Anyone eating fast-food and still loosing? :)

Options

Replies

• jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Oh I most definitely do :) I just plan ahead so I can log in whatever I'm going to eat, and plan around it. I try to not eat more than once every one or two weeks, because the sodium contents cause such bad water retention. However, I love fast food as a treat, and don't see any problem with indulging every once in a while. All work and no play makes loosing weight deadly boring.
  • Pearl0105
    Pearl0105 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It had chicken tenders (fried), fries, coleslaw and texas toast. I didnt have the toast though or the sauce that comes with it. But I still logged it as I had eaten the whole thing!

Yummers! What is Texas toast?

It was just a piece of bread (double the thickness of regular sliced white bread) slathered with butter then toasted
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I love these threads. You see person after person saying yes they eat fast food but in moderation. And you can tell by the tickers that many of us have lost significant amounts of weight.

On the other side of this most of the people I see saying "Only eat natural foods grown in your own back yard OMG processed foods are the devil" have lost around 4 pounds and give up after a month.

The best thing to do is make this a permanent change in your life. And for most of us that involves fast food from time to time. If you can't live like this you aren't going to stay like this.

Moderation baby. If you don't believe me, look at the ticker. I just had pizza for lunch.
  • Pearl0105
    Options
    *losing

Yes, moderation like previously stated and plan for it.
    I had Johnny Rockets chlii cheese fries and a cheesburger last night....don't be jealous.

I am... Chili cheese fries...mmmh! But I will try that maybe next month :tongue:
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I don't really love fast food but I still have the occasional fast food salad (grilled chicken and whatever low fat dressing) if I"m really in a pinch. Unfortunately, I'm at a long-lasting set point for my body and am trying to get off the last 10-15 pounds, so I can't have the "real" stuff (burgers, fries) any more. Even if I stay within my daily calorie allotment, I'm finding now that at the end of the fat-loss road for me food quality matters SOOOO much.
  • Majackanania
    Options
    I haven't had fast food in a while. But when I do, I either order a half of a salad from Wendys, or one hamberger from McDonalds with water. But mind you, this is not often.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I don't have fast food nearly as often as I used to (however I do have a Tim Hortons bagel a few times a week when on lunch with a friend at work). I used to eat a lot of Wendy's, Burger King, Pizza etc.

Now if we go out it's usually for pitas or we go to Subway. We occasionally have Pizza or a trip to Wendy's, Burger King etc. I try to limit those to once a week tops if possible. Subway I don't mind as much eating more as it's a healthier option. I do allow myself to go out to eat but it's usually for special occasions.

I won't deny myself these things... I will eat them in moderation. If we go to say Wendy's I will get the kids meal (same with other fast food places) or I will have the regular meal and just exercise a bit harder and drink more water the day of and the day after. I can't deny myself things because I know I will binge.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I love these threads. You see person after person saying yes they eat fast food but in moderation. And you can tell by the tickers that many of us have lost significant amounts of weight.

On the other side of this most of the people I see saying "Only eat natural foods grown in your own back yard OMG processed foods are the devil" have lost around 4 pounds and give up after a month.

The best thing to do is make this a permanent change in your life. And for most of us that involves fast food from time to time. If you can't live like this you aren't going to stay like this.

Moderation baby. If you don't believe me, look at the ticker. I just had pizza for lunch.

Eh, maybe they started their MFP tickers late in their journey! My ticker says I've only lost two pounds but, 1) my ticker is broken and seems to only move every few weigh-ins, and 2) I started MFP after losing over 50 lbs and getting into the healthy weight range.

I surmise that may be the case for some people who advise a super-clean diet -- when you get very close to the end, food quality seems to matter a lot more, at least for me personally.
  • rewdy
    rewdy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Two things that have made eating out VERY DOABLE for me:

1.) Planning
    2.) Portion control

Before I go to eat someplace, I look up their nutrition info as best as I can online. You can pick what you're going to order before you go and hopefully make a better decision.

The second thing is watch your portions. Most restaurants give you approximately double what you should eat at one sitting. I ask for a to go box at the very beginning and split my food before I start eating. This helps me to not over eat and it (incidentally) saves a bit of money because I get two meals out of my order.

Just be creative but still disciplined and you can make it work!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i do, just not every day and i make healthier choices the rest of my diary to make up for it, just be sure to drink plenty of water as fast food is very high in sodium!

I will usually have KFC or subway once a week, plus takeaway (usually indian or chinese) on a saturday, but most times i make it 'healthier' - beans or corn intead of fries at KFC, no cookie with my sandwich at subway, rice OR naan with my curry etc. On days when nothing but the full fat everything included version will do, ill eat lighter for lunch, or go over my calories and do some extra exercise to earn the cals :-)
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Two things that have made eating out VERY DOABLE for me:

1.) Planning
    2.) Portion control

Before I go to eat someplace, I look up their nutrition info as best as I can online. You can pick what you're going to order before you go and hopefully make a better decision.

The second thing is watch your portions. Most restaurants give you approximately double what you should eat at one sitting. I ask for a to go box at the very beginning and split my food before I start eating. This helps me to not over eat and it (incidentally) saves a bit of money because I get two meals out of my order.

Just be creative but still disciplined and you can make it work!

I eat out a lot too with few problems -- the nicer the restaurant, the easier this is :) I think the OP was asking ore about people eating the "bad" stuff from fast food places specifically.

Interestingly, though, the restaurants with nutrition info posted online are almost always chains, which most often have the unhealthiest choices. Independent places won't have the nutritional info but you are more likely to be able to get a nice piece of fish, chicken, etc. with some real vegetables -- I just specify how I want it cooked and enter the rough equivalent here.
  • msartishia
    msartishia Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do. I try not to do it more than once a week. I will eat McDonalds or chiptole.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Always. Though I eat out less now. =( I miss it...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Eh, maybe they started their MFP tickers late in their journey! My ticker says I've only lost two pounds but, 1) my ticker is broken and seems to only move every few weigh-ins, and 2) I started MFP after losing over 50 lbs and getting into the healthy weight range.

I surmise that may be the case for some people who advise a super-clean diet -- when you get very close to the end, food quality seems to matter a lot more, at least for me personally.

Honestly, it can work either way. It is what works best for the individual in the end. Some people can't eat clean. They don't have the time, or the money, or the desire to eat those type of foods. For some people, eating clean might result in the individual abandoning their program all together.
  • Majackanania
    Options
    Texas toast is the kind of bread people use to make French Toast. Highish calories though be carful! :ohwell: :smile:
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I eat out more than I like to; usually because I am so busy on the go two kids to contend with. I try very much to eat in moderation (ie I adore swiss mushroom burgers, so I might give up a morning meal and take a protien shake, or eat about half of the third pounder an no fries). I am actually saving money too, by only ordering what I will eat, instead of saying make it a meal. :happy: I have also learned to weigh the pro and cons of what I am going to eat thanks to mfp; if what I am craving is 50 cal more then I will get it instead of binging later. Also, for those weeks I know I literally wont be home from am to pm, I use dietpoint which has a fast food diet plan, so I can at least remain health conscience.

I should be getting my FitBit any day now too, which will allow for more "accurate" calorie adjustments!

PS--the more seasoned a food is the less it takes to fill you bc the pleasure center in your brain is satisfied quicker!:wink:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fast food as much as I used to, but I do still eat it. Before I got serious about losing weight and found MFP, we had fast-food probably at least 5 times per week, and it was burgers and fries or breaded fried chicken sandwiches and fries, often with a milkshake. Now if I hit the drive-thru I normally get grilled chicken (either on a sandwich with no mayo or a salad with a light dressing), no fries, no milkshake. Chick-Fil-A also has some grilled chicken nuggets now that I've been meaning to try. You can even still get the burgers and fries IF you can work it into your calories for the day - the reason that I avoid them is that the calories add up so much faster and I don't tend to eat a lot of calories in one meal, I spread my calories out during the day into smaller meals and several snacks, so for me having one big huge calorie meal really messes with my planning for the rest of the day (unless I'm doing a planned high-calorie day, in which case GAME ON!). Anyway now we only pick up fast food maybe once or twice a week, although on weekends when we travel 'back home' to see family, we usually have to stop once or twice on the way there and on the way back for meals, it's a 5 hour drive. Plus sometimes our meals are fast-food while we're there visiting family. So yeah the fast food adds up quickly on those weekend trips 'back home' but I always have my iPad in-hand, ready to make the best choices I can from nutritional info online. :-)
  • Pearl0105
    Options
    Thanks guys! Am glad I can still eat fast-food once in a while. I never really had a problem with my weight but that was until I had my daughter 14 months ago. From then everything went downhill. I even had the Dr check and see if I had any underlying 'medical' issues and he stated nope! LOL! (eat in moderation is what he told me) But my real life friends always frown at the thought of having fast-food hence my being here today! I just started my journey March 01, 2012 although I joined MFP back in July 2011, I just signed up and never came back until now.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    We still eat a Mcdonalds now and again, as a treat, and I always have the chicken salad wrap, but its my favourite anyway, so I am not missing out, I also have coke zero as it has less calories than diet coke and I have only a small portion of fries, I do log it and allow for it in my day, I also had a pizza the other day, but I had to work to earn it lol
  • bjeanlynn
    bjeanlynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need to order stuff not fried.....Lupes is good mexican food; order the grilled chicken,guacamole salad and grilled vegetables all in light oil or butter they will comply if you request at any restaurant