Chickpeas

Options

Replies

• Sharonab123
    Options
    Just came here to post these - made them yesterday and YUM!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/18/chocolate-chip-blondies-and-theyre-good-for-you/

Genius Blondies

(makes 15-20 squares)

1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    heaping 1/8 tsp salt
    3/4 cup brown sugar* (See note below)
    1-2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup ground flax (20g) (see nutrition-info link below, for substitution ideas)
    1/4 cup peanut butter (or other fat source) (see nutrition-info link below, for lower-cal options)
    optional: 1/3 cup chocolate chips (Not “optional” if you’re CCK!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or tinfoil-lined) 8×8 pan. Bake for 38-40 minutes. You want the blondies to look a little undercooked when you take them out, because they’ll firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard.

Click to see the blondies’ Calories and Nutrition Info.

*I also made a batch using stevia, which I thought were delicious! But my friends informed me they tasted like bars of soap. Therefore, I’ll keep making the stevia version, but just for myself… a tray of blondies all to oneself is never a bad thing! (Edit: commenters have had success with subbing some of the sugar for stevia, with xylitol, with evaporated cane juice, with banana, etc. Please feel free to try any of the ideas people have left. But don’t be upset with me if the experiments don’t work out well. I can only vouch for the results if you make the recipe as written!)

I made this same recipe a few weeks ago. My "IF it's healty it has to be horrible" husband came across them as they were cooling. He asked if the brownies were for a special occasion. Nope, you may help yourself to one. HE LOVED THEM! I had to hide them so I could have one. He thinks he got a special treat, no need to tell him chickpeas were the main ingredient.
  • cowsstealmythong
    cowsstealmythong Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump.
    I have about 8 cans in my cupboard and no idea what to do with them other than add to salads!
  • NickiChase
    NickiChase Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    some great ideas! Thanks for sharing
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like this smashed chickpea sandwich. (Don't leave out the roasted red pepper slice, and be sure to toast the bread!)

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/smashed-chickpea-salad/
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bumping...I love chickpeas!
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yum!!!!!!!!! thanks for all these great ideas!
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    You can roast them!

Or what I do..

Open a can - drain the liquid.
    Place in a container.
    Drizzle olive oil and white vinegar (or even balsamic).
    Dice up a green onion.
    Spice how you like it.. I just sprinkle a bit of pepper and salt....

BEST is to let it sit over night in the fridge.. amazing!

YUM!

^^^This!! I love them roasted! Also you can put them in the food processor and blend up with some garlic and olive oil. YUM!!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump....love chickpeas!
  • rmoles18
    rmoles18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump love me some chickpeas!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh!! so many great ideas....I will def. be trying some!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The Salt & Vinegar recipe for chickpeas listed on this site under "recipes" is the best I have ever made. I make them almost every night. Be careful to watch so they do not get too toasted. They can burn easily. Great snack !!
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I saw that someone had already posted a falafel recipe, but I've been using this one lately, and it's super tasty. It's baked, so not a huge amount of fat, but it doesn't taste like an adapted recipe. The first time I made it, I didn't drain the chickpeas enough and they were too wet to make into ball shapes. I just put them on a baking sheet like cookies and caked them a little longer, worked perfectly!!

http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/gluten-free-baked-falafel/

I've twice now made a recipe almost identical to this one. The only real difference is the recipe I use uses regular flour. I halve the recipe. I make 6 smallish "hamburger" shaped patties and I eat them like hamburgers on those little 120 cal Ball park hamburger buns. I like them dressed up just like hamburgers. Or just eat them plain dipped in cucumber-yogurt dressing. Yum. The recipe I use brushes oil on the outside of the patties before baking. I might try this recipe since it has no oil and see if they still crisp up! thanks for posting!

Also definitely trying the roasted chickpea technique. Thanks!
  • rsmugala
    rsmugala Posts: 35
    Options
    This is what I do, it satisfies my crunch craving for chips and the like. Love it!
  • shellrae1973
    shellrae1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • egiakatt
    egiakatt Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    BUMP CHICKPEAS!
  • Mishi1369
    Mishi1369 Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    bump
  • cheesecakechick
    cheesecakechick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    couldn't you make the corn flakes the top layer to keep them crunchy longer??