can make us feel better about not being viewed as having the perfect bodies, then so be it! In my humble opinion, it's certainly not intended to make naturally slim, un-curvey women feel less than.

I agree. I don't think the original intent of the "real women have curves" was meant as a put down of other sized/shaped women. I think it was meant more as a declaration or affirmation of as the poster above says, "we curvier broads have a little (feel good) catch phrase . .. " but never to disparage or be at the expense of other women. If its original intent has been misappropriated, then that is not right.