Can i move to USA with my degree?

Options

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    What you should do is go to Mexico and then sneak in from the south. The government looks the other way on that. It's only legal immigration that they seem to have a problem with.

(This comment, completely unnecessary.)

Or do like the Chinese and pay $50,000.00 or like the Cubans and drift a sea until you find Miami.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    What you should do is go to Mexico and then sneak in from the south. The government looks the other way on that. It's only legal immigration that they seem to have a problem with.

(This comment, completely unnecessary.)

Or do like the Chinese and pay $50,000.00 or like the Cubans and drift a sea until you find Miami.

or hire Han Solo and have him smuggle you in the millenium falcon
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about moving, hire an immigration lawyer. I doubt anyone here or on Yahoo Answers is qualified enough to give you a complete and factual rundown of the requirements and what you need to do. Trust me, it's the best way to go and worth the money. I am engage to someone from the UK and we have a daughter together and I still can't get into the UK. He tried to come visit us and the US wouldn't let him in the country. The laws are so much more strict now and you don't want to risk screwing it up.

Really?
    I'm surprised, unless you have exceptional circumstances, getting a spouse visa to the UK is pretty simple. I know because my wife is American, and I have done it, no immigration lawyer was involved.

In terms of getting to the US, the same applies really, if you're just getting a straight forward employment based or family based visa personally hiring an attorney is not normally necessary. Especially if you go the company sponsorship route, as it will be the company who sorts out all the paperwork and pays for the legal costs.

If you have issues, such as previous overstays, a criminal record, you're doing something unusual (and not recommended) like adjusting status from the VWP or applying for an investment based visa, then I would use an attorney.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    There is a lot of demand for software developers in the USA. When you say your degree is "computer game development", are you saying that you write code to develop games? If so, your skill set is valuable and you could even move on to other types of software product development even if you don't end up developing games here. I know nothing about the visa process though, so can't help you there.

Yes :)

I don't want to be mean, but from your response, it seems like you're only seeing what you want to see here. I have no doubt there is demand for software engineers in the US, as I have worked in the US as one, but it's not the same if you're not from the US. Someone currently living in the US will find it much easier to get a job as software engineer than an outsider.

I'm not saying it's impossible for you at all (after all, I was able to do it!), but it's not just a case of pitching up there and working like people here have suggested. You need to have permission to work, and realistically aside from marrying a US citizen or investing a lot of money, a company is going to have to sponsor you for a visa. If they're going to do this something has to be in it for them too, otherwise why would they go to the hassle?
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    There is a lot of demand for software developers in the USA. When you say your degree is "computer game development", are you saying that you write code to develop games? If so, your skill set is valuable and you could even move on to other types of software product development even if you don't end up developing games here. I know nothing about the visa process though, so can't help you there.

I don't want to be mean, but from your response, it seems like you're only seeing what you want to see here. I have no doubt there is demand for software engineers in the US, as I have worked in the US as one, but it's not the same if you're not from the US. Someone currently living in the US will find it much easier to get a job as software engineer than an outsider.

I'm not saying it's impossible for you at all (after all, I was able to do it!), but it's not just a case of pitching up there and working like people here have suggested. You need to have permission to work, and realistically aside from marrying a US citizen or investing a lot of money, a company is going to have to sponsor you for a visa. If they're going to do this something has to be in it for them too, otherwise why would they go to the hassle?

2 of the guys I directly work with are sponsored by my company.
    Companies are willing sponsor people IF they can actually do the job well.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    MrDude_1 - Of course, I don't doubt that, I've been there, so I know companies will sponsor, but something has to be in it for them too. Out of interest the guys your company sponsored, were they fresh out of school grads, or did they have some experience and skills that attracted the company?

If they were fresh out of school, I would be surprised if they didn't know the company through internship or some other kind of of introduction, or went to a prestigious school.

When it comes to hiring a fresh grad, why would you go to the hassle of sponsorship, when you can get one who is already in the US and allowed to work?

*edited to correct a spelling mistake.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    MrDude_1 - Of course, I don't doubt that, I've been there, so I know companies will sponsor, but something has to be in it for them too. Out of interest the guys your company sponsored, were they fresh out of school grads, or did they have some experience and skills that attracted the company?

If they were fresh out of school, I would be surprised if they didn't know the company through internship or some other kind of of introduction, or went to a prestigious school.

When it comes to hiring a fresh grad, why would you go to the hassle of sponsorship, when you can get one who is already in the US and allowed to work?

*edited to correct a spelling mistake.

When they were hired, they both had experience, but not a ton.
    The key for them is simple to see. They both know what they're doing. If I walked over there right now and started talking about a project or something, they can think for themselves. They will see issues. See solutions. and we can talk through it.

of the other countless temps hired here, none could do that except one... and he now works here too.

Writing software well is a mental exercise, and not everyone has the mind for it. Its not about being exceptionally smart, its a way of thinking about problems, and solutions.. formatting it into logic, etc. I think we're lucky to have them here.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    When they were hired, they both had experience, but not a ton.
    The key for them is simple to see. They both know what they're doing. If I walked over there right now and started talking about a project or something, they can think for themselves. They will see issues. See solutions. and we can talk through it.

of the other countless temps hired here, none could do that except one... and he now works here too.

Writing software well is a mental exercise, and not everyone has the mind for it. Its not about being exceptionally smart, its a way of thinking about problems, and solutions.. formatting it into logic, etc. I think we're lucky to have them here.

Sounds like they're good hires, I work in software development too, so I know the subject area. I work developing business software though, not games.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about moving, hire an immigration lawyer. I doubt anyone here or on Yahoo Answers is qualified enough to give you a complete and factual rundown of the requirements and what you need to do. Trust me, it's the best way to go and worth the money. I am engage to someone from the UK and we have a daughter together and I still can't get into the UK. He tried to come visit us and the US wouldn't let him in the country. The laws are so much more strict now and you don't want to risk screwing it up.

Really?
    I'm surprised, unless you have exceptional circumstances, getting a spouse visa to the UK is pretty simple. I know because my wife is American, and I have done it, no immigration lawyer was involved.

In terms of getting to the US, the same applies really, if you're just getting a straight forward employment based or family based visa personally hiring an attorney is not normally necessary. Especially if you go the company sponsorship route, as it will be the company who sorts out all the paperwork and pays for the legal costs.

If you have issues, such as previous overstays, a criminal record, you're doing something unusual (and not recommended) like adjusting status from the VWP or applying for an investment based visa, then I would use an attorney.

No, we do not have any really exceptional circumstances except for the fact that I was denied my visa extension when I was a student because my student letter did not include all my financial information like it was supposed to. I don't know when you had her move to the UK, but the laws have gotten much more strict in the past couple of years.

I still believe getting professional advice is the best route to get fast results. There are plenty of ex-pat lawyers who do this kind of work for free. He doesn't seem to have a clear-cut way of moving to the USA besides his degree and an ex-pat lawyer can help him determine the best route to go. Not a lot of American companies will just sponsor someone like him unless he has a very impressive CV. Getting a visa is really not as simple as it may seem. I know a lot of people who have been unsuccessful in emigrating just because of small technicalities that could have been easily avoided if they had a little professional advice.
  • type1foodie
    Options
    Sure, Dan --- what I immediately saw was the cost. Fees for an H-1B application are $325 (application), $500 (anti-fraud), and $750 or $1500 (ACWIA), and $2000 (fee for employers with >50% H-1B or L employees). Universities pay as little as $825, with large businesses paying as much as $4,325. 10-20K would be a huge rip off, though even for 5-8K you're right... an employer may hesitate.
  • type1foodie
    Options
    Erin
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    You can marry me. :flowerforyou:

Haha! I realise marriage is an option but I am only a young 19 and not really looking for that quite yet! I have travelled to the US a lot and love it there compared to Scotland. :)

Dude, really? I wouldn't leave Scotland for America xD I enjoy free health care too much.

And 4/5 weeks holidays per year.
  • AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options

I am using my iPad and it is difficult to type a whole lot without mistakes. I am taking everything in even if I am not replying to it all.

2 of the guys I directly work with are sponsored by my company.
    Companies are willing sponsor people IF they can actually do the job well.
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    Not sure why my last post didn't work... But I did say i was on my iPad, it is difficult to type a lot without mistakes but I am taking everything in
  • HelloDan
    Options
    Sure, Dan --- what I immediately saw was the cost. Fees for an H-1B application are $325 (application), $500 (anti-fraud), and $750 or $1500 (ACWIA), and $2000 (fee for employers with >50% H-1B or L employees). Universities pay as little as $825, with large businesses paying as much as $4,325. 10-20K would be a huge rip off, though even for 5-8K you're right... an employer may hesitate.

I agree with the fees you state, for $10-20k, I was factoring in the whole package, not purely the visa costs. If I was the OP, on top of the visa, at the very least I would want the company to specify that they would apply for adjustment of status for me to get a green card (I would also specify a date for this, ideally ASAP), and I would also want relocation and repatriation (if they get rid of me) costs.

When I did it, I also asked for a few other things, but the difference was that I wasn't desperate to go to the USA, it just kind of worked out that way, so I don't think the OP could push for too much, if he is the one wanting the move.
  • karmaticgeek
    Options
    No, we do not have any really exceptional circumstances except for the fact that I was denied my visa extension when I was a student because my student letter did not include all my financial information like it was supposed to. I don't know when you had her move to the UK, but the laws have gotten much more strict in the past couple of years.

That sounds strange. I came here 8 years ago with my (ex)husband and there were no problems whatsoever. I won't deny that it's probably changed a bit in 8 years, but one of my friends married a guy from Kurdistan after knowing him only a 2 months; he got his visa in a few months. He doesn't speak any English and she didn't have a job at the time. Maybe it was a fluke? I don't know, but unless they're being incredibly pigheaded about your denial for an extension, I can't see why there would be a problem.
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    Oh, one more thing. It's now well documented the UK is pushing through laws where the Government can see all web browsing, messages and emails of everyone within the UK. I don't want to be a part of that.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing. It's now well documented the UK is pushing through laws where the Government can see all web browsing, messages and emails of everyone within the UK. I don't want to be a part of that.

Two things you need to google then:

US Patriot Act
    National Defense Authorization Act

The US has had the ability to spy on its citizens via internet in the name of "anti-terrorism" for a long time. The US also now has the right to hold American citizens in military detention indefinitely without trial.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Here are some options. Didn't read what other people had to say, so sorry if I'm repeating anything:

-grad school
    -work permit (get a one year work permit and then find a full-time job. Then have your permit extended and take the u.s. citizenship test). You don't have to have a job before you go.
    -illegally live here

You are young, will be college educated, and speak English. Shouldn't be many problems. If one of the consulates is rejecting you unfairly then try a different one if possible. It sounds like the time you were rejected it was because you did not provide all of the necessary paper work though. In my experience some people are more lenient than others (ex. smiling photo instead of not smiling) , but you MUST provide everything asked for. The first time I applied for a student visa I was in high school and they would not approve me because of something extremely minuscule.

Anyway, I'm living in my 3rd country on a student visa (I'm American) and will be in my 4th hopefully next year on another student visa. Most of my friends have studied or worked abroad. My boyfriend (asian) is in his mid/late 30's and works/studies where we live (has lived in 4 countries) and is applying to move to America next year as well (5th country). My ex (asian) became an American citizen a couple years before we met.

Good luck!
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    Here are some options. Didn't read what other people had to say, so sorry if I'm repeating anything:

-grad school
    -work permit (get a one year work permit and then find a full-time job. Then have your permit extended and take the u.s. citizenship test). You don't have to have a job before you go.
    -illegally live here

You are young, will be college educated, and speak English. Shouldn't be many problems. If one of the consulates is rejecting you unfairly then try a different one if possible. It sounds like the time you were rejected it was because you did not provide all of the necessary paper work though. In my experience some people are more lenient than others (ex. smiling photo instead of not smiling) , but you MUST provide everything asked for. The first time I applied for a student visa I was in high school and they would not approve me because of something extremely minuscule.

Anyway, I'm living in my 3rd country on a student visa (I'm American) and will be in my 4th hopefully next year on another student visa. Most of my friends have studied or worked abroad. My boyfriend (asian) is in his mid/late 30's and works/studies where we live (has lived in 4 countries) and is applying to move to America next year as well (5th country). My ex (asian) became an American citizen a couple years before we met.

Good luck!

When you say there shouldn't be any problems... Is this regarding me getting in to the US on a perms ant basis or with a different Visa? Because I don't really want to study in America when I have a place at University in Scotland.

And I think you are confused, I have never applied yet :P