Crazy gas prices

Options

Replies

• tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    It cost me the equivalent of $2.25 a litre here in London yesterday - and that was after trying four different petrol stations because of the panic buying.
  • 5581DANIEL
    Options
    If only us poor guys in the UK could get away with prices that cheap!!!! I have worked out the conversions to US prices and I've just filled my car at 10.6 Dollars to the gallon!
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    Options
    Gas price herein Cape Breton is 144.9 per litre.....where does it end.....Canadian government is trying to wipe us off the map I think
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The gas prices in the US are a lot cheaper than a lot of other places, over here in the UK it's double what it is in the US. Prices are going up everywhere but it's a lot cheaper in the states, imagine if it went in line with a lot of other places.

In the US you pay a lot less tax on it than elsewhere.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    And I have to fill up today! I have a Nissan Versa which is pretty good on gas..But still prices are crazy high and its not even summer....I guess I will be staying home more..Thank god my apartment has a pool....and a gym......and my job is right in front of where I live...oh yeah gas saving time....
  • DoodleDaft
    Options
    I'm in Scotland and it costs a whopping $10.37 per gallon!!! and it's set to rise!!

I'm in Scotland too and feel your pain, add to that the current panic buying and unscrupulous garages putting up the prices to profiteer from the panic. I'm not buying until my fuel light comes on, a decision I'll hopefully not live to regret! :-))
  • smiller9
    smiller9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is around 3.70 here a gallon.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Its $4.09 in Eastern CT. It cost me almost $100.00 to fill up my Durango. There goes my extra money for the week! )':
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Our gas in MI jumped from 3.65 to 4.15 in one day, now its back down, (lol) to 3.89, but we can't walk anywhere here. The stores are on busy dangerous roads and my husband drives 72 miles one way to work. These prices are just killing us. Sometimes I really wish that I lived in a small community that you can walk to stores :(
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    I thought we were well off at $1.60 per litre (regular) down here. Then I done the maths and works out about $6.04 to the gallon. Just goes to show, ignorance is bliss :huh:
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The gas prices in the US are a lot cheaper than a lot of other places, over here in the UK it's double what it is in the US. Prices are going up everywhere but it's a lot cheaper in the states, imagine if it went in line with a lot of other places.

In the US you pay a lot less tax on it than elsewhere.

I think our issue here is that many of us work really far from home. I drive on average 20+miles a day and that's usually just taking my kids to school. We live in a different school district than they attend. My husband drives around 145 miles a day to work and goes through a tank of gas every other day. So around $50 every two days for him and about $90 a week for me. Its over half our paycheck every week just to buy gas.
  • noteve
    noteve Posts: 57
    Options
    It's really bad here in Iceland.
    $2.1 per litre - that is $7.95 per gallon.

At least it's slimming - you'll pretty soon start walking/cycling everywhere.
  • daz60
    daz60 Posts: 22
    Options
    Here in the uk the prices equates to $2.24 per litre at the moment. dont be moaning yet!
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    in the uk our petrol stations are on strike so you'll be lucky to get any fuel at all!! my friend is stranded with a baby because people are just stocking up and she can't get any fuel to drive anywhere
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm in Scotland and it costs a whopping $10.37 per gallon!!! and it's set to rise!!

I'm in Scotland too and feel your pain, add to that the current panic buying and unscrupulous garages putting up the prices to profiteer from the panic. I'm not buying until my fuel light comes on, a decision I'll hopefully not live to regret! :-))

I was one of those panic buyers i'm afraid!! My car is a gas guzzler and didn't want to be stuck without any petrol.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I want to know why these prices are going up exactly. Why is nothing being done about it?

It's a globally traded commodity, it's not something that can changed by one person or one country. It's dictating by the world energy prices and the stock markets :(

Good things take time. And it is time for us to start tapping into our resources.

Makes no difference if we drill every ounce of American oil out of the ground. Oil prices are controlled by the global markets, not by simple supply or demand. There's plenty of oil in the market anyway. The prices are going up due to oil spectulation and futures trading.

Read this for a decent explaination as to why: http://money.howstuffworks.com/oil-speculation-raise-gas-price.htm

P.S. Oil is a finite resource and one of these days we are going to run out even if we drill it all. This is why we need to get on the ball about alternative energy sources. It takes decades to properly develop and implement alternative energy. Do we really want to run out of oil and THEN work on the problem? Talk about a crisis! When supply really does start getting low, we're going to see a massive crisis like the world has never known.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I don't have a car right now. I can walk most anywhere I need to go (including work), and if I can't walk there, it costs $1.50 for a day bus pass.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I'm so glad I don't have a car right now. I can walk most anywhere I need to go (including work), and if I can't walk there, it costs $1.50 for a day bus pass.

I miss that. I used to live in Pittsburgh, and I didn't need a car. Just relied on the bus network and my own two feet. It was so nice!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

I miss that. I used to live in Pittsburgh, and I didn't need a car. Just relied on the bus network and my own two feet. It was so nice!

Not having the freedom to go out of town whenever sucks, but yeah, it's super nice to not have to worry about everything that goes with having a car. And hey, y'know, walking to the gym and back = a 5k, so when I go, I get in a 5k PLUS whatever I do there! :happy:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Not having the freedom to go out of town whenever sucks, but yeah, it's super nice to not have to worry about everything that goes with having a car. And hey, y'know, walking to the gym and back = a 5k, so when I go, I get in a 5k PLUS whatever I do there! :happy:

I never found the lack of car to be a problem when going out of town either. I could always rent one or get a cab.

Nice! :)