Would this make you angry?

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand when you do something that is different than what you used to do people think you are obsessive.
    So true...I've had friends imply "obsession" when I was in the hard-core mode of getting to my goal weight and it was SUPER annoying, so I know where you're coming from.

That being said, I'm sure your mom meant well...I'd say shake it off and let it go (Mom's say dumb things a lot - and as they get older, it doesn't get better!!).
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ugh.. My mum died some months ago and I really should avoid these threads... However.. she's just looking out for you, honestly. She sees your change in habits, and worries that you'll increase the exercise even more. She's not shoving food in your face or telling you it's all pointless, is she? She's your mum.. She worries. That's what they do.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I AM TOTALLY JUST GUESSING AT THIS

Is your mom heavy? Do you look like her (SIZE WISE)? Maybe you feel unsupported because your mom taught you how to feed yourself (your habits are probably her habits) and instead of encouraging you to lose weight she is keeping you where you've always been?
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but since I started on mfp most of my friends and family probably think I have become slightly obsessive.

I don't think we realize how often we talk about exercise and diet related stuff in our normal conversation.

It is especially true around people we have known for a long time, when we didn't used to talk about this kind of stuff so much.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The part about eating a little goodness is ok isn't what pokes at me. I used to be unbalanced in my diet eating way too many "brownies". The part that makes me angry is that she thinks I'm obsessive because I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week. I'm not a strict dieter. You can look at my diary and tell that. Hell, I couldn't even fill out my diary this weekend because of the mess I ate.

I just don't understand when you do something that is different than what you used to do people think you are obsessive.

It didn't sound like she said you were being obsessive, just warning that if you are worried about how bad two brownies are in an otherwise balanced diet, that you could get there. It is a fair warning, and one that many of us should probably listen to.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The part about eating a little goodness is ok isn't what pokes at me. I used to be unbalanced in my diet eating way too many "brownies". The part that makes me angry is that she thinks I'm obsessive because I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week. I'm not a strict dieter. You can look at my diary and tell that. Hell, I couldn't even fill out my diary this weekend because of the mess I ate.

well look at yourself...getting all obsessed about what seems a nice comment from someone who cares about you....chill OUT!!!
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Some of us WISH our moms would be so supportive. Trade 'ya.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think that you were upset because you wanted her to understand. And she did, but then she just stated her concern. As a mom, we worry about our kids.

So, I would just say thank you mom...don't worry, I will be good and cheat once in a while. If she thinks that you are not obsessing over what you eat or losing weight, she will be happy.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My mom told me the same thing
    actually she told me to stop worrying so much and stop dieting cuz I look great and guys like a girl with curves
    I told her I was 5'3" and 174 lbs I was clinically obese and not happy with the way I look or feel
    and she won't listen cuz she's accepted the fact that she's chubby....and thinks we all should

Oh! You know exactly how I feel. Our mothers sound like two peas in a pod. I'm not losing weight the way she is doing (WW), so I'm obsessive.

She's not disparaging you anymore than you are her, seemingly :wink:
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    No this would not make me angry. I think someone saying to me 'should you be having that?' makes me more angry. Just my personal hot button.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I would have loved to have a mother like yours.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Not sure why u'd be mad about that?
  • msradio
    msradio Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't be upset she's just being a mom she cares about you. I lost my mom in 2006 and if I could just hear her one more time she could say anything to me.
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Some of us WISH our moms would be so supportive. Trade 'ya.

Or that they were still around to nag.. Would trade for that.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're probably upset because you were just venting and trying to be funny about it and she turned it into a lecture about taking care of yourself. You'll always be her baby and she will always worry. It's her job! :smile:

Trust me, my mother drives me nuts sometimes too, especially now that the tables are turning and I seem to be worrying about her more these days.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Why do people here make posts fishing for only things they want to hear rather than the truth? :/
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    My mom tells me frequently that she is "worried about me" and doesn't "want me to get obessed with this weight loss 'thing'." It is frustrating as well.

Worry: it's just what mom's do. Maybe drop her a line once in awhile about how you had a really healthy big lunch the other day and it was so good, or that you went on a long walk and enjoyed the view so much....give her a few tidbits about how much this "weight loss thing" is IMPROVING your life and she will calm a bit. Also make sure she knows you are doing it in a healthy manner.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    maybe you're obsessing about her thinking you are obsessive. It sure sounds to me like she's just trying to look out for you in the best way she knows how .. some would kill for a mom like that. I'd let it go.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have no idea why that would make you angry. She just doesn't want you to sacrifice those little pleasures in life. She doesn't want you to make yourself unhappy in pursuit of a healthier body. Relax a little. Call your mom and invite her to lunch somewhere where the meals are really fattening. Enjoy yourself and have a good time. I think you both will feel better.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    what a lovely mum

give her a hug

^This.

She's looking out for you, and worrying about you. And she's right.. Don't stress because you ate some brownies.

^^^^^^ Both of these. I see people on here who beat themselves up because they "slip" just a little, and if I were their parent, I would probably be a little concerned. She may think you're getting too intense about it, since you are feeling guilty about eating a couple of brownies. I'm a mom. I'd probably say the same thing. :-)