Anyone eating fast-food and still loosing? :)

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    If eating clean works for you go forth and enjoy. But anyone who's smart knows it's not the only way. I have Subway to thank for more than a few of these lost pounds.

Hopefully, you don't get the Chicken Teriyaki sandwich. It has 1000mg of sodium.

I often do.
  • NancyFancyboy
    Options
    I love these threads. You see person after person saying yes they eat fast food but in moderation. And you can tell by the tickers that many of us have lost significant amounts of weight.

On the other side of this most of the people I see saying "Only eat natural foods grown in your own back yard OMG processed foods are the devil" have lost around 4 pounds and give up after a month.

The best thing to do is make this a permanent change in your life. And for most of us that involves fast food from time to time. If you can't live like this you aren't going to stay like this.

Way to go on the 83 lb. loss! That's awesome!

Moderation baby. If you don't believe me, look at the ticker. I just had pizza for lunch.

Eh, maybe they started their MFP tickers late in their journey! My ticker says I've only lost two pounds but, 1) my ticker is broken and seems to only move every few weigh-ins, and 2) I started MFP after losing over 50 lbs and getting into the healthy weight range.

I surmise that may be the case for some people who advise a super-clean diet -- when you get very close to the end, food quality seems to matter a lot more, at least for me personally.

Honestly, it can work either way. It is what works best for the individual in the end. Some people can't eat clean. They don't have the time, or the money, or the desire to eat those type of foods. For some people, eating clean might result in the individual abandoning their program all together.
  • Pearl0105
    Pearl0105 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am eating some fast food every now and then and still LOSING weight. LOSING. Not LOOSING.

Anyways yes the entire McDonald's nutrition facts are online. I will have their coffee or their oatmeal (290 calories) or parfait (160 calories) and sometimes one of their classic chicken sandwiches (510 calories). I don't like the options at other fast food places because the nutrition facts are harder to find and usually end up ridiculously high calorie. Not like McD's doesn't have some ridiculously high calorie stuff too. But they have a few things that are good.

Yeah I noticed after I had posted and couldnt go back to edit it!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it can work either way. It is what works best for the individual in the end. Some people can't eat clean. They don't have the time, or the money, or the desire to eat those type of foods. For some people, eating clean might result in the individual abandoning their program all together.

Thanks Whit. Honestly it's the only reason I say it. I hate to see a new person trying to figure out how to lose weight get harrassed by someone on a crusade. They start to think that if they eat two brownies they've ruined their progress forever. They end up abandoning their diets all together because they tried to be too strict with themselves, and they never had to be in the first place.

If eating clean works for you go forth and enjoy. But anyone who's smart knows it's not the only way. I have Subway to thank for more than a few of these lost pounds.

Hopefully, you don't get the Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki sandwich. It has 1000mg of sodium.
    http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx

The water retention effects of sodium can be countered with potassium. A 16-oz glass of Trop50 Orange Juice (100 cals) is just about enough potassium to counter the effects of that sandwich. No water weight gain required.
  • Pearl0105
    Pearl0105 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Thanks Whit. Honestly it's the only reason I say it. I hate to see a new person trying to figure out how to lose weight get harrassed by someone on a crusade. They start to think that if they eat two brownies they've ruined their progress forever. They end up abandoning their diets all together because they tried to be too strict with themselves, and they never had to be in the first place.

Hopefully, you don't get the Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki sandwich. It has 1000mg of sodium.

The water retention effects of sodium can be countered with potassium. A 16-oz glass of Trop50 Orange Juice (100 cals) is just about enough potassium to counter the effects of that sandwich. No water weight gain required.

Really? I never knew this! What if I took potassium vitamins would they have the same effect?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

As long as you're aware of the fact that you've just replaced the sodium with 20g of sugar.
    (and no I'm not touching the "omg sugar is aids" hype)
  • ericsperling
    Options
    Not sure if this counts but I eat girl scout cookies for breakfast every morning and I'm losing 1 pound a week.

Breakfast:
    4 Girl Scout Peanut Butter Sandwich cookies = 214 cal
    1 Polly-o-String Cheese (80 cal/stick) or Aldi Ham (30cal/slice) or Oscar Meyer Turkey Bacon (15cal/slice)

It's important to eat protein with the cookies. Otherwise, it's just empty calories and will not fill you up. Also, drink water after every bite.

Fast Food Advice
    Wendy's:
    1 Baked potato with no sour cream or butter = 270 cal
    1 small chili = 220 cal
    Chop up the potato and dump the chili in. It's delicious, filling and low cal. If you must choose between butter and sour cream, pick the sour cream.

Taco Bell:
    1 Crunchy Taco = 170
    1 Bean Burrito = 370
    1 Pintos n Cheese 180
    1 Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes 290
    Choose from the above list. I'm not fond of the fresca offerings because they only reduce total cals by 10-30.

Everywhere Else:
    Try grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo. Avoid a second slice of pizza. Don't ever eat noodles. 6 pieces of sushi = 300 cals.
  • catwomanclaws
    catwomanclaws Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love Zaxby's buffalo fingers....but if I get them, I just order the plate of 5 with no sides and drink either water or diet soda. I also have them give me a packet of light ranch instead of the regular ranch that goes with it. It is ok to do the fast food now and then, just be smart when you do. Try to avoid the fries!!
  • eileen78
    eileen78 Posts: 10
    Options
    thats awesome !! good for you !!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

As long as you're aware of the fact that you've just replaced the sodium with 20g of sugar.
    (and no I'm not touching the "omg sugar is aids" hype)

Trop50 is not made with sugar. It is made with artificial sweetener (I think) which is why it is low-cal. And no one should be worried about sugar unless they are diabetic. Extra sugar has no detrimental impact to body mass.

Look I don't make this stuff up... I live it! And you aren't in any worse or better shape than I am thanks to your "clean" diet.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Really? I never knew this! What if I took potassium vitamins would they have the same effect?

You can't get potassium in those quantities over-the-counter. Only potassium prescribed to people with high blood pressure can give you enough potassium to counter a really bad sodium day. Concentrated version of fruits and vegetables like juices and tomato paste are some of your best sources for potassium in whole foods. Dried beans are another good source.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I do on ocassions.. but it's not enough to hurt my weight loss
  • Logicalpoots
    Options
    Please see the documentary "Fat Head" by Tom Naughton for more on the topic of losing weight eating ONLY fast food. Not really recommended by ANYONE( including the filmmaker/s) for long term health, but he does lose 12 pounds in 30 days eating nothing but fast food by limiting calories to about 2,000 and carbs to about 120 or less. Food for thought and pun intended. -Jeff
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Trop50 is not made with sugar. It is made with artificial sweetener (I think) which is why it is low-cal. And no one should be worried about sugar unless they are diabetic. Extra sugar has no detrimental impact to body mass.

Look I don't make this stuff up... I live it! And you aren't in any worse or better shape than I am thanks to your "clean" diet.

How do you allege what shape I am in?
    I drink orange juice once in a while. I did last night.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Please see the documentary "Fat Head" by Tom Naughton for more on the topic of losing weight eating ONLY fast food. Not really recommended by ANYONE( including the filmmaker/s) for long term health, but he does lose 12 pounds in 30 days eating nothing but fast food by limiting calories to about 2,000 and carbs to about 120 or less. Food for thought and pun intended. -Jeff

The OP didn't ask about losing weight eating ONLY fast food. The OP wanted to know if they could eat fast food and still lose weight. A balanced diet will allow you to eat what you want which was the point of my statement about countering sodium with potassium.

Please stop looking down your nose at people's lifestyle choices just because you watched a sensationalistic documentary made to enrage the public and make money.
  • secretlobster
    Options

The OP didn't ask about losing weight eating ONLY fast food. The OP wanted to know if they could eat fast food and still lose weight. A balanced diet will allow you to eat what you want which was the point of my statement about countering sodium with potassium.

Please stop looking down your nose at people's lifestyle choices just because you watched a sensationalistic documentary made to enrage the public and make money.

Or maybe he's just adding relevant information to the discussion on eating fast food and losing weight. You sure are angry!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

How do you allege what shape I am in?
    I drink orange juice once in a while. I did last night.

I am not alleging anything about your shape. My point is that a "clean" diet does not always mean healthy, and an individual can be healthy eating a "non-clean" diet. You asserted that drinking orange juice after fast food was a trade up. I countered that that particular product is not.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Or maybe he's just adding relevant information to the discussion on eating fast food and losing weight. You sure are angry!

Maybe because people should not restrict their diets or avoid certain foods simply because someone on the internet said that food was bad. I personally don't believe that any food is bad. All food has some level and quality of nutritional value. And guess what, I'm not angry. Defending my point about orange juice does not make me angry. But before you attempt to escalate me to that point, I think I will just walk away from this thread. Yet again, the "sensationalists" have denied the truth.

OP, I hope your question has been answered.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I eat out several times a week and always have. Some places are worth splurging on something higher in cals and other times I'm just eating out for convenience so I find a low cal item and go with it. Find a balance that works for you. If keeping fast food in your weekly routine is realistic for your lifestyle, stick with it. In the long run, you'll stay on track if you don't deprive yourself.
  • careyayn22
    Options
    I eat out usually two to three times a week and, yes, I do occasionally eat fast food.

I stay away from the fries (usually steal three or four from my DH) and I usually only eat half of the bun if there is one. If there are Jr sizes or smaller choices, I try to pick those. I usually stay away from hamburger most of the time and go with chicken or something else. If I have the choice (like at a sub place), I load up on extra veggies or order a pickle and peppers instead of chips (like at Jimmy Johns). I usually drink water (once in a while I don't though).

Almost every place---fast food or regular restaurant--- has healthy choices or at least OK choices that are perfectly fine included in the big picture healthier lifestyle.