Crazy gas prices

Options

Replies

• DoodleDaft
    Options
    I'm in Scotland and it costs a whopping $10.37 per gallon!!! and it's set to rise!!

I'm in Scotland too and feel your pain, add to that the current panic buying and unscrupulous garages putting up the prices to profiteer from the panic. I'm not buying until my fuel light comes on, a decision I'll hopefully not live to regret! :-))

I was one of those panic buyers i'm afraid!! My car is a gas guzzler and didn't want to be stuck without any petrol.

You're probably wise! :-)). If there really is a strike we'll be grounded with no fuel, eeek! :-))
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Looking at current UK fuel prices, I'm so glad I don't have a car. I pay £19 per week for a bus ticket instead, which would otherwise pay for less than three gallons of fuel. British motorists are taxed to the hilt, and the cost of fuel has had an impact on the price of everything else now.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    $8.45/US Gallon here in England.
  • taliesyn_
    Options
    Looking at current UK fuel prices, I'm so glad I don't have a car. I pay £19 per week for a bus ticket instead, which would otherwise pay for less than three gallons of fuel. British motorists are taxed to the hilt, and the cost of fuel has had an impact on the price of everything else now.
    Public transport is expensive and poor in my part of the UK - to cover my work journey (35 min each way, £4 ($6.50) in diesel) by train costs more £10.10 ($16.60) and takes 95 min each way due to the walking and train change. Bus services are cheaper but still more expensive than the car and I would be spending 6 hours each day on the bus to/from work.
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    $3.79 here in Wisconsin USA. I guess I'm glad I don't live on the coasts with the prices you are all putting up.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I want to know why these prices are going up exactly. Why is nothing being done about it?
    I don't actually hate to be cynical, but my answer to your question is Republicans don't want anything done about it. Jimmy Carter called for less demand for foreign oil 30 some years ago.. Reagan got elected, took the solar panels off the white house and today, we're still having the same discussions and FIGHting innovations that will decrease that dependence. Drill Baby Drill is stupid if people think that will solve the problem when the US consumes 20 % (I think) of the world's oil supply but sits on 2%. Plus what we drill goes into the world market- it is not used HERE! We could bleed our supplies dry and it wouldn't be enough. So to end my rant, I believe we need to use ALL possible methods to decrease dependence on foreign oil, realize it has to be done over the long term, come to grips that the president can't really do anything meaningful alone.... and we have to think forward because after 30 years we're still behind the 8 ball. sorry. good morning all
  • taliesyn_
    Options
    You Americans are lucky that you don't have the tax burden on fuel that we do. It isn't that long ago that I remember a gallon of gas in the US was $1 or so - not in my living memory has it ever been that low in the UK, and I am 48!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I want to know why these prices are going up exactly. Why is nothing being done about it?

It's a globally traded commodity, it's not something that can changed by one person or one country. It's dictating by the world energy prices and the stock markets :(

Good things take time. And it is time for us to start tapping into our resources.
    our best resource in the long term is our ability to innovate. Moving away from oil should be a long term goal. we simply don't have enough oil for 'tapping our resources' to make much of a dent in supply.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options

And that's another thing....
    We just got through dealing with a month and a half long bus strike!
    People had to drop out of school, lose jobs, etc because they couldn't get a way around.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    LOL at least you can get it! it's running out here as everyone is panic buying :frown:
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

It's a globally traded commodity, it's not something that can changed by one person or one country. It's dictating by the world energy prices and the stock markets :(

Good things take time. And it is time for us to start tapping into our resources.
    our best resource in the long term is our ability to innovate. Moving away from oil should be a long term goal. we simply don't have enough oil for 'tapping our resources' to make much of a dent in supply.

And honestly tapping your resources helping the supply chain but it's still traded in price by the same folks who trade it in the world. Yes you minimize supply shortages but it won't affect price unless the price is being driven up by a shortage of course.
  • Anet47
    Anet47 Posts: 24
    Options
    I live in the States, where I drive a small (Saturn Vue) SUV, because I have to carry a lot of stuff for my work, and gas prices are hitting me in the wallet too. I am British, and I go over for a month every year (except this year! :-( ), where I pay an arm and a leg for petrol, so I know that we in America should be developing better infrastructure for public transport, walking, and biking. What we're stuck with, unfortunately, is decades of urban sprawl. We have always tried to live in the older parts of towns where we settle, and this summer, we're moving somewhere more urban, namely Decatur, GA, where city taxes are higher, because (in part) they have sidewalks! Looking forward to walking, biking, and *losing more weight*! The local coffee house even has a 'hook' outside for dog leads, just like I see in Scotland! We're giving up our 2000 square foot house for a microscopic 2 bed condo, and plan to get very well acquainted with IKEA My advice to my American friends is to move to city centers if you can: Global demand for fuel is continuing to rise, and it's time to think about living green. This is a much better option than ruining Alaska. Oh, yes, and my next car will be a hatchback. :-)
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    On the Isle of Wight gas and diesel prices are usually slightly higher than on the mainland. We are paying £1.39 per litre, which is about $8.35 US or Canadian dollar per gallon. Public transit on the island is expensive and the service is lousy, with some areas having no buses after 5PM. I'm glad I own a small commuter motorcycle that gets well over 100 mpg, and that the mild climate means I can ride it year round.
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. The pretext to invade Iran is currently being set, soon the US will seize the oil supplies of another country.

Hopefully this will keep SUV's running cheaply for a couple of extra years, breeding another generation of overweight kids. So at least mfp won't go out of business soon.

God bless America. :)
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    $4.08 per gallon in Indianapolis, down from $4.19 the a few days ago. My friends and family in England are paying about 140.9p per litre, or $8.53 per gallon. It's getting pretty insane.
  • TurnpikeGreen
    Options
    Apart from the fact that we are having to queue at any garage that has fuel, they are also charging us £1.45 a litre. If you take it that there are approximately 5 litres to the gallon that works out at £7.25 for a gallon. About a month ago I used to put £20 worth in each week, now it is about £50.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I don't have a car right now. I can walk most anywhere I need to go (including work), and if I can't walk there, it costs $1.50 for a day bus pass.

Same here. I have a car, but aside from trips to see my family I don't have to leave my neighborhood for ANYTHING. :)
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    $20 every other day in my Nissan Titan and I live less than 10min from work and the gym. Gotta stop going to one or the other. :grumble:
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    3.95/gallon here in PA!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    $20 every other day in my Nissan Titan and I live less than 10min from work and the gym. Gotta stop going to one or the other. :grumble:

10 min drive... you could probably bike to the gym if they have a place you can lock it up. Extra calorie burn.