Can i move to USA with my degree?

Options

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    maybe we could just swap places. you're trying to get in, I would love to get out.
  • type1foodie
    Options
    I'm an immigration advisor. A lot of the information that has been posted has flaws, though HelloDan's information is the closest to accurate (sorry, MFP friends). Coming as a university student is the best option (F-1), but you'll have to prove that you intend to return to your home country. After you complete your studies you'll be eligible for one year of work authorization in your field (called Optional Practical Training), and from there you can hope your employer would sponsor you for H-1B status (six years possible) and from there, permanent residency (also called a green card). It's very difficult to obtain a green card, though, because you must either be a professor at a university, one of the top scientists in your field, OR you must prove that no qualified Americans or permanent residents would accept that position that you occupy (super difficult in this economy). Then again, maybe you'll fall in love along the way... but do it honest. You won't be able to live with yourself if you don't.

Computer Science/Information Technology is a really hot field right now.
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the USA, originally from Manchester, England. I naturalized as a citizen a few years ago so I hold dual citizenship for the US and the UK - so do both of my kids. I married an American I met overseas (not england) and I've been here in the states for almost 8 years now, lived all over (military).

You will find it almost impossible to immigrate here. It will be lengthy and expensive because you have no ties here. If you have family here, you have a better shot but I filed the paperwork for green cards for my parents last year and no one has heard anything yet almost 8 months later and it cost almost $2000 for both applications which could still be rejected!

Your best bet is to come here as a student, get your masters here and see if you can get a company to sponsor you once you are here for a work visa. Work visas are hard to come by and getting harder as jobs become more scarce. If you want to message me, I will answer any questions you have. Basically, as soon as we can, we would like to move out of here and go to Europe which will be a lengthy awful process that we just did for me, for my husband to join us. But, it will be worth it to us to get out of the States and back to Europe, so while I agree this is a wonderful place to live, I don't want to stay here!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    *lol* I have to laugh at some of the comments... though I'm not sure how to go about becoming a US citizen (the title intrigued me)... I do know many people that have come here to obtain a degree and then be able to stay... they have come from all over the place... such as Sri Lanka, Nigeria and Venezuela... As far as "free health care".... yeah, it's not "free" in the sense that you can just walk in and out of a clinic and get what you need done done without paying out of pocket at the moment... but I'm sure if you are working with EA or Zynga or other big game companies, then you will have access to relatively affordable and decent insurance.... and to everyone touting "free" healthcare, there is no such thing as "free" anything... someone, somewhere is paying for it... in Europe's case it's through taxes, but it's not "free"... I'm pretty sure medicine is not manufactured for free nor do doctors, surgeons and nurses just volunteer their time for the fun of it... :-/ Oh and here, as long as you know the system it's doesn't have to be too bad for the majority of things...

As far as video game production is concerned... I think there are some universities that do offer that degree specifically (as opposed to computer science) or at least have courses so they can minor in that subject... I know a girl who graduated from MIT with that degree track. I would go ahead and apply for the internships/jobs... because, I'm not really sure there is that big of a supply of computer game designers... but I'm not sure...

In any regards, good luck and (hopefully) welcome to the United States.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Tank you for the information so far. Samerah, i am not sure what exactly those qualifications are equivalent to over here in Scotland, but the only higher i can go (After doing my 4 year degree) Is to do a masters degree.

However, we have been told by the head of our course that only 2 people have ver completed the full 4 year degree, mostly because they get jobs in the UK or start their own company. I would love to start a business with my friend i met 2 years ago in college... But of course, that would not get me in to the US!
    Love the Us!

Out of curiosity, why do you love the US so much? I was fortunate enough to be born here but many people not from here hate our guts! What is it about this country you love so much?
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Definitely US not Canada? I know a few games developers in Canada with connections with the UK.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm an immigration advisor. A lot of the information that has been posted has flaws, though HelloDan's information is the closest to accurate (sorry, MFP friends).

Not meaning to be rude or confrontational, I am genuinely curious, both for my sake and for the fact I'd rather not give any wrong information here.

You say my post is the closest to accurate, suggesting there are a few bits that are wrong. Can you point out the particular bits which spring to mind, so we can clear it up?
  • 77Lily
    77Lily Posts: 3
    Options
    usa? Ph! :explode: canada is the best place to live, we have everything as Americans have + FREE medicare :drinker:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I am currently in my first year of a 4 year Computer Game Development degree (Studied 2 years at college beforehand).

I would love to move to the USA but i understand it is very difficult.. Even more so for us folk from the UK. However, i do understand having a specific degree (Or specializing in a certain subject) can help obtain a Green Card/Visa.

I hear a lot of Computer Science degree's are useful for moving to the USA, how about the Computer Games Development degree?

YES you can do it..I did with my degree, but admittedly I did another degree and post grad study after. there are a lot of criteria you need to satisfy. perhaps your employer can post you there for a long term contract? I got my US nationality not long after my degree, Notre Dame alumni are powerful people.

You could also marry a US national, or if your field of expertise is specific enough, you could apply for a job that another american citizen can't do.

There's also the green card lottery.

good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    usa? Ph! :explode: canada is the best place to live, we have everything as Americans have + FREE medicare :drinker:

less guns and crime, too!
  • karmaticgeek
    Options
    Hah, I did the exact opposite - moved from USA to UK. I'm never going back!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Haha! I realise marriage is an option but I am only a young 19 and not really looking for that quite yet! I have travelled to the US a lot and love it there compared to Scotland. :)

You know that's funny...because I would love to be there. :laugh: I know nothing about it, but best of luck my dear!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What you should do is go to Mexico and then sneak in from the south. The government looks the other way on that. It's only legal immigration that they seem to have a problem with.

LOL true dat
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Hah, I did the exact opposite - moved from USA to UK. I'm never going back!

Good for you! That's where I want to be. :smile:
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

less guns and crime, too!

but I like guns.... and what fun is life without a little crime?
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There's also the green card lottery.

Assuming he is originally from Scotland, than thats not possible. The only part of the UK that has this option is Northern Ireland.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of demand for software developers in the USA. When you say your degree is "computer game development", are you saying that you write code to develop games? If so, your skill set is valuable and you could even move on to other types of software product development even if you don't end up developing games here. I know nothing about the visa process though, so can't help you there.

as a software developer, i can agree with this.

Heres the hard truth.
    If you have a useful skill.. you can get a good job.
    The largest problem the US has, is a lot of people here have no skill. They cant build anything. They cant fix anything. They cant really DO anything.
    Its been beat into their heads that they need some degree, so they get a degree, but they still dont have any marketable skill.

If you can write software well, I guarantee you can get a job. It may not be writing games, but you can get a good job here and then look for a better one.
    Even during the worst part of this "recession", I still got at least 2 calls from headhunters a month with job offers, and often more then that.

This is the truth (as a fellow software developer)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    First off...Good for you, you can do it!

& Canada isn't real...
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about moving, hire an immigration lawyer. I doubt anyone here or on Yahoo Answers is qualified enough to give you a complete and factual rundown of the requirements and what you need to do. Trust me, it's the best way to go and worth the money. I am engage to someone from the UK and we have a daughter together and I still can't get into the UK. He tried to come visit us and the US wouldn't let him in the country. The laws are so much more strict now and you don't want to risk screwing it up.
  • AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options
    There is a lot of demand for software developers in the USA. When you say your degree is "computer game development", are you saying that you write code to develop games? If so, your skill set is valuable and you could even move on to other types of software product development even if you don't end up developing games here. I know nothing about the visa process though, so can't help you there.

Yes :)