Replies

• TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • pecany
    pecany Posts: 10
    Options
    I just want to say thanks to heybales for all the help on the original thread. As a newbie it was very confusing for me but I think I finally get it. I've been slowing down the intensity of my workout regimen and eating more calories and I'm down 2 lbs already.

Thank you!!
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just commenting so I can follow the thread.
  • Jentheoriginal
    Jentheoriginal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just commenting so I can follow the thread.

Me too
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ok, so you all almost have me convinced. So, I am 5'9'' and I have lost 16 lbs here so far, but recently I have been stuck, for about 3 weeks now. I have gotten really into exercise and have been biking 10-15 miles a day 4-5 days a week at about 18 mph. I also do some light weight training 2-3 days a week. Before now, I was eating 1300-1600 calories a day and eating back some of my exercise calories because mfp overestimates.

I think after reading all these threads, it seems clear that I have been undereating, but I don't know what to up my calories to in order to fix it if I want to keep up the exercise. Do I just eat at maintenance? *oh, and how many should I shoot for on days that I don't workout? HELPPP

Also, how long did it take you all to start losing again after you did this?
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    me three =)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ok, so you all almost have me convinced. So, I am 5'9'' and I have lost 16 lbs here so far, but recently I have been stuck, for about 3 weeks now. I have gotten really into exercise and have been biking 10-15 miles a day 4-5 days a week at about 18 mph. I also do some light weight training 2-3 days a week. Before now, I was eating 1300-1600 calories a day and eating back some of my exercise calories because mfp overestimates.

I think after reading all these threads, it seems clear that I have been undereating, but I don't know what to up my calories to in order to fix it if I want to keep up the exercise. Do I just eat at maintenance? HELPPP

Also, how long did it take you all to start losing again after you did this?

Just start eating back some more of your exercise calories. If you're worried about going over, get a heart rate monitor for your cardio sessions, so you can better track your calories out. If you don't feel hungry, you might want to try simply drinking a protein shake (or chocolate milk) after your workouts. It's a pretty easy way to add 100-300 calories without feeling like you're force-feeding yourself.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • MzNeecie
    MzNeecie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    this is very helpful i too feel like it is impossible to continue to keep a steady decline in weight when i exercise regularly and eat right. i for instance work out six days a week cyle twice a week, zumba twice a week, weight train twice a week and two hours of cardio five days a week. i eat healthy meals and snacks and even still at the end of the night i have over a 1000+ calories to try to eat. its crazy. i get tired of eating literally. so now my weight loss has stopped all together. i am lost, i don't want to eat a bunch of b.s to use up the calories and i don't want to start skipping out on the gym but i need to get these last 25 pounds off and i don't know how.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried MFP, I was on a strict 1200-calorie diet, rarely eating back my calories on workout days. I didn't lose a single pound. Or, if I did, I would gain it back within a couple of weeks. It never occurred to me that this was because I wasn't eating enough. I always thought that in order to lose weight you had to eat less calories than you were burning, it seems so backwards and unnatural to up the calories to lose the weight.

This time, I am educating myself, and understanding that my body needs fuel to go. I try not to weigh myself every day, but I already FEEL better. For the past year I thought there was something wrong with me because I was exhausted all the time, it's because I wasn't eating enough.

I get it now :D Thanks for the post!
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    this most definitely does not work for everyone!
    I was eating like a normal person was, average of 1400-1600 cals a day (around my BRM) barely restricting foods, eating breakfast and having chocolate and sodas a max of 2 times a week.
    I didn't loose anything. (I went to the gym 2 times a week also!)

Ive been on around 1300 calories for only a week and have already lost .5 of a kilo. . . .
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Works for me. :smile:

Like most people I started on low cal. It only took me 2 months to stall out on that. Upped my cals and BAM. Scale started moving again. Pants got looser. Hit another plateau, upped my cals some more and started losing again. Over the past 6 months I've gradually increased my calorie intake and I just keep losing. In fact I just upped it again. Lost 2 pounds last week. I like being able to eat and still lose weight. I'm not going to torture myself eating low cal. Just not for me...
  • icefirekitty
    Options
    I have my calorie goal set at 1400. my calories burned through exercise range from 300-900. Should i always eat back ALL the calories? or just half? I feel like i would be negating my exercise.
  • phxJames
    phxJames Posts: 20
    Options
    I feel like i would be negating my exercise.

Don't know your height/weight/or specific goals, so I'll just ask...
    If this were a consistent pattern for you, over the long run, how do you suppose netting 1,100 calories daily would impact your overall success (efficacy and enjoyability) with long-term regular exercise?
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a month. Put on 3lb.
    For me it doesn't work.
    We are not all the same.
  • icefirekitty
    Options

If this were a consistent pattern for you, over the long run, how do you suppose netting 1,100 calories daily would impact your overall success (efficacy and enjoyability) with long-term regular exercise?

im 5'5 and weigh 138. I want to get down to at least 120, i have a bunch of fat left over from pregnancy im trying to get rid of. So in my head my goal is to workout and burn as many calories as i can to lose weight. I binge at least once a week, which im trying to get selfcontrol over. Im also breastfeeding, so all the numbers of what im burning and should be eating are confusing me. However, this will not be long term exercise. I go back to full time school this fall, so i won't have the free time to be going to the gym. My exercise will probably drop to a workout video, burning no more then 200. Will it impact me?
  • osmanturkmen37
    Options
    Alisa546227
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Sure, I could definitely eat more than 1200 NET. I however am morbidly obese and I needed to decrease my weight ASAP or my medical conditions would become more severe. I have been eating between 1200-1500 calories over 7-8 months and have lost nearly 60lbs. While I could eat more, I do not wish to slow my progress until I am under 200.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

im 5'5 and weigh 138. I want to get down to at least 120, i have a bunch of fat left over from pregnancy im trying to get rid of. So in my head my goal is to workout and burn as many calories as i can to lose weight. I binge at least once a week, which im trying to get selfcontrol over. Im also breastfeeding, so all the numbers of what im burning and should be eating are confusing me. However, this will not be long term exercise. I go back to full time school this fall, so i won't have the free time to be going to the gym. My exercise will probably drop to a workout video, burning no more then 200. Will it impact me?

It's important to eat back at least half of your calories, PLUS breastfeeding burns an extra 200-400 calories on top of that. You also do not have much to lose, it would be more sustainable and less risk of losing milk supply to just take your time and eat a little more.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Wow, necro thread. Brings back memories.