Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - April Challenge!! Take 2!!

Options
Hey fabulous 20 somethings - Another month gone and another fresh beginning! What better time to set some killer goals to get back on track before the summer weather hits us -- it's already warming up out there so it's time to get fit, and have fun :wink:

This will be a quick intro for those looking for a new challenge and wanting to stick it out for at least a month. For those who are vets to our monthly challenges, you know how its done. Keep on scrollin'!

For the newbs - Welcome! Here's the 'skinny' on our healthy living and lifestyle challenge...

As with the challenges that have come before, this is a place where MFPals in their 20s can search out support, motivation, and advice while they are working towards their own personal goals. You're encouraged to set your own targets based on what is important to you and what challenges you face that you hope to overcome - set out goals for the month, make them attainable, and then just keep coming back to update us on your progress, help motivate others, and kick some serious *kitten*!! This group is home to Pals at all stages in their journey and there is plenty of advice, friendship and *love* to go around - If you have any questions or just need help getting moving, or you're a total veteran at this whole healthy living thing, you're welcome here! Just post whatever you like, show some support when you can, and enjoy the group

Here's what we ask:

1) As our veteran members (and newbs alike) sign onto the challenge once again, a list like the one found at the bottom of this post will start forming. This is our “goals list”. If you want to join the challenge, we ask that you copy and paste the most up-to-date list and tag your own screen name and goals onto the bottom – this is so that we can keep things moving along and no one gets left behind! (If you notice that someone's been left off, due to a high volume of posting, please incorporate their goals back into the list whenever possible.)
2) Set attainable and realistic goals! This group is dedicated to supporting healthy living, first and foremost, and that includes physical, emotional and mental health. So set goals that you know you can reach, with hard work and persistence, and find ways to celebrate small victories whenever you can. This will help you stay motivated and on track! We recommend setting some non-scale goals along with a scale goal if you are trying to lose weight – seeing progress in your fitness, your measurements and your diet is a great way to celebrate small changes in your life that make a HUGE difference. Be flexible, know that things aren't going to go perfectly as planned every day, and allow some wiggle room for a bad day here and there. We all have them!
3) Once your goals are posted, stay active and enjoy the benefits of this awesome community. Oh, and invite your 20-something friends! Let's keep this group moving, ladies!

As for March - Here's our most recent goal list. How did your progress stack up? For the newbs, here's a gander at the types of goals we set out to acheive. It may serve as a little inspiration for you to kick start your journey here
-CindyM29 -log in everyday, run at least 2 miles a day, lose 8 lbs this month, drink at least 8 cups of water a day, be able to do at least one pull up.
-Eleanoreb (Eleanore or El for short)- find time for cross training (yoga, spinning, athletic conditioning, swimming..) eat healthy ( use up calories with healthy and nutritious foods rather then cookies etc)
-Kendib - Get my MOTIVATION back! Get ready to rock the 5k race in the beginning of April.
-lalonmeg000 (meghan) tell my job I quit! (scary but exciting). Start insanity back, keep up with the water intake, start using my planner again. Buy new clothes for Cali because I deserve it and I will have lost ssooo much weight ;)
-Twisted88 - Bring dinners on school nights, limit my eating out to a maximum of 10 times total, workout at least 6 days a week, and lose 2 inches off hips and waist
-Ratchettconde - Complete the 30 Day Shred, lose 15 lbs and at least 10 inches, drink more water, motivate my friends to stay on track, and I want to find 10 new friends on MFP to motivate and get support from. Oh, and I need to weigh less than my mother ( shes lost 150 lbs..... 370-220ish) Love you Mom lol
-shattoy (Stephanie) - Go to spin class at least once a week and workout one additional day at the gym (weights, etc.), drink more water (at least 4 servings) and loose 1-2lbs. I also want to log more (at least 5 days/week) on MFP as I have been infrequent as of late!
-mebohan--Master Push-ups and be able to do at least one pull-up/chin-up. Train for half marathon in April by at least running 2 times a week. Workout 5 days a week minimum. drastically decrease carb intake. lose more than 4 lbs!
-rintin88 (Erin)- Workout at least 4x a week, up my water intake, no fast food, walk at least 5,000 steps a day, and lose 6lbs by the end of the month
-SweetMelissa222 - Start running again, hit a total loss of 35lbs. (7 more lbs to go)
-JessYas- finish the LA marathon in under 5 hours (hopefully close to 4:30!), continue weight workouts 2x/week, graduate from "girl" push-ups to "real" push-ups! happy
-VLaaber (Vicci)- Lose at least 5 pounds within the month, start learning to really how to run, go to bikram yoga at least once a week, go to the gym at least 4 times and day and work on my upper body strength.
-Award30 - Pass my oral qualifying exam for grad school, still lose 2 lbs this month while studying for said exam, complete my first half marathon in less than 2:20
-Meagalayne- Run and finish the ATB 30K race and ENJOY the victory; no weigh-ins until Mar 30th (when I will update my weight and all measurements and set goals for Spring/Summer weight training); finish my novel and start a new one; plan another trip in April and register for at least 2 races this spring
-GuamGrly (Bethany) - get into the 130s’s (5 pound loss), continue 5K training, try one new recipe per week, continue to up water consumption, and read one book
-Allie7383- PR in the NYC Half (3/18), keep logging, get to 145 or below, start and complete Ripped in 30.
-Abby459 --- My main goal this month is to keep training and then complete my first 1/2 marathon on 3/25!!! Secretly I have a goal of 2:30 but at long as I finish I will be happy!! My only other goals this month are to keep up water and fruit/veggie intakes.
GreenHumanClay (Cynthia) Continue my training plan for my first 1/2 March 17th, weight train 3xs, sleep more, gave up weighing myself for Lent (not religious purposes), so no weighing-in, eat out < 3 times per week (actual challenge for a project) focus on school, and really appreciate life!
-apple2107 - Lose 5 lbs from now til end of the month. Stick to Jillian M's 6 weeks 6 packs at least 5 times per week (the other two with different activities), drink at least 8 cups of water everyday and start tracking AGAIN.
tiffintn- log all calories (no cheating). work out at least 4x a day (not cardio bunny style.. real lifting)...lose 29 more lbs then reasses body comp...most of all GAIN SELF CONFIDENCE>>>BE HAPPY WITH MYSELF!!!
abellone7289- track EVERY day. No cheat days. Run 3 times a week. lose 4 pounds by my birthday (April 9)
140Aimee- lose 7lbs and to start taking up exercise

**Remember friends - no one ever got anywhere worth going without giving a varsity try. So push yourself a little outside your comfort zone this month. Set goals that focus on your own choices and behaviour and aren't dependent on the whim of the scale, the weather gods, or any other outside force. Look at your life as a whole - fitness, nutrition and mental health - and set goals to improve every part of your day. This challenge is yours and no goals are silly, too small, or out of place here. Just go with what works for you and what will help to push you towards a healthier, happier life!

So! What's on tap for April? Let's see some new, creative goals and really think hard about working on what will get you to where you want to be this month and moving ahead this year. Can't wait to kick some *kitten* in April! Get us started, ladies (and gents)! :drinker:

Meag :heart:

Replies

• allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Ok starting this thing off I guess.. Working my night shift this Sat. night instead of having a life.. good lord i can't wait to have a new job! Anyways, here's my goals from March:

Allie7383- PR in the NYC Half (3/18), keep logging, get to 145 or below, start and complete Ripped in 30.

Happy to say I PR'd in NYC (2:20)!, I got to 143.5 last week, and then this week being messed up I was up to 146, so I'm taking it as a half victory..I did ok with logging, minus the last week of the month when I was majorly sick, and I started RI30 and am in level 2.

So for April here goes! Make it a great month guys!!

Allie7383- PR in my 5K on 4/22, Complete Ripped in 30, maintain low 140's, and be more positive all around!
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    So my Goals from March were:
    -Abby459 --- My main goal this month is to keep training and then complete my first 1/2 marathon on 3/25!!! Secretly I have a goal of 2:30 but at long as I finish I will be happy!! My only other goals this month are to keep up water and fruit/veggie intakes.

I did keep up with my training, as best I could through my bought with bronchitis!! And completed my first 1/2 marathon with a time of 2:10:18 I'd say that killed my unofficial goal time!! Did good on my water intake and OK on fruits/veggies...most days had at least 4 servings, although a few days here and there may have been low....overall an OK month for me!!

For April....I really need to get myself back on track, I have been struggling big time!! So some of my goals this month will be going back to the basics with my logging and workouts. If my scale was correct today then I gained 2lbs in the past week!! Not good at all!!

Allie7383- PR in my 5K on 4/22, Complete Ripped in 30, maintain low 140's, and be more positive all around!
    abby459 - Log EVERYTHING I eat this month. Watch my sodium intake. Stay under calories almost everyday (giving myself 2 days off for the month) Keep training for my 10K trail race on April 28th....goal is to be able to run the entire thing.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Great to see you ladies again! I will have more time tonight to update and will post my goals and March victories then. I just wanted to say WELCOME BACK and keep on posting with your April Goals chicas!

Loving this fresh start. Lord knows I need one! :noway:
  • Resolute2012
    Options
    Hey all,

Noobie here for the challenge but not so new for the life change. I'm working on those last stubborn 7 pounds so my goals are just about safely and patiently working those off.

Thanks for doing this, can't wait to get started!

abby459 - Log EVERYTHING I eat this month. Watch my sodium intake. Stay under calories almost everyday (giving myself 2 days off for the month) Keep training for my 10K trail race on April 28th....goal is to be able to run the entire thing.
    Resolute2012 - Log in EVERY day, stay under calories, run five days a week
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Noobie. Having a hard time with it lately.

Making a pledge to do better in April.

JulieH3art - Drop 5lbs!!! Stick to my promises.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

my goal was -Eleanoreb (Eleanore or El for short)- find time for cross training (yoga, spinning, athletic conditioning, swimming..) eat healthy ( use up calories with healthy and nutritious foods rather then cookies etc)

So i definitely didnt get to swimming or yoga, but I did do some spinning and did pretty well with my athletic conditioning. As per eating healthy, that one was a bit of a fail. I'm definitely using running too much as an excuse to eat more junk. The past few days I feel i've been eating like garbage. So goal for this month will definitely be to eat healthier and find healthier snacks

I ran 130 miles in March, and i'm pretty happy with that. fitness wise, I will be focusing on running this month, and try and fit in some more core work.

Eleanoreb- Eat healthier, find healthy snacks, don't use the excuse "well i'm running so much, i can eat this" , core/ab work
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Goals for March were: -Kendib - Get my MOTIVATION back! Get ready to rock the 5k race in the beginning of April.

I did get my motivation back and was able to workout often this month and stayed on target eating wise. I am ready for my 5k race on the 7th but can't run the whole thing yet. I will continue to work on that for April.

Eleanoreb- Eat healthier, find healthy snacks, don't use the excuse "well i'm running so much, i can eat this" , core/ab work
    Kendib - Run 3 days a week, add in some cross training, be able to run a complete 5k.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Kendib - Run 3 days a week, add in some cross training, be able to run a complete 5k.
    Bonniejo - Stop eating when I'm full, don't eat when I'm not hungry, and lose 3 pounds :)
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Back here tomorrow ladies :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Ok... Well I've got a few minutes tonight so I'll post what I can. My day did NOT turn out as expected and I really just want to crash in bed with a book. Enough computer time for me today :noway:

My goals for Mar - Meagalayne- Run and finish the ATB 30K race and ENJOY the victory; no weigh-ins until Mar 30th (when I will update my weight and all measurements and set goals for Spring/Summer weight training); finish my novel and start a new one; plan another trip in April and register for at least 2 races this spring

**I finished the ATB under my dream goal (3hours) by 19 seconds, but I have to say I didn't really enjoy the victory. No same runners high as with other racers and my bestest running pal being injured certainly made it tough to feel good about anything. I would have given it all up to just have us all happy, healthy and feeling 100%. I think that long-haul races (over 10miles) are going to be a very rare occurrence for me in the future. The occasional Half marathon to keep me on my toes, but I want to get faster and stronger and the training required for these runs just takes everything out of me. I feel like I sacrificed a lot to run this race and I'm not sure it was worth it in the end...
    I didn't weigh-in until Mar 30th, and on Mar 30th I weighed EXACTLY what I weighed Feb 3rd. All measurements were the same. No great shakes. Definitely need to work on toning up and feeling better about my skinny-fat-*kitten* :tongue:
    I finished my novel and started a new one - now just working at that one! I also planned a trip (to San Diego, leaving next Friday) and registered for 2 races (Apr 6th and Apr 29th). So kudos to me on those goals. Easy peasy when things SOUND fun, right? :laugh:

Cynth - You better, girl ! I'm watching you.... :huh: hahah

bonniejo, julieH3art, resolute2012 - Welcome! :flowerforyou: I hope you find this group and excellence source of motivation and support. Post often and get to know us. We're some pretty rad and very inspiring ladies around here. Lots of great athletes, foodies, and fabulous friendships formed. Keep up with your goals and join our little MFP clique :wink: All are welcome as long as they know how to kick some major *kitten*.

Kendib - Way to own your goals this past month!! You did great and had fun doing it :bigsmile: Running 5K without breaks is a great goal to have, but just finishing the distance (at any speed) and feeling GOOD afterwards long-term goal making at its finest. The whole to-walk-or-not-to-walk thing has been discussed here in the past and it's very much a personal choice, but taking the odd break to extend your distance, maintain your pace, and enjoy your runs is nothing to be worried about. If it really bugs you, then work at it, but there are a lot of really expert runners who still every once in a while. And no, I'm not just talking about myself :laugh: But it definitely doesn't take anything away from your run. And a lot of times it helps to keep you running faster and stronger, even if it's just a mental boost that you need. My first ever 5K I ended up running way too fast at the start and walking 3 times to catch my breath. And I still rocked my time :bigsmile: You'll kill it on the 7th - just do whatever works for you on that day!

El - Your running is bananas! :noway: I only run 3x per week and I managed just over 100 miles this month. You're a freaking ROCKSTAR for running 130... My hero! *swoon* Great goals lady! What kind of healthy snacks are you thinking of?

Abby - Good luck logging - I know you're going to do great! And once again, we're racing on the same weekend this month. And I don't doubt we're going to smash it again! :drinker: Let's both work at knock this one outta the park too!

Allie - Love your goals and stealing one for myself... I need to work on my attitude bigtime! Thanks darling :wink:

I've got a lot of things to work on this month, so here's the updated goals list. Pardon my taking it over :blushing:

Bonniejo - Stop eating when I'm full, don't eat when I'm not hungry, and lose 3 pounds :)
    Meagalayne- Set a new PR in the 5K and 1/2 Marathon distances; Run on the beach at every opportunity on vacation and enjoy some good beer, live music, and great food; Finish my novel and start another; Acknowledge when I'm feeling needlessly sorry for myself and work on being positive for the sake of being positive; and finish out the month with a solid, tangible plan for both building strength/toning up and being happy in your personal life and relationship

OK my darlings - Off for the night! Stay fit and have fun :heart:
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Meagalayne- Set a new PR in the 5K and 1/2 Marathon distances; Run on the beach at every opportunity on vacation and enjoy some good beer, live music, and great food; Finish my novel and start another; Acknowledge when I'm feeling needlessly sorry for myself and work on being positive for the sake of being positive; and finish out the month with a solid, tangible plan for both building strength/toning up and being happy in your personal life and relationship
    Alexsmith01 - Lose 1kg, cook 3 new healthy recipes, study study study for exams on 1/2 May
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new :) - my last post (in quotes) has my goals, just writing a wee explanation/introduction.

You guys are amazing, all your running and stuff, I am trying to get back into running (used to love it) but not at the top of my priority list this month - so in the future reading your posts will be such an inspiration, can't wait until I get good enough to start participating in races!

To explain my goals::
    - I have the flu again, for the third time this autumn (it's autumn for me, started in March). Not sure why my usually bulletproof immune system is letting me down, but I am focusing on eating lots of healthy meals, and will start taking some vitamins and hopefully get better!
    - 1/2 May I have professional exams, which for this month basically require me to study 10-20 hours per week on top of full time work - it's only for a month but it is very very very important so this is a huge priority!
    - Lose 1kg (2.2lbs), this is more of a secondary goal, the first two are more important, but it would be nice to continue to lose and so I will stick to my calorie goals.

Alexsmith01 - Lose 1kg, cook 3 new healthy recipes, study study study for exams on 1/2 May
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    In for April, post more tomorrow, just got back in from my trip and super tired! Missed y'all though!!
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, megalayne! Excited to do this. :smile:

I've zoned in on my biggest weakness lately, which has been chocolate.. I've decided to skip chocolate altogether, and my alternate plan is that: every time I crave chocolate, I will drink a glass of water instead. So far I've had about two litres, so it must be going okay.

Hoping to keep this up until summer season! I haven't dared weigh myself in a while, because I know the result will be hard to take. :frown: I know I need to weigh in for this challenge but it's scary.

edit:

I'm also looking to get back into running :smile: I was at my fittest when I trained for the half marathon a couple of years back, but I really grew sick of running after it. Now, however, I've bought a little something called Zombies, Run! - an audio running RPG.. so dorky, but I tried it yesterday and I love it. They even have interval training where you have to flee from the zombies! Bring on a new running season :happy:
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Ezak86- lose 5 pounds, do HIIT sprints 3x/week and get target speed up to 11mph, cook more food at home, improve run distance to 10miles, get out an be more confident talking to strangers at the bars

...HI everyone. My name is Erica and I'd like to help motivate you all to reach your goals, and hope to reach a few of my own. This last month I plateaued so I'm really hoping to start the scale moving in the right direction and start pushing my physicality. Toodles~!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Bumping for now...will post tonight!
  • qwerty07
    qwerty07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello all, my name's Michelle and I'm excited to be a part of this motivating group. I'm also training for my second half-marathon, and first 10k of the season this month so I can definitely use the extra push. All that you have accomplished with jobs, school, etc is pretty inspiring! My goals for this month are to run 100 miles, strength train 3 x a week, and stay under my calories everyday (except for Sunday)

Ezak86- lose 5 pounds, do HIIT sprints 3x/week and get target speed up to 11mph, cook more food at home, improve run distance to 10miles, get out an be more confident talking to strangers at the bars
    Qwerty07- Run 100 miles, strength train 3x per week, stay under calories every day except Sunday
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello again ladies! I am back for my first full month with y'all. Last month my goals were to:
    Log every day (no cheating). Run at least 3 times a week, and lose 4 pounds by my birthday.

So I did long everyday! Even over this weekend when I went TOTALLY over by a lot. so yay on that front. I did not run 3 days a week. :cry: with all the tests and papers I had to write, it just wasn't possible. and My birthday is a week from today so I don't know how I did on that last one yet. I won't be getting on the scale til then.

This month I hope to ACTUALLY run 3 times a week, even if it's just a mile at a time. I have asthma so my lungs hate when I start running again every spring. So baby steps. I also hop to get down to 138lbs by the end of the month. I want to hit 135 for my graduation (May 20) so I am hoping I can make it! Also I need to be less stressed about life and the things I cannot control.

Just to update everyone I am feeling much better since my last post! I am still stressed out about not knowing where I am living in a month and a half, but I got to talk it out with my boyfriend and my best friend. I had a girls night over the weekend and spent Saturday catching up with my best friend who was visiting. It was just the stress reliever I needed! :smile: I know I have no control over this stuff and I just have to take it a week at a time (planning-wise). I also got in a really good run today. Only 2 miles but it's a starting place. I feel so energetic now. I really did miss this. :happy:

Anywho, welcome to all you newbies out there :flowerforyou: . This is a FABULOUS group. I have only been a part of it for a week and a half and I love the support and motivation I get here! I look forward to helping you all out too!
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Qwerty07- Run 100 miles, strength train 3x per week, stay under calories every day except Sunday
    abellone7289 (Manda)- Run three times a week, even if It's just a mile. Get down to 138 by the 30th. Accept that I can't control everything and I should take my stressors one week at a time.
  • oncemorewithfeeling
    Options
    abellone7289 (Manda)- Run three times a week, even if It's just a mile. Get down to 138 by the 30th. Accept that I can't control everything and I should take my stressors one week at a time.
    oncemorewithfeeling- get below 150 lbs (means losing bout 8 lbs), add the 30 day shred on top of my workouts, stop snacking on things like crackers just because they're low in calories, buy a bathing suit I can feel good in