Chickpeas

Options
MommyLyssa
MommyLyssa Posts: 134
I would LOVE some recipes for chick peas! We have some, and quite frankly, I can't find too many on the computer that aren't either way complicated, or I doubt my family would eat it (and we can get adventurous- the only thing the kids dont eat well is soup- so random!)

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Hubbafer
    Hubbafer Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can roast them!

Or what I do..

Open a can - drain the liquid.
    Place in a container.
    Drizzle olive oil and white vinegar (or even balsamic).
    Dice up a green onion.
    Spice how you like it.. I just sprinkle a bit of pepper and salt....

BEST is to let it sit over night in the fridge.. amazing!

YUM!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Besides the obvious hummus, they are a delicious way to add protein to just about any type of salad.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Drain liquid and put on cookie sheet turn oven to 450 sprinkle with garlic salt, chili powder (any type of dried spice you like for the flavor) dried ranch packets roast in oven for 40 mins shaking the sheet to rotate them about every 10 mins. High protien tasty on the go snack similar to flavor roasted peanuts
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Drain liquid and put on cookie sheet turn oven to 450 sprinkle with garlic salt, chili powder (any type of dried spice you like for the flavor) dried ranch packets roast in oven for 40 mins shaking the sheet to rotate them about every 10 mins. High protien tasty on the go snack similar to flavor roasted peanuts

Bump! Thanks, I love them on my salads, but never thought of this.
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

That sounds great! I'll have to try it, thanks!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My husband actually saw a Modern Marvels topic on Beans and asked me to make Falafel. I found this recipe to try: http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/falafel-687262/ We're having it Friday night.
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    bump ... love me some chickpeas!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Very simply curry.

dice onion, lightly fry in olive oil, add curry powder (or spice as you see fit), dice carrot, celery and green beans (or cut more chunky, doesn't matter) not too many though, let's say, one carrot, one celery, 50g of green beans, add these to the onions and lightly fry, add some water (enough to simmer for 20 mins), slice and add a tomato, or maybe 3 (tomato makes it taste amazing). Add chickpeas, presuming 1 can, or one cup (pre soaked over night).

Execute 20 minute simmer, serve with rice and raita mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(Good luck getting the proportions of veg to spice right, my mum always eyeballed this stuff, I've gone gung ho with the veg before and added too many, definitely detracts from the taste, should be safe with the one and one thing).
  • Jaw_g
    Jaw_g Posts: 46
    Options
    all the ideas/recipes on here sound great! i think i'll try them all LOL
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    http://under400.tumblr.com/post/3951385299/chickpea-burgers-1-carrot-medium-size-grated

Super easy chickpea burgers, I love these :) and you can add pretty much anything you want to them, its a good base
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Bump - Hoping to try the roast ones over the weekend when I'm back on the wine :drinker:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    My lazy chickpea recipe:

Open can drain, dump in bowl.
    Add fresh salsa.
    Voila, salad.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Chorizo and chickpea stew!

Adjust the quantity of chorizo depending on your calorie allowance - this following recipe serves 4, but is designed to be eaten with lentils/rice/quinoa/bread or some other side. Or if you want to bulk it up for minimum calorie increase then just another onion, tin of tomatoes and tin of chickpeas.

Spanish Chorizo ring or fresh chorizo sausage - 112g
    One large onion
    Sherry - a glug (white wine also works)
    Chickpeas - 1 tin
    Garlic - 2 cloves
    Wine - another glug, optional
    Chopped tomatoes - 1 tin
    Paprika - 1 tsp

Works out at 256 calories per serving. Though of course increases if you add more chorizo!

How to make:
    Heat a pan then throw in your chopped chorizo - the fats will start to melt out. When you have enough to lightly coat your chopped onion, add it in. When the onion has softened and the pan is nice and hot, throw in your sherry or wine and allow to reduce. Add your chopped garlic (you don't want it to burn, but you want to get the flavour in before you add the tomatoes). Now add your chickpeas, tomatoes, seasonings (paprika/salt/pepper) and wine (if using). Allow to simmer - season to taste.
  • arisher
    arisher Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do they really taste toasted? I've wanted to make these but am skeptical.
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options
    This is what I do: In a large bowl place the items in order written below
    1. 1/2 cup plain corn flakes
    2. 1/2 cup drained chickpeas
    3. 1/4 finely chopped onion
    4. 1/2 fine chopped tomato
    5. 1 tbspn fine chopped cilantro
    6. 1 finely chopped green chili (omit it if you don't like spicy food)
    7. 1 tbspn plain non-fat yogurt (add 1 tbsp water, mix it well to thin it out)
    8. pinch or 2 of salt
    9. pinch of cumin power
    10. 1 tbspn appble butter (add 1 tbspn water, mix it well to thin it out)
    11. 1 tspn ketchup

Mix it all well or just dig thru layers and eat, it tastes sooo good I can't tell you.
    You will have to eat fast if you mix it, otherwise cornflakes will start going soft on you. Or just dig thru layers and enjoy!!!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I make Chick pea salad..
    some bell peppers/ red onion/ cucumber/ roasted red peppers/ cilantro/ garlic/dill/ vinegar/oilve oil/salt & pepper
    it comes out so yummy! you could use whatever veggies you have in the fridge. everyone i gave some too loved it!
  • MommyLyssa
    MommyLyssa Posts: 134
    Options
    Yum! These look great!! Gotta get my chickpeas soaking. :)
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Try the recipe on the blog Chocolate Covered Katie for Chickpea Blondies. Its a take-off of the black bean brownie... but in my opinion its 100000x better!!! :)
  • r3d13
    r3d13 Posts: 139
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for all the ideas.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Aubergine Hummus
    This is an awesome combination of Baba Ganoush and Regular Hummus. It is fantastic as a dip, or spread on some brown bread or a wholemeal pitta with spinach and sundried tomatoes.

Aubergine Hummus
    Serves: 8

1 aubergine
    1 garlic clove
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2g cumin
    200g chickpeas, dried
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 chicken/veggie stock cube

Soak the chickpeas in water overnight
    Then cook them in the same water with the stock cube added in for 20 mins.
    Roast the aubergine until the skin is blackened. When it is cooled you can just peel off the skin and the flesh will be mostly mashable.
    Mash the aubergine with the crushed garlic, salt, cumin, lemon juice and olive oil.
    Drain the chick peas but reserve the water.
    Add the chickpeas to the aubergine mixture with a little of the reserved water and blitz with a hand blender. Add a little more water if it is too thick, but not too much.

It makes 8 large (100g) portions, but you could stretch it out further.

123 calories per serving, 3.4g F, 0.4g SF, 19.1 C, 4.1g S, 6.4g Fb, 5.6g P

Chickpea and Bulgur Salad with a Sweet Yoghurt Dressing
    Serves: 3

Bulgur
    3/4 cup bulgur (wholegrain)
    240 g chick peas
    1 cube vegetable stock
    2 cloves garlic
    2 g paprika
    2 g turmeric
    2 g basil
    1/2 onion
    3 mushrooms
    1/4 courgette
    Dressing
    100 g yoghurt, plain low fat
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    1 pinch salt
    2g garlic powder
    2 g basil
    1 tsp honey
    Salad
    2 cups lettuce
    1 carrot
    1/3 yellow pepper 1/2 red pepper
    1/2 tomato
    50 g sweetcorn

Dice the vegetables and dry fry or fry with a little water, and the herbs until golden brown.
    Boil the bulgur wheat with the chickpeas and stock cube for 15-20 minutes.
    Mix the dressing and keep in the fridge until ready.
    When the bulgur and chickpeas are done, drain them well and then pour into the frying pan with the veggies and mix well.
    Serve the salad on the bottom and cover with a serving of the bulgur mix, drizzled with some of the dressing,

310 calories per serving, 2.7g F, 0.6g SF, 62.8g C, 9.2g S, 13.2g Fb, 13.0g P

Chickpea and Spinach Curry
    Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

240 calories per serving, 7.4g F, 0.9g SF, 38.2 C, 8g S, 9.5 Fb, 9.8g P