For the 500,000 time EATING MORE WORKS

Options

Replies

• pecany
    pecany Posts: 10
    Options
    You mention nothing about eating back your exercise.

So no, you cannot eat as close to your BMR as possible and still exercise and lose weight. You will stall out again, except for weight lost due to muscle breakdown.

If you want the exercise to create your deficit, then you should be eating at maintenance level and let that happen. If you want diet to create the deficit, then you should feed the workout.
    Do both and both will have problems.

If that is from the fat2fit.com site, you should actually be above Moderately Active. Honestly, 6 days a week and riding bike to work and running program. Probably should be higher than Very Active for that matter.

Don't shoot yourself in the metabolism by underestimating - thinking you are helping yourself somehow. That's probably why you haven't lost anything.
    Because your exercise and diet level has slowed your metabolism so badly, you are eating at maintenance level right now.

Crap. So I need to be eating more. I should mention that I also have a thyroid issue and currently take thyroid hormones. I partially blame that for my weight gain the last year. I'll try to up my calories to 1700-1900 then and see what happens. I might cut back a bit on the cardio too as I notice I am starting to feel a bit tired.

Thanks for the help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Might be a bit dense here but what is TDEE? Is it an american measurement as I can not find reference to I in the UK

Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

If you ate at that level, you maintain weight, less lose, more gain.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/EnergyBalance.html

The metabolism adjusts to changes in diet

If calories are increased
    Thermo-genesis
    Body heat is produced
    Metabolism increases
    Muscle mass may increase

If calories are restricted
    Metabolism decreases
    Muscle mass may decrease
    A cascade of metabolic / hormonal changes allow the body to adapt
  • heybales
    Options
    Crap. So I need to be eating more. I should mention that I also have a thyroid issue and currently take thyroid hormones. I partially blame that for my weight gain the last year. I'll try to up my calories to 1700-1900 then and see what happens. I might cut back a bit on the cardio too as I notice I am starting to feel a bit tired.

Thanks for the help!

Less real exercise is indeed the solution and therefore requires less calories.

Gentle walking where the HR really doesn't get up there is mainly fat burning like other daily activities - that is where the deficit comes from anyway, so just more real deficit.
    Keep the walking.
  • pecany
    pecany Posts: 10
    Options
    If you want the exercise to create your deficit, then you should be eating at maintenance level and let that happen. If you want diet to create the deficit, then you should feed the workout.

After reading this again I'm confused. What is maintenance level, is that my BMR? I don't feel that I am 'dieting' per se. I am eating what I like (I've cut out sugar except from fruit) and am happy with what I eat. I still eat carbs but I try to stick with whole grain although I do occasionally eat a small personal pizza with white flour (whole grain pizza dough in restaurants in Europe is rare).
    So are you saying I should either use exercise for the deficit or diet but not both. What if my 'diet' is just a lifestyle change and I enjoy eating better? Believe me.. low fat/no fat cheese and other items are harder to find here that in the US. Most of the time the cheese I eat is at least 15% fat but most of time 40% (so I eat smaller portions). I have yet to find 'fat free' cheese here in Germany.
  • ChocMich
    ChocMich Posts: 23
    Options
    I have just used the Military Body Fat calculator and it reckons my body fat is -2.5%!!

Now I am 165 inches (5' 5") and weigh 171lbs - my neck is 14", waist is 35" and hips are 41". Believe me I am a fatty - I know I am at least 16lbs overweight, so how come the MBFC reckons my lean body mass is 175.2lbs?

Have I inputed something wrong or am I just being thick here?

If you input your numbers exactly the way that you posted them here, I believe I know what your problem is. Your height is 65 inches, not 165 inches.
  • heybales
    Options

After reading this again I'm confused. What is maintenance level, is that my BMR? I don't feel that I am 'dieting' per se. I am eating what I like (I've cut out sugar except from fruit) and am happy with what I eat. I still eat carbs but I try to stick with whole grain although I do occasionally eat a small personal pizza with white flour (whole grain pizza dough in restaurants in Europe is rare).
    So are you saying I should either use exercise for the deficit or diet but not both. What if my 'diet' is just a lifestyle change and I enjoy eating better? Believe me.. low fat/no fat cheese and other items are harder to find here that in the US. Most of the time the cheese I eat is at least 15% fat but most of time 40% (so I eat smaller portions). I have yet to find 'fat free' cheese here in Germany.

BMR is basal metabolic rate. Google it if curious. it is no where near as high as maintenance.

You can actually do a bit of both. But you aren't. You have massive workout routine, and very low cal for that level of effort. You will have problems as your metabolism has to chose what to do with leftover cal's you've forced it to deal with. Repair muscle, grow hair, replace skin, fight disease, deal with the fluid level in all the cells, ect, something will be left undone or partially done.

Many people around the world have slower metabolism than they could be. Many because of lack of food, religious, personal, ect reasons. You can operate just fine on slower BMR.

it's just much slower and harder to lose weight on slower metabolism. And you have less range for variance. You eat 200 more on slow BMR compared to higher BMR, much bigger percentage.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have just used the Military Body Fat calculator and it reckons my body fat is -2.5%!!

Now I am 165 inches (5' 5") and weigh 171lbs - my neck is 14", waist is 35" and hips are 41". Believe me I am a fatty - I know I am at least 16lbs overweight, so how come the MBFC reckons my lean body mass is 175.2lbs?

If you input your numbers exactly the way that you posted them here, I believe I know what your problem is. Your height is 65 inches, not 165 inches.

LOL - that's great!

Now that would be a high BMR.

Norm on Cheers -
    SAM : Whatcha up to, Norm?
    NORM : My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Whoops - it is me being dim then (or rather a slip of the finger on the keyboard!) Thanks for your eagle-eyed spotting :happy:
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OMG - I am WELL under! On a day where I do 30 day shred + 30 minutes cycling I am eating at most 1500 cals and according to the site I am supposed to be on a minimum of 1911 with light exercise........... This may well explain why my losses have really slowed down over the past few weeks.
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    OMG - I am WELL under! On a day where I do 30 day shred + 30 minutes cycling I am eating at most 1500 cals and according to the site I am supposed to be on a minimum of 1911 with light exercise........... This may well explain why my losses have really slowed down over the past few weeks.

Can't argue with science! lol
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Because everyone should read this. :)
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    So I am a bit confused. I went to the http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ calculator and entered in the info.

Age 28
    Female
    Your height (in inches): 66
    Your CURRENT weight (in pounds): 335
    Your GOAL weight (in pounds): 155
    Your body fat percentage (if known): 51

This says my BMR (using the Katch-McArdle Forumla) is 1980.
    I do not see where it says my TDEE? Is this somewhere on here also?
    For a sedentary lifestyle it puts my calories at 1810.

1810 is lower than my BMR...so am I supposed to eat the BMR or the calories it estimates?

Currently I eat 1600 calories. I lose weight if I eat 1600 calories. If I eat 1800 calories I gain weight. So I am wary bumping it up to 2000. Every time I eat 1800 calories I end up gaining. Just trying to figure this out.

I am misreading what the TDEE is? Is a different calculator? Thanks!

I know for a fact that page gave you a warning that your goal loss was too great, that's why you see anything in the table less than your BMR.

You did it right though, and are thinking correctly, just missed that warning.

So go back, make the goal weight 245 for now. When you get to 250, go back and make it 155.

The site does not show you your current TDEE, it is showing you your TDEE at goal weight. You could put current weight in as goal weight, and see what TDEE would estimate to.
    Then go back to 245 goal weight.
    So current TDEE minus eating level is your real deficit.

Read the paragraph right above the table. That is what you eat. It should include your exercise, so only Sedentary if you do not.
    Wrong level if you do exercise. And then you do not eat back exercise calories.

And you do NOT gain fat weight eating at 2000 - your TDEE is much more than that. You would have to eat above your TDEE to actually gain fat from a surplus.

But let me guess, you are exercising pretty decently. What you have gained is merely topping off glucose stores with water that is attached in your muscles. Required weight if you plan on exercising.

You'll lose fat once your body is fed properly.

Thank you that helped a lot. I did miss that warning the first time. I guess I was more focused on the numbers than the details. I recalculated with both 245 lbs and as my current weight as goal weight to get the numbers.
    Now I will work on eating the calories my body needs. I was eating about 500 too few it seems.
  • Nikkilou1202
    Options
    I am understanding the reasoning behind why we have to eat more to loose weight, but I have to say I am slightly scared to increase my calorie intake. I am currently eating about 1000 net calories but should be eating about 2200. If i suddenly increase this huge amount will I put weight on before I start to loose it? How do I increase this much? I eat a fair amount throughout the day. All ideas welcomed. :)
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    It depends on how patient you are. You can gradually add about 200 calories a day a week or so at a time. OR you can add it all at once. However, you will have a gain at first and it may take a few weeks to balance out.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

thank you. I feel like ive been living with nuts and peanut butter supplements my whole life, drinking milk with everything, anything to trick myself into not realising how much Ive eaten. I dont do diet foods, I eat clean. I still struggle around 11-1300 calories perday intake, and then I go and burn 700 more calories... ive been at a plateau for two years, cant lose anymore weight, cant force myself to eat anything denseer than I do.

when i grow up, im going to kill every almond on earth.

Honey, if you still have the body that is on your profile then why on earth do you want to lose more weight? Shouldn't you be maintaining now? Isn't that why you can't lose any more weight? Listen to what your body is telling you.

If you are here for nutrition stuff you are better off going to see your doctor and a nutritionist who will be more in the know than a bunch of people on the internet.

No Im still in the overweight category for BMI- 172 is too big, too heavy, too fat. trying to break through :(
    every calculator Ive ever run says I should weigh between 145 and 155 or so to be healthy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

thank you. I feel like ive been living with nuts and peanut butter supplements my whole life, drinking milk with everything, anything to trick myself into not realising how much Ive eaten. I dont do diet foods, I eat clean. I still struggle around 11-1300 calories perday intake, and then I go and burn 700 more calories... ive been at a plateau for two years, cant lose anymore weight, cant force myself to eat anything denseer than I do.

when i grow up, im going to kill every almond on earth.

I would totally ignore BMI calculators - most professional athletes would be overweight, or even obese on the BMI scale as it does not take into account if someone has more lean muscle mass than average. I would suggest you look at your body fat % as an indicator of healthy weight.

Honey, if you still have the body that is on your profile then why on earth do you want to lose more weight? Shouldn't you be maintaining now? Isn't that why you can't lose any more weight? Listen to what your body is telling you.

If you are here for nutrition stuff you are better off going to see your doctor and a nutritionist who will be more in the know than a bunch of people on the internet.

No Im still in the overweight category for BMI- 172 is too big, too heavy, too fat. trying to break through :(
    every calculator Ive ever run says I should weigh between 145 and 155 or so to be healthy.

I would ignore the BMI - it is totally misleading for a lot of folks. Most professional athletes would be overweight or even obese according to it because it does not account for people with highter than average muscle mass. I would recommend you basing your 'healthy' weight more on body fat% as this accounts for the type of weight you have i.e. fat v lean mass.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I totally took that same advice and have had amazing results this week!! woo hoo for more calories and EAT WHAT YOU EXERCISE OFF!!!!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Eating more does NOT work for me. Period.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • QuintinV
    QuintinV Posts: 28
    Options
    i'm in the "eat more" camp - now! i was stubborn and refused to listen...tried it a couple of weeks ago (eating more) and it is working for me!

well done OP...

I initially could not see the logic behind it and struggled for a while and then decided I had nothing to lose (couldn't get worse) so decided to force myself to up my calories and I was amazed! I am losing at a much higher rate than before and very happy I listened to everyone's advice!

PS I feel a million times better; have more energy, generally feel healthier and more motivated obviously