Chickpeas

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorite chickpea recipes (from fellow MFPers)

Chili Lime Roasted Chickpeas:

http://willowbirdbaking.com/2010/09/02/snack-attack-2-chili-lime-roasted-chickpeas/

Black Bean and Chickpea Curry:

http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/curried-chickpeas-and-black-beans-low-fat-73679
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Drain liquid and put on cookie sheet turn oven to 450 sprinkle with garlic salt, chili powder (any type of dried spice you like for the flavor) dried ranch packets roast in oven for 40 mins shaking the sheet to rotate them about every 10 mins. High protien tasty on the go snack similar to flavor roasted peanuts

This is a great recipe! I love it! X
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    This is what I do: In a large bowl place the items in order written below
    1. 1/2 cup plain corn flakes
    2. 1/2 cup drained chickpeas
    3. 1/4 finely chopped onion
    4. 1/2 fine chopped tomato
    5. 1 tbspn fine chopped cilantro
    6. 1 finely chopped green chili (omit it if you don't like spicy food)
    7. 1 tbspn plain non-fat yogurt (add 1 tbsp water, mix it well to thin it out)
    8. pinch or 2 of salt
    9. pinch of cumin power
    10. 1 tbspn appble butter (add 1 tbspn water, mix it well to thin it out)
    11. 1 tspn ketchup

Mix it all well or just dig thru layers and eat, it tastes sooo good I can't tell you.
    You will have to eat fast if you mix it, otherwise cornflakes will start going soft on you. Or just dig thru layers and enjoy!!!

I am SO making this!

It sounds very similar to chaat, (Indian & Pakistani street food/snack) which I absolutely love. Only your cornflake version sounds a lot less fattening than the puri veriosn which is deep fried to make it crispy....great idea.
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    Just came here to post these - made them yesterday and YUM!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/18/chocolate-chip-blondies-and-theyre-good-for-you/

Genius Blondies

(makes 15-20 squares)

1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    heaping 1/8 tsp salt
    3/4 cup brown sugar* (See note below)
    1-2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup ground flax (20g) (see nutrition-info link below, for substitution ideas)
    1/4 cup peanut butter (or other fat source) (see nutrition-info link below, for lower-cal options)
    optional: 1/3 cup chocolate chips (Not “optional” if you’re CCK!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or tinfoil-lined) 8×8 pan. Bake for 38-40 minutes. You want the blondies to look a little undercooked when you take them out, because they’ll firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard.

Click to see the blondies’ Calories and Nutrition Info.

*I also made a batch using stevia, which I thought were delicious! But my friends informed me they tasted like bars of soap. Therefore, I’ll keep making the stevia version, but just for myself… a tray of blondies all to oneself is never a bad thing! (Edit: commenters have had success with subbing some of the sugar for stevia, with xylitol, with evaporated cane juice, with banana, etc. Please feel free to try any of the ideas people have left. But don’t be upset with me if the experiments don’t work out well. I can only vouch for the results if you make the recipe as written!)
  • tamspat
    tamspat Posts: 23
    Options
    bump
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My lazy chickpea recipe:

Open can drain, dump in bowl.
    Add fresh salsa.
    Voila, salad.

I have almost the same recipe for lazy bean salad! I add black beans and use fresh pico instead of salsa. YUMMY!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was going to add the Chocolate Covered Katie website because I had read the chickpea-blondie recipe but hadn't tried it yet... but someone already had it!

Thanks for posting this topic!
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options
    Bump! I love chickpeas!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You can roast them!

Or what I do..

Open a can - drain the liquid.
    Place in a container.
    Drizzle olive oil and white vinegar (or even balsamic).
    Dice up a green onion.
    Spice how you like it.. I just sprinkle a bit of pepper and salt....

This sounds AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing :)

BEST is to let it sit over night in the fridge.. amazing!

YUM!
  • ltmaas
    ltmaas Posts: 10
    Options
    Bump - loving this!!!
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Try then on salads or come up with a bean salad (I have a 4 bean salad I do) that fits your families tastes.
  • aefischer
    Options
    Cookie Dough Dip

1 chickpeas drained and rinsed
    1/4 c. nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter)
    1/8 tsp. baking soda
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/6 c white sugar (adjust to taste)
    1/6 c brown sugar (adjust to taste)
    2 tsp. vanilla
    Splash of milk of the mixture isn't blending up

place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and mix until smooth. Scrape out and fold in chocolate chips (about 1/2 c). This is a great snack for moms who are trying to be good and a great snack for kids! Serve with graham crackers for dipping. Tastes like cookie dough but no eggs. I originally found this recipe on chocolatecoveredkatie.com. The recipe above is a little different than hers. Check out her blog....tons of really good recipes!!
  • Sariebon
    Sariebon Posts: 52 Member
    Options
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    check out ALLTHECOOKS.COM
    The website is nice because you can enter 1 or 2 ingredients and it will make recommendations for recipe ideas.

I have a friend who likes curried chick peas so I bought a bottle of curry sauce (it wasn't spicy...just flavorful) and heated them up with the sauce. I ((( ALMOST ))) got my 13 year old to eat them... (((almost))) but she is a tough nut to crack.....

I like chick peas cold and tossed in my garden salad too. And I use hummus instead of mayo sometimes
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    All these ideas are making me crave chick peas. I love that you can now find no salt added tins in the grocery store. Will definitely be making a whole pile of these recipes!
  • shoosh413
    shoosh413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EAVA
    EAVA Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas chilli
    Ingredients
    1 can of chickpeas
    1 tablespoons olive oil,
    2 chopped onion
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon tomato paste ( or raw tomato)
    1 teaspoons chilli paprika
    1 teaspoon ground red paprika
    1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt up to taste
    1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth or 1/2 cup water

Preparation
    1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in tomato paste and ingredients (through turmeric); sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add chick peas and broth, cook for 2-5 minutes, add water and salt to your taste.

Or you could add potato, green pepper, tomato - need to be cook for 10-15 minutes longer
    until potato is cooked, then add chick peas from can

we eat it with rye bread.
  • Carrin817
    Carrin817 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I take red, green & yellow red peppers, cucumber, tomato & drained chickpeas toss them in a bowl and drizzle low fat italian dressing over it. It is a wonderful summer salad!