Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - April Challenge!! Take 2!!

Options

Replies

• fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm a newbie. I'm in the final weeks of training for my first half marathon. I was sidelined back in November with IT band syndrome, and I had to take a break from running. I'm trying to listen to my body more, and learn when to take it easy/rest.

Allie7383- PR in my 5K on 4/22, Complete Ripped in 30, maintain low 140's, and be more positive all around!
    abby459 - Log EVERYTHING I eat this month. Watch my sodium intake. Stay under calories almost everyday (giving myself 2 days off for the month) Keep training for my 10K trail race on April 28th....goal is to be able to run the entire thing.
    Resolute2012 - Log in EVERY day, stay under calories, run five days a week
    JulieH3art - Drop 5lbs!!! Stick to my promises.
    Eleanoreb- Eat healthier, find healthy snacks, don't use the excuse "well i'm running so much, i can eat this" , core/ab work
    Kendib - Run 3 days a week, add in some cross training, be able to run a complete 5k.
    Bonniejo - Stop eating when I'm full, don't eat when I'm not hungry, and lose 3 pounds :)
    Meagalayne- Set a new PR in the 5K and 1/2 Marathon distances; Run on the beach at every opportunity on vacation and enjoy some good beer, live music, and great food; Finish my novel and start another; Acknowledge when I'm feeling needlessly sorry for myself and work on being positive for the sake of being positive; and finish out the month with a solid, tangible plan for both building strength/toning up and being happy in your personal life and relationship
    Alexsmith01 - Lose 1kg, cook 3 new healthy recipes, study study study for exams on 1/2 May
    Ezak86- lose 5 pounds, do HIIT sprints 3x/week and get target speed up to 11mph, cook more food at home, improve run distance to 10miles, get out an be more confident talking to strangers at the bars
    Qwerty07- Run 100 miles, strength train 3x per week, stay under calories every day except Sunday
    abellone7289 (Manda)- Run three times a week, even if It's just a mile. Get down to 138 by the 30th. Accept that I can't control everything and I should take my stressors one week at a time.
    oncemorewithfeeling- get below 150 lbs (means losing bout 8 lbs), add the 30 day shred on top of my workouts, stop snacking on things like crackers just because they're low in calories, buy a bathing suit I can feel good in
    fitontherun - Complete half marathon training, run half marathon in under 2:15, drink at least 64 oz of water each day, and take time to stretch and use a foam roller on my legs after running.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    hi guys i'm back! i haven't been on MFP for quite a few months but this was always my favorite thread. i've been pretty good the last 2 weeks and working out more than i did the rest of this year.

i'm going to hawaii on the 21st of this month PLUS summer is coming around so i'm extra motivated. however, i have not seen much change on the scale which is a little disappointing. i measured myself last week and i lost inches compared to last YEAR but i will measure again later this week.

i've been back on the 30 day shred.. just went up to level 2 but it's really difficult for me! plus i only have 5lb-weights. i started a cardio barre class last week and i'm trying to go a little more regularly. it's just that LA traffic from my place to hollywood is not the business.. cardio barre incorporates ballet moves but with quick tempo.

i'll do an unselfish post soon when i'm not at work!

Allie7383- PR in my 5K on 4/22, Complete Ripped in 30, maintain low 140's, and be more positive all around!
    abby459 - Log EVERYTHING I eat this month. Watch my sodium intake. Stay under calories almost everyday (giving myself 2 days off for the month) Keep training for my 10K trail race on April 28th....goal is to be able to run the entire thing.
    Eleanoreb- Eat healthier, find healthy snacks, don't use the excuse "well i'm running so much, i can eat this" , core/ab work
    Kendib - Run 3 days a week, add in some cross training, be able to run a complete 5k.
    Bonniejo - Stop eating when I'm full, don't eat when I'm not hungry, and lose 3 pounds :)
    Meagalayne- Set a new PR in the 5K and 1/2 Marathon distances; Run on the beach at every opportunity on vacation and enjoy some good beer, live music, and great food; Finish my novel and start another; Acknowledge when I'm feeling needlessly sorry for myself and work on being positive for the sake of being positive; and finish out the month with a solid, tangible plan for both building strength/toning up and being happy in your personal life and relationship
    Alexsmith01 - Lose 1kg, cook 3 new healthy recipes, study study study for exams on 1/2 May
    Ezak86- lose 5 pounds, do HIIT sprints 3x/week and get target speed up to 11mph, cook more food at home, improve run distance to 10miles, get out an be more confident talking to strangers at the bars
    Qwerty07- Run 100 miles, strength train 3x per week, stay under calories every day except Sunday
    abellone7289 (Manda)- Run three times a week, even if It's just a mile. Get down to 138 by the 30th. Accept that I can't control everything and I should take my stressors one week at a time.
    oncemorewithfeeling- get below 150 lbs (means losing bout 8 lbs), add the 30 day shred on top of my workouts, stop snacking on things like crackers just because they're low in calories, buy a bathing suit I can feel good in
    hippiechel - workout 4 times a week and 128lbs by 21 april
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

My goals for last month were...

GreenHumanClay (Cynthia) Continue my training plan for my first 1/2 March 17th, weight train 3xs, sleep more, gave up weighing myself for Lent (not religious purposes), so no weighing-in, eat out < 3 times per week (actual challenge for a project) focus on school, and really appreciate life!

I continued my half marathon training and starting up again for these next five weeks basically the same plan but incorporating some hills at least 1-2 weekly. As far as my March goals as some of you know what happened with my half but I did train successfully about 90% and ran my 13 miles the week prior thankfully. I've struggled with sleeping thats always a tough one for me. I gave up weighing myself for lent but only lasted 15 days but have been good about it and have only weighed myself Saturdays. i have been eating out a bit more since we had several b-days but I tried to stay between 2-5 meals a week next month should be better since there is not as much going on, well there is but I will have to buckle down. I have weigh trained at least 3-4 times per week and starting too see my muscles slowly but surely develop. :wink: School has been okay finally caught up with everything.

My goals for this Month are: GreenHumanClay ( Cynthia) Continue to train for my next half on May 6th thats in SF since it will be hilly (run on hill trails), weight train at least 3 xs per week, be able to do more push ups, increase my pace per minute when running, run my next half in under 2:10, hydrate well and eat as clean as possible and weigh myself ONLY ONCE a week and continue to get better quality sleep.

GreenHumanClay ( Cynthia) Continue to train for my next half on May 6th thats in SF so it will be hilly, weight train at least 3 xs per week, be able to do more push ups, increase my pace per minute when running, hydrate well and eat as clean as possible and weigh myself ONLY ONCE a week and continue to get better quality sleep.

Meag You have done an awesome job running all those races and keeping yourself disciplined and motivated to keep registering for more races. You BTW are NOT fat at all please lady I got some junk up in here lol... great job finishing your book and starting another one. Jealous you're going on your vacation I really like that you take all these mini trips, whenever you decide to come up to my neck of the woods let me know I think you would really like the Bay Area ( Northern Ca.) Awesome sticking through your goal of not weighing in, that was my goal as well and I gave in 15 days later I was itching but I do have to say I've improved from hopping on that thing like I was getting paid lol. Are your next couple races 1/2's sorry might have missed that??

Abby I think you definitely smashed that goal and did AWESOME and as far as your 2 lb. weight gain I wouldn't stress too much I have fluctuated in weight about 3 lbs in one day but I think going back to basics and logging is a great idea sometimes we get side tracked with other goals or things in life we forget the basic stuff. I have a feeling April will be a great month! And you will for sure rock that 10K if you can do a half the 10K should be easy peasy.

El I feel you on the eating and running excuse I do that as well, I think well I ran 10 miles I will eat what I want but in reality next thing you know I racked up the calories and not all of it was even nutritious. Great job logging in 130 miles thats craziness, it sure seems like you have that marathon in the bag with all your training and coaching you will do awesome, when is it btw??

Kendid you can definitely run the whole 5k but if you need a walking break do it as long as you complete and enjoy it is all that matters!

Alexis there is definitely a large group of runners on here and all of them inspiring in there own way.. I would make my studying a priority as well sounds challenging but Im sure you can it!! As far as recipes Meag on here posts recipes pretty consistently and they look delicious.

Julie That app sounds pretty cool and different and as far as this challenge there are no weigh ins unless thats a goal you set up for yourself. I love me some chocolate good luck with that, :wink: subbing water sounds challenging I know personally I could not do it but if it's working for you awesome need some of your discipline lol.

Welcome to all the other nebbies, this thread is great and thanks to Meag for keeping it going!!

AFM I had an okay day its Monday... Finished my 6 mile trail run in under 57 minutes and had about a 9:30 pace or so pretty good considering I was on 5< hours of sleep and had nightmares from a trippy movie I saw last night called, " Martha May Marlene" something like that weird movie for sure and creepy. Plan on weight training before work tomorrow and have plans to eat free Mexican food that a client of ours gave to all of us at my work for all our hard work!! Today was National Autism Day at work so we all wore our blue shirts to represent and had a pretty busy day thankfully I have finished all my homework for the week last night, and only need to study for the Professional CPR/ first aid for April 14th and Im done with school and will only have my online class left woohooo!! Well thats it for me ladies until tomorrow have a great night and terrific Tuesday!! Cynthia! :bigsmile:
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Okay so for march my goals were : tell my job I quit! (scary but exciting). Start insanity back, keep up with the water intake, start using my planner again. Buy new clothes for Cali because I deserve it and I will have lost ssooo much weight ;)

didn't end up quiting the job, but I am in a better emotional state and have come to terms with it for now, they do know that if something better comes my way I am taking it however. I did start insanity, but I didn't finish it, I got through about 1/2 the month again. Water is getting better....the diet dr.pepper is still an evil vice though. Didn't use the planner, but got it from the dust today and making myself plan again! And yes i did have a fab shopping trip! I got some really cute clothes, and I felt really pretty and confident the whole trip. Not to be bragging betty, but I was the cutest one there ;) (or at least I felt it)

So goals for April: Realistically I don't have time right now for 6x workout, so lets shoot for a good 4 days of insanity/peer week. Knock out the diet soda, and figure out a replacement stress buster. I want to see how long I can go without going over my cals and without eating any form of fast food.

allie- Way to go for March! You did great!

Abby- sometimes getting back to the basics is what we need! Still an accomplishment for March though, keep up the hard work.

eleanor-Healthy snacks are my hardest! We should exchange snack list though, I have come up with a nice list that a rotate each week at the grocery store so I don't get board. Good job on the spinning classes!

kendib- Can't wait to hear how the 5k goes for you this weekend! Even if you can't run the whole thing, you are going out and doing it and that right there is a victory!

meag- We just missed each other in Cali! Say hello for me, I miss it already. Sorry you didn't get celebrate your run goal, but ya live and ya learn. Hopefully the next ones you have planned will be more fun and relaxing for you.

bethany- I am SSSSSOOOOO sorry I never messaged you when I was in Cali. That week got away from me faster than I wanted it too. I was working on theater the entire week from sun up to sundown. I am hoping to make another trip in the fall though to look at specific grad schools, so maybe we can shoot for then. I will actually be in the San Diego area then :)

abellone-we all have tough months, I know test and papers are the worst when it comes to trying to get into shape. Assuming you are in college too? What are you studying? Great job on logging everyday, that takes dedication and what seems like a lot of energy some days.

Welcome to all the newbies! Can't wait to get to know y'all better.

AFM: Good start to April so far. Yesterday was a bust as I flew back to Texas at like 1am, and then had to drive another 3 hours home. Today though was great eating wise! I hit my calories dead on, I am still a little hungry, but I didnt sleep well last night, so going to bed early tonight. Had a check up with the neurologist and it went okay. The abnormal spot on my brain is still there, but it hasn't changed any and other than my nocturnal panic attacks (which I have gone almost 2 weeks without one), no other symptoms, so I am cleared for the next year. I didn't spend any money today on out to eat food, and resisted the kolaches work brought for "teller appreciation week" couldn't you appreciate me without the food? I went for the fruit tray instead :)

lalonmeg000(meghan)- insanity 4 days/week, see how long I can go without going over my cals and eating fast food. find a different way to relieve stress other than diet dr.pepper
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Quick before bed post just to welcome the newcomer and welcome back some familiar faces :wink:

Cynth - Happy to see you back! :flowerforyou: Great goals and sounds like you are on the right track. Hopefully we can both make some progress with weight training this month :wink: As for "fat" - it's much more of a state of mind than an objective reality. I feel and look fat when I look at myself in my mirror most days, despite seeing pictures of myself and knowing objectively how thin and lean I am. I'm not toned, I have no abs, and I'm all loaded up with stretch marks and lose skin from my weight loss. It's hard to be body-positive most days. But it's something I am working on :ohwell: Thanks for your support chica.

chel - welcome back - long time no see, girlie! que pasa? sounds like you have lots going on in your life and a very exciting trip coming up! I am sure you'll be smoking for your beach time in Hawaii :wink: happy to have you back on the thread!

Newbs - WELCOME! :flowerforyou: and so selfishly pleased to see new running buddies on the thread! :blushing: I'm a run-a-holic and talk WAY too much about running, so if you're keen to have someone to hob-knob about running with, I'm your girl!

Looks like fitontherun got squeezed out, so I'm re-posting the full goal list. If I missed anyone please let me know.

fitontherun - Complete half marathon training, run half marathon in under 2:15, drink at least 64 oz of water each day, and take time to stretch and use a foam roller on my legs after running.
    GreenHumanClay ( Cynthia) Continue to train for my next half on May 6th thats in SF so it will be hilly, weight train at least 3 xs per week, be able to do more push ups, increase my pace per minute when running, hydrate well and eat as clean as possible and weigh myself ONLY ONCE a week and continue to get better quality sleep.
    lalonmeg000(meghan)- insanity 4 days/week, see how long I can go without going over my cals and eating fast food. find a different way to relieve stress other than diet dr.pepper

Had a very busy and longgg Monday but a happy one. Mondays are always the BEST workout days because I get to hit a wicked spin class with a buddy and ogle at CrazyCarl for an hour. Mmm hmm ! Killer burn too - that man is just nuts! The good part is that my fitness and spinning has improved dramatically in the last 6 months and he doesn't seem TOO Crazy anymore :happy: Yay for progress! I kicked some major *kitten* today in that class and my HR didn't go through the roof. NSVs are the best!

Planning a run for tomorrow evening and some healthy eats. Hope you folks have a great Tuesday. Much love :heart:

**Edit** Sorry Meg, we must have been posting at the same time. Added you to my list though!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    quick post this morning as I'm swamped at work.

My marathon is May 27th, so it is coming up!! I definitely don't have it 'in the bag' but thanks for your kind words!! It will be a huge challenge!

Meag-definitely know what you mean about the longer races. I actually feel in better shape when i'm training for shorter distances. There's a clinic here i've done a few times called "advanced 10k" where we do tuns of intervals/speed word/ hills, drills to improve form etc.. i love it. I will probably do it later in the summer after the marathon just to get my speed up again. Long distances require a different kind of endurance though, and i think it's good to be able to do both.

Meghan- yes!! lplease share your healthy snacks, i would love to hear

for today, i brought:
    hardboiled egg
    almonds (10 maybe?)
    apple and a bit of light peanut butter
    small greek yogurt (no fat liberte)

I'm trying to add protein to my snacks.

Welcome to all the newbies. Feel free to add me as a friend on here
  • mkwow
    mkwow Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Newbie to the challenge group here! My goals for April are to get into the 180's, putting me at a 55 to 60lb total loss and to actively increase my exercise levels working on the C25K and 30 day shred programs!

mkwow (Missy)- get into the 180's, putting me at a 55 to 60lb total loss and to actively increase my exercise levels working on the C25K and 30 day shred programs!
  • kendrafox
    kendrafox Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I am a newbie to this so here goes.

My goal is to workout at least 4 times a week, begin 30DS once again, stay under my calories, and drop 5lbs.

mkwow (Missy)- get into the 180's, putting me at a 55 to 60lb total loss and to actively increase my exercise levels working on the C25K and 30 day shred programs!
    kendrafox- workout at least 4 times a week, begin 30DS once again, stay under my calories, and drop 5lbs.
  • caitwinmary
    Options
    Heyyy guysss :) i am a newbie to this! But My goals for this month are keep training for my 5k so that when my first race comes on 6/2 i can run the whole thing, shred another 10lbs by the end of april, and workout hard and use ripped in 30 between runs.

caitwinmary(caitlin): keep training for my 5k so that when my first race comes on 6/2 i can run the whole thing, shred another 10lbs by the end of april, and workout hard and use ripped in 30 between runs.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Wow - You three sounds AWESOMELY inspired and motivated :bigsmile: I am so thrilled to have you all here! Please keep up with us. I am stoked with your goals. Healthy, fit, active and lots of good stuff going on! Pleasure to have you all on the thread :flowerforyou:

And this is totally unrelated, but all three of you newbs have GORGEOUS profile pics and stunning smiles :bigsmile: Always so uplifting!

El- I hear ya! It's a totally different experience, and I am so glad that I did it. No regrets training for the long haul. Those 15+ mile run really teach you about yourself. Running for 3+ hours takes GUTS girl - and a wee bit of crazy :laugh: But I wouldn't want to do it forever. Or even for 1/2 the year, really. Focusing on strength and speed these days, but who knows. I'm going to do as much racing as I can afford during the summer months on shorter distances, kick some major *kitten*, and if the mood strikes me to take it up again in the fall, I'll do that. We shall see. Right now I am just really feeling down and out about my body comp and long running isn't doing anything for gaining muscle and toning up. It just depletes all my stores and keeps my body looking both flabby and malnourished at the same time :ohwell: Not a happy camper about that one! Onwards and upwards!

AFM - Tuesday's are the WORST at work and today was no exception. Absolutely miserable. But I got home and immediately put on my running gear, hit the streets and did 4.5miles at 9:13. It was a good clip and hit very few lights. Not a bad run at all. Then I quickly washed up and made a smokin' dinner with mi madre. So tasty and very low cal. I actually have loads to eat back but tomorrow's a rest day so maybe I'll just carry some over :blushing:

We made a huge stirfry with lean pork tenderloin, onions, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, and zucchini and tossed it with a spicy peanut sauce that I cooked up. For the whole she-bang it was about 350 calories. Leaves me with a ton to eat back... Epic snack tonight for sure! :laugh: Here's the recipe for my spicy peanut stirfry sauce. So easy and super delicious...

Measure out the following into a small bowl using the tare feature on your scale:
    3Tbsp (45g) Natural PB
    2Tbsp soy sauce, low sodium
    1 1/2Tbsp rice vinegar
    1Tbsp honey
    1-2tsp sriracha

Cook your meat + veg until tender crisp. The sauce above will be thick so I usually toss it in, and add 1/4cup of water to help spread the love. Add as much water as you like to desired viscosity. Devour and enjoy.

Healthy snacks... I snack a TON on fruit, yogurt, homemade protein brownies (my recipe is posted in the forums if you're inclined), raw veggies, cottage cheese, nuts, and oatmeal when desired. Love all the suggestions. Keep em coming!

Anyway I have to run. Tomorrow's a hectic day. I'm out of the office all day visiting our facilities around the GTA and then in the evening I've got a stylist appt (FINALLY!) and then some catch up with Tyler. Hope y'all have a fabulous HUMP day. It will be the long weekend before you know it! :bigsmile:
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    julie - i heard of that app! i'm actually obsessed with zombies (but not running). let me know how that app works out for you. my biggest weakness is also chocolate and i've cut back on my chocolate consumption. the only ones i have regularly are sugar-free chocolate jello pudding. i'm not one of those people who can stop at one piece of chocolate, so i feel you!

meag - thanks for the welcome back!

mkwow - almost 50lbs gone! that is freaking amazing. keep it up!

kendrafox - i'm doing the 30DS now as well. i'm on level 2.. hopefully i'll be consistent enough to move up to level 3 for once.

el - i'm also trying to add protein to my meals without too many calories/carbs. i've started eating fish/meat again (previously vegetarian for 5 years) so maybe it might be easier. good luck training for your marathon!

also i can't even remember the last time i had a big binge episode so that's one of my accomplishments in the past 1 year.. so for anyone who has problems with binge eating and you think you can't stop. you can!!!
  • deeders1220
    deeders1220 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the group but really admire what you ladies do. I've been spying from afar here and there ever since I started MFP and have fallin off the wagon several times since... looks like I could really use a support group like this!

Letsee, my goal is to feel more comfortable rocking my bikini in Vegas at the end of the month. In order to do that, I'm setting these goals: Walk and not take the bus into my office from the parking lot (about 15 min walk each way for a total of 30mins extra walking EVERY DAY), Go to the gym/do something active 3x a week, and no fried food!

caitwinmary(caitlin): keep training for my 5k so that when my first race comes on 6/2 i can run the whole thing, shred another 10lbs by the end of april, and workout hard and use ripped in 30 between runs.
    deeders1220: Walk and not take the bus into my office from the parking lot (about 15 min walk each way for a total of 30mins extra walking EVERY DAY), Go to the gym/do something active 3x a week, and no fried food! Rock that bikini in Vegas!
  • qwerty07
    qwerty07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Today I did my first run over 14k outside for this year! Yeah! So glad the weather has finally gotten nice enough to run outside...running for over an hour on the treadmill can become tedious....
    Megalayne- Your recipe for protein brownies looks excellent...I've only recently started making protein pancakes and love them so I'm excited to try a new way to fill my protein requirements.
    Hippiechel- A year without binge eating is amazing! Any tips on how to overcome it?
    Deeders1220- Where are you headed to in Vegas? I just got back from there last Monday, and loved every minute! Can't wait to go back!
    Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Lovelies!!

March goals - GuamGrly (Bethany) - get into the 130s’s (5 pound loss), continue 5K training, try one new recipe per week, continue to up water consumption, and read one book

Actual – nowhere close to the 130’s, decided to forego 5k training for now, did pretty good with recipes when I wasn’t visiting at my mom’s house or sick, water consumption is slowly getting there, and completed my book yesterday

April goals – get into 130’s, log at least 5 days out of the week (I am not good at this and really need to up my game), continue trying new recipes, go to the gym at least 3 times per week, read one book

deeders1220: Walk and not take the bus into my office from the parking lot (about 15 min walk each way for a total of 30mins extra walking EVERY DAY), Go to the gym/do something active 3x a week, and no fried food! Rock that bikini in Vegas!
    GuamGrly (Bethany) - get into 130’s, log at least 5 days out of the week (I am not good at this and really need to up my game), continue trying new recipes, go to the gym at least 3 times per week, read one book
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Abby – I have a goal of logging this month too!! I am completely horrible at it and need to hold myself more accountable. I sent you a friend request (although I don’t know why we’re not friends yet anyways) so that we can kinda hold each other accountable also. If you want to of course!!

Meghan – No worries!! Sounds like you were super busy while you were here and I definitely wouldn’t have wanted you stressing about trying to squeeze some time in for me too!! If you decide to come to San Diego, please let me know. Meag will be out here in just a few weeks and I am looking forward to driving down there and hanging out with her. And good to hear that you were cleared for the next year!!

Meag – yesterday was a crazy day for myself and a lot of people I know. I know Mondays are usually not ideal but something was in the air yesterday. Glad that it is done and over with. I really am going to look into trying spin this month. Oh and Sunday actually works out better for me too. We ended up getting invited to a kid’s birthday party on Saturday. Now we will just have to figure out what to do. I am more than content to finding a coffee shop or bar and just hanging out for a while.

Newbies – welcome to the group!! We are so happy to have you and look forward to getting to know you better, helping you with your goals, and anything else that may arise!!

AFM…had a revelation tonight and decided to find the wagon, become the captain of the wagon, and own the wagon!!! Hahaha…I am not falling off this time!! I am back to kickboxing for now because it seems to work for me more than running. I still hope to pick up the 5K training at some point this year, finish it, and complete a race.

Quote of the day - Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
    -- Mary Kay Ash
  • deeders1220
    deeders1220 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get myself in the habit of doing more strength training, read this really great article recently that's kinda changed my outlook on it all. You should check it out! http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Today I went to the gym close to work and did 10mins running to warm up the joints and then did a bunch if upper body exercises with the big boys, so free weights, cable machines, sitted rows... Then finished the workout with abs! Had a delicious Chinese chicken salad (w/o the fried wontons as there are no fried foods for this month and light on the dressing) and am about to go to bed feeling great. One of my guiltiest pleasures is dessert... I HAVE to finish every meal with something sweet, no joke. Tonight kept it to healthy sweetness and had a bunch of raspberries instead of my usual spoonful of nutella (ultimate weakness).

I'm so envious of all you running gals! I could never keep it up, despite doing some sprint triathlons the last couple of years. I work right by the Rose Bowl which is a great place to run so I'll try to take more advantage of that.

Are there any LA area gals who would feel up to a hike sometime? There are some great places around here.

Qwerty07 - great job taking the run outdoors again! I totally agree, the treadmill always seems like such a chore for anything longer an a couple miles. It never ends! I'm going to Vegas with a couple gal pals from Seattle (where I'm from originally) and I think we're staying at the Cosmo. Very excited!! :)
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Paul and I'm going to give this a shot. I have three small, but important goals. 1) I'm going to follow my nutritionist's advice and "stop drinking my calories" 2) Get under the 400lb mark 3) try to fix more meals at home.

GuamGrly (Bethany) - get into 130’s, log at least 5 days out of the week (I am not good at this and really need to up my game), continue trying new recipes, go to the gym at least 3 times per week, read one book
    paul87920 - stop drinking my calories, get under 400lbs, and fix more meals at home.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    hey all
    super quick post. Meag when you said about your abs that got me to noticing mine- or the lack of abs these days rather. I decided I will try and do 50 crunches or situps and plank (front, weak side, stronger side, front) everyday. Does anyone want to do that with me?

I plan on doing it each morning. Started today. I only held plank for 30 seconds on each spot but i'd like to do a minute for each. I'll work up to that. Hopefully that will give my abs a tiny push in the right direction. Maybe i'll throw in some pushups too..
  • meagalayne
    Options
    I'd love to join ya El, but i know I won't stick with it. My mornings are usually rushed and I just don't have the motivation :ohwell: I really hope you stick to it though! And I'll be working on my core and other strength as I go throughout the month....

Paul - Welcome :bigsmile: Great goals! Starting small is the way to go. Behaviour modification takes time and making small changes over the long term is so much easier than drastic changes which leave you feeling deprived and miserable. Good luck!

Deeders - Sounds like you had a great session at the gym - I LOVE nerdfitness! His beginner body weight circuit was how I got started with strength training and I used to wh*re his blog out on this thread like it was my job! :laugh: Ill have to take a look at that article later. I am a huge fan of keeping things *simple* and staying out of the gym whenever possible. I tend to rely on the gym for my quick dirty workouts, but honestly getting back to basics is where it's at.

Guam - YAY for kickboxing! I saw your workout post and was like "HECK YES! GUAM IS BACK, BABY!" :laugh: Sunday sounds great. I'll talk to Tyler about it and we'll work something out. Before I leave I'll send you a message with my cell # so we can coordinate. I'll be staying about 2km from the beach in Point Loma, but would love to check out any neat coffee spot. You name it and we'll figure something out. Any suggestions?

Qwerty - Nice long run, lady! 14km is faaaabulous and getting back outside and off the TM - WIN! I cannot run on the TM for any more than an hour without getting suicidal... Outdoor runs are just so much better! Glad you enjoyed it! :bigsmile:

I've got a very busy day today so I'll be MIA until at least tomorrow afternoon/evening. Enjoy your Wednesdays my loves! :heart:
  • cklei
    cklei Posts: 29
    Options
    Ok I am a newbie here :) My goal this month is to lose the majority of the weight put back on this past month due to stress which lead to poor eating habits. I wish you all luck

paul87920 - stop drinking my calories, get under 400lbs, and fix more meals at home.
    missgolightly727(Emily) - Lose 5 lbs(will put me at 155 lbs), run 3 times a week(distance doesn't matter), log everything that goes into my mouth(thatswhatshesaid), class at the gym at least once a week
    CKlei- Lose atleast 5 lbs. (will put me back down to 129), go on family walks 3 times a week, learn some new at home workouts , log everything I eat and Still breastfeed for the entire month.