For the 500,000 time EATING MORE WORKS

Options

Replies

• sar123bear
    Options
    For everyone that wants to make it a little easier on themselves, go to freedieting.com, then go to the Calorie Calculator to figure your Daily Calorie Needs - here's the link: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

While this won't give you the exact same figures with doing all the math that the fat2fit.com site will give you, you'll be in the same ballpark that you need to be in to lose weight at a healthy level. I've done quite a few comparisons with real live people in my weight loss group.

It doesn't call the numbers it spits out "TDEE" or "BMR" but really, it's about the same (extremely close) when I did my calculations.

I set the figures for myself at sedentary because I don't have a job that I'm walking around all day, but you could be different. I also log my workouts via MFP, so I add my exercise calories back.

Just understand:

Maintenance = your current TDEE (as you lose weight, you'll want to re-check this periodically as it will go down)
    Fat Loss = what you should set up in MFP to be your daily goal - this will allow you to get down to a healthy level of weight.
    Extreme Fat Loss= what not to go below or stay at for very long in order to avoid plateaus / "starvation mode" I find that this number was close to my BMR as calculated on fat2fit.com

It just seems like a lot of folks are very confused on how to do the calculations - with this calculator at freedieting.com, you don't need to do all that, and it doesn't require a measuring tape - while it's not exact, it's pretty darned close. Just be sure you select the male or female button so you're not over-eating - default is male. :-D

Hope this helps! It's encouraging to see multiple calculators spit out figures telling me I need to eat more! :bigsmile:

17881265.png
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how people only eat 1200 calories a day!!! I am lucky my height gives me extra calories to eat (I am at 1500-1700/day). I will say my sister lost 25lbs on 1200 calories/day working out 3x/week, but it was extremely hard for her. Either was I am still losing weight eating over 1200 calories so I am going to continue to do so.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    For me:
    IT.DOES.NOT.WORK.

Ummm....your earlier post saying the same thing got the point across - so there is no need to shout.

For me, if does work, so I enjoy eating well (1700 - 2000 cals a day), having treats, doing very little cardio (I strength train mainly) and still lose weight.
  • Farfelue
    Farfelue Posts: 63
    Options
    Star123bear, thank you! At last a website that takes in the kilos and cms.

Well, my maintenance should be 1,235 and for fat loss 988 cals. I'm not sure I can manage this. I'll try the 7 calories cycle.

I understand now why I am not losing weight, I was eating at maintenance level.

Thanks!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1def50iQO1qb0bg2.gif

I love this thread!
  • Ceit60
    Ceit60 Posts: 15
    Options
    Ok, I checked that out and found it very interesting. I'll give the 1200 a couple of weeks but I've bookmarked the page - it's great to have information like this because you'd be inclined to get despondent and throw in the towel if you're really trying and not seeing results. Thanks
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Star123bear, thank you! At last a website that takes in the kilos and cms.

Well, my maintenance should be 1,235 and for fat loss 988 cals. I'm not sure I can manage this. I'll try the 7 calories cycle.

I understand now why I am not losing weight, I was eating at maintenance level.

Thanks!

I think your calculatios are off - unless you are 3 foot tall your maintenance must be over this number. I think you are using your BMR here. BMR is the energy expended if you are basically in a coma. You also need to take into account of all the daily activity you do. You may want to recheck your numbers.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    A LOT of people, including myself, are scared ****less of the thought of eating more but there are too many sucess stories out there claiming it works, so after a long struggle of my own, I have decided to give it a try, and if it works for me, I shall be shouting it from the rooftops!!!

Well done on your sucess!

Ditto on that!!! I just upped my calories today!
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to up my calories, been on under 1000 for a long time, then below 1300. At 1500-1600 I'm not yet seeing results (been 10 days or so) so it really knocks my confidence. It's good to see success stories like this, it keeps me going and keeps me determined. Don't want to fail because of impatience. So thank you for sharing and keeping me spurred on :)

I too upped my calories, it took about 2 weeks. Finally yesterday i jumped on the scale and had lost a pound. This morning I also stepped on the scale again and was amazed to see i had lost yet another pound. I was staying at the same weight for about 3-4 weeks. So patience is the key. Don't stop just yet!!
  • kg6blue
    kg6blue Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I too have been struggling with the scale moving. So if you use the "freedieting" calculator... are those calories (fat loss) the amount you should aim for each day as total calories and you can exercise, or do you "eat back" the exercise calories on the days you exercise... and add to the fat loss amount?

My calculations were
    Maintenance = 2158
    Fat Loss -= 1726
    Extreme = 1360

As I look at my last 7 days net calories... I've ben down around the extreme level. But I do exercise almost every day ranging calorie burn 300-600 a day.

Always that fine line... am I eating too much or too little???
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I too have been struggling with the scale moving. So if you use the "freedieting" calculator... are those calories (fat loss) the amount you should aim for each day as total calories and you can exercise, or do you "eat back" the exercise calories on the days you exercise... and add to the fat loss amount?

My calculations were
    Maintenance = 2158
    Fat Loss -= 1726
    Extreme = 1360

As I look at my last 7 days net calories... I've ben down around the extreme level. But I do exercise almost every day ranging calorie burn 300-600 a day.

Always that fine line... am I eating too much or too little???

Did you select an activity level that included honest exercise?
    If yes, no, if no, yes.

I found that site put the Extreme level 200 below my BMR - not good at all.

I think that site is going to have people shooting themselves in their metabolism if not careful.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    For me:
    IT.DOES.NOT.WORK.

What doesn't work? Eating between BMR and TDEE has to work. If it doesn't then you have calculated something wrong.

As TDEE are your maintenance calories, eating at a reasonable, non-aggressive deficit has to result in weight loss.
  • emilyc19
    emilyc19 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I found this:

While you are restricting calories and losing weight - or "dieting" - your BMR rate slows down. That's the rate at which your body burns calories to perform normal functions like breathing and staying warm. Very low calorie diets (around 800 calories a day) can reduce your metabolic rate by as much as 30 percent. Your body perceives itself to be "starving", so it reduces the calories it burns. It was once thought that this reduction in calorie burning would affect your resting metabolic rate indefinitely, but research does not support that idea. A more recent study showed that women who diet frequently do not have significantly lower metabolic rates than women who have not been chronic dieters. You will sometimes hear dieters say "I've ruined my metabolism", but this is not true or possible. It may seem like you are burning fewer calories than you did at one time and that is true. But the reason is because you have lost muscle through past weight loss efforts and you are not as active as you should be, especially with strength training.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    how do I calculate the amount of calories I need having TDEE and BMR?
    www.fat2fitradio.com/tools - use the Military Bodyfat and then the BMR/Cal Calculators :)

Congratulations OP :D

So this is what confused me - I guess having a hard time wrapping my head around it...

according to that site, to get down to my goal weight, based on my current weight and bf% (as calculated by that site), I need to consume 1,966 calories a day. That would be me eating like the thinner, healthy person I want to be.

What?!? I just don't get that. I have been eating above 1200 calories - mostly around 1300-1400 most days (to net, but total) and for the last month, doing JM's Ripped in 30. I eat back some of the exercise calories. But eating almost 2,000 and I am supposed to lose weight on that?

I have a hard time coming to terms with that, I guess. Can anyone help explain that to me??
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It hasn't worked for me :sad: That little ticker that says I have lost 5 pounds. I have gained 4 of it back in 2 weeks by upping my cals up to TDEE of 1600ish calories.

When should I see a loss? Am I one of the rare ones on here? I know what works for you might not work for me. I am thinking upping the calories is not for me. I will give it another week or so.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It hasn't worked for me :sad: That little ticker that says I have lost 5 pounds. I have gained 4 of it back in 2 weeks by upping my cals up to TDEE of 1600ish calories.

When should I see a loss? Am I one of the rare ones on here? I know what works for you might not work for me. I am thinking upping the calories is not for me. I will give it another week or so.

Give it a few more weeks... not just one. If you've been under eating for a while, it takes time for your body to figure out that you're going to be consistent in giving it enough, high quality food from now on.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    We just need to think of our bodies as a car, if we dont keep it fueled enough it wont last long. We need to fuel up our bodies to function and fire up our metabolism so we can keep going.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Give it a few more weeks... not just one. If you've been under eating for a while, it takes time for your body to figure out that you're going to be consistent in giving it enough, high quality food from now on.
    Also, don't eat your TDEE, but between that and your BMR.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Also, don't eat your TDEE, but between that and your BMR.

Well, that fat2fit.com site, the TDEE is at future weight, and IS actually the eating to goal, not below. An automatic deficit compared to current TDEE.