Can i move to USA with my degree?

Options
I am currently in my first year of a 4 year Computer Game Development degree (Studied 2 years at college beforehand).

I would love to move to the USA but i understand it is very difficult.. Even more so for us folk from the UK. However, i do understand having a specific degree (Or specializing in a certain subject) can help obtain a Green Card/Visa.

I hear a lot of Computer Science degree's are useful for moving to the USA, how about the Computer Games Development degree?

Replies

• AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have already travelled to the US several times and i am sure this is what i want to do.

I am seeking clarification on what can/can not get me in to the US as i have read all over the internet, some saying that having a degree helps - Especially a Computer degree and some saying the only real way in is to Marry a US Citizen or Get an employer to sponsor me as people in the UK are not eligable for the Green Card Lottery.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    You can marry me. :flowerforyou:
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Check out

http://www.visajourney.com/

This site helped me a ton. I got a K1 visa and moved to the USA from Canada back in September. It is a different process than what you are after, but visajourney has all kinds of information about all the different visas. There is a forum as well. A very nice community :)
  • AndrewXB9
    Options

Haha! I realise marriage is an option but I am only a young 19 and not really looking for that quite yet! I have travelled to the US a lot and love it there compared to Scotland. :)
  • madivp
    madivp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You are funny Kaleidoscope.
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    www.visajourney.com
    it'll help
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

just do that... I know a few who have done it before!! lol

I know coming from Canada its a bot of an issue unless you already live in the US or have experience or degree etc in a field which is diffucult to find with US citizens... something like that

I believe a company can sponsor you...so maybe look for the company first?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Start shopping around for employment based in the US, and work yourself into a unique and marketable skillset so you stand out from the crowd. Many American employers are hiring from overseas now for skilled positions that are hard to find in the US.

If that's not possible, then I would consider trying to go to graduate studies here so you can make some connections and weasel your way into a job.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Basically to get a work visa your future boss has to prove that he/she cannot find a qualified U.S. citizen to fill the position. Therefore it helps to have a very specific or in demand degree and it particularly helps to have an advanced degree (beyond a BS/BA). I don't know anything about your field in particular but if you work very hard and stand out (as in, you're the best at what you do or show potential in that direction) it might be possible to get into the US with just a BA/BS.

Or maybe you should consider coming into the U.S. to get an advanced degree. Once you're here you'll have a shot at internships where you can form relationships that may lead to people vouching for you when you want to apply for positions. If nothing else you will gain a better understanding of how your field works here and whether you really want to stay. OR maybe you'll meet someone and get hitched and it will be much, much easier to get a visa/greencard.

Good luck to you either way. As you say, it is very, very difficult to get into this country.
  • Samerah12
    Options
    My friend had an internship here and loved it: https://jobs.ea.com/
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Totally illegal and exactly why those who do it for real true relationships and marriages have to go through so many hoops.
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    Tank you for the information so far. Samerah, i am not sure what exactly those qualifications are equivalent to over here in Scotland, but the only higher i can go (After doing my 4 year degree) Is to do a masters degree.

However, we have been told by the head of our course that only 2 people have ver completed the full 4 year degree, mostly because they get jobs in the UK or start their own company. I would love to start a business with my friend i met 2 years ago in college... But of course, that would not get me in to the US!
    Love the Us!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to get a job in computer science in the US. You should see if your four year program has any opportunities to "study abroad" to the US, so you would spend a semester at another school in the US taking courses and living. That'd be a great way to meet more people here and to meet some people in your field like professors and professionals. Or you could try and do a summer internship here, it's easier to get a short term visa I think. You can get student visas for short periods like that I think.

As far as I know, if you have a job in your field lined up here, then you can get a work visa. But it has to be in your field.

There are a million and a half different computer science companies especially related to gaming in the US. Go to a city like Boston, NYC, Seattle, and especially the Bay Area near San Francisco and Palo Alto California. That area is referred to as "Silicon Valley" because there are so many comp sci companies there.

It doesn't have to be a big company like EA games, there are many smaller companies like Tiny Co (http://www.tinyco.com/life-at-tinyco.php) that might be a better option. Although some small companies don't sponser work visas so you might have to immigrate yourself first.

Good luck!!
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    It's very easy to get a job in computer science in the US. You should see if your four year program has any opportunities to "study abroad" to the US, so you would spend a semester at another school in the US taking courses and living. That'd be a great way to meet more people here and to meet some people in your field like professors and professionals. Or you could try and do a summer internship here, it's easier to get a short term visa I think. You can get student visas for short periods like that I think.

As far as I know, if you have a job in your field lined up here, then you can get a work visa. But it has to be in your field.

There are a million and a half different computer science companies especially related to gaming in the US. Go to a city like Boston, NYC, Seattle, and especially the Bay Area near San Francisco and Palo Alto California. That area is referred to as "Silicon Valley" because there are so many comp sci companies there.

It doesn't have to be a big company like EA games, there are many smaller companies like Tiny Co (http://www.tinyco.com/life-at-tinyco.php) that might be a better option. Although some small companies don't sponser work visas so you might have to immigrate yourself first.

Good luck!!

Thank you!

In the US does a Computer Games degree come under Computer Science? Because here in the UK Computer Science is a whole degree in itself!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Totally illegal and exactly why those who do it for real true relationships and marriages have to go through so many hoops.
    just a stat... not like people are not ilegally walking into the city every day anyway - with NO job or education
  • Samerah12
    Options
    Tank you for the information so far. Samerah, i am not sure what exactly those qualifications are equivalent to over here in Scotland, but the only higher i can go (After doing my 4 year degree) Is to do a masters degree.

However, we have been told by the head of our course that only 2 people have ver completed the full 4 year degree, mostly because they get jobs in the UK or start their own company. I would love to start a business with my friend i met 2 years ago in college... But of course, that would not get me in to the US!
    Love the Us!

Unfortunate we couldn't just swap places. I think I'd quite like Scotland.

Think of the masters degree in the US as just an easy route into the US. Then worry about how to stay here once you're here. It's much easier to get a student visa than a work visa. Although depending on your field it may be expensive. The research sciences typically pay you a salary (I was paid $20,000 a year with health insurance to do my masters in entomology.) while you work on your masters here but I don't know if that is true for computer science.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Overrated.
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    Overrated.

Some people may think so, I love the US.
  • AndrewXB9
    Options

Love the Us!

Unfortunate we couldn't just swap places. I think I'd quite like Scotland.

Think of the masters degree in the US as just an easy route into the US. Then worry about how to stay here once you're here. It's much easier to get a student visa than a work visa. Although depending on your field it may be expensive. The research sciences typically pay you a salary (I was paid $20,000 a year with health insurance to do my masters in entomology.) while you work on your masters here but I don't know if that is true for computer science.

The only thing is, i don't really fancy doing the masters! For the Games field, it is INSANELY difficult. As it is now, the course is very difficult and extremely time consuming.

By those qualifications that you stated earlier.. Would Bsc Games Development be under one of those stated?
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    Woops double post.