I'm debating whether or not to stop counting fruits and vegg

Options

Replies

• WendyKing1974
    WendyKing1974 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone--there's some super valuable info and advice here.

I think that since I'm new to counting, the weighing and measuring of 8 carrot sticks and a kiwi at lunch, only to then "blow" my exercise calories with a paltry banana made my face hurt. I admire those of you who can demurely eat 3 strawberries and call it a day--alas, my brain can't take it! I'm coming from a place of reckless Rolo abandon--I think I need to allow myself a limitless supply of blueberries for the time being.

I'll try the fruits and veg are free route for a few weeks, and then perhaps take it back to counting just fruit. I'll certainly keep you posted:-)

If you are new to counting, I highly suggest logging everything you eat or drink, no matter what it is.

Thanks. The problem is I currently *deeply* resent being made to labor over 8 carrot sticks, knowing full well no one ever gained weight eating carrots. I feel like if I ease into it, and let myself zone out at my desk with some snap peas (where once it was gummy bears) I'll better be able to not hate the hell out of this process, as I found myself doing today with all the weighing and fretting over plant foods.

Why not divide out those snap peas/blueberries/whatever else into ziplock bags to take with you. Then, if you're zoned out at your desk mindlessly eating snap peas, you know that you're still only having a portion of it without stressing out about it. To me, I'd stress more worrying if I'd WAY overeaten on the fruits, but now I don't know because I didn't count it, lol.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The iced tea I drink (because I hate water) is 5 calories a glass. I don't count those 20-80 calories, but I also don't count sex, so I figure it's a one-off.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont log most of the veggies i eat because i eat a lot of things like plan carrot and red pepper sticks and cucumber slices. 1 cup of cucumber slices has 16 calories. logging those 16 calories isnt going to make or break my weight loss efforts.

i do the same with water. i dont log all the water i drink
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I count everything, that is being honest with myself.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    That's sort of "diet-shopping," don't you think?
    My experience from watching my wife on WW is that:
    1. Fruits and vegetables are 0 points, but at meetings they are reminded not to eat them with abandon
    2. The points are weighted in other foods so that overall calories are restricted

So, you will be able to get the best of both worlds!
    Pick a system, and stay with it. My wife does well on WW, I do well on MFP..
    But if we startedf crossing over, we would neither of us make any progress!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have said it probably doesn't matter much whether you log green vegies and tomatoes, but does matter more for most fruit and certainly for potatoes.

I've been thinking of ceasing logging of skim milk. I don't enjoy milk much and so I often really resent calories from milk, but I know I need much more calcium in my diet than I have been getting. Logging the calories is a disincentive to drinking the milk - but skim milk is the "cheapest" way to get the calcium (in terms of calories) short of calcium tablets. At my weight, it is more important to my health that I improve my calcium intake than that I keep losing weight... but I do want to lose weight, so I haven't taken that step yet and I am still logging the milk calories (and tending to avoid milk).

Perhaps you are in a similar situation with respect to vegetables in your diet?
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding veggies you like, logging them for a little bit (just so you know how many calories are in your portions) then stop logging them.

Always log fruit. There's sugar in fruit, and I've noticed that a serving of fruit is around 110 calories, give or take. It adds up fast.

I (usually) try to log everything. I don't like many veggies enough to snack on, and fruit makes me hungry. My fruit snack induced despair is solved by exercising enough so that I can "afford" an egg and cheese sandwich.

If you're going to stop logging something, drop the veggies. Alternatively, exercise more so that you can eat more fruit! :D
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I would post it for the nutritional value and not worry so much about the calories. Even eating the "worst" fruit is not going to be what undermines your success. The benefits of the fruit and veggies is far out weighed by the calories. A friend is on Jenny Craig and will eat all sorts of prepackaged cr*p but heaven forbid if she eats a strawberry. It boils down to whether you are on a "diet" or are truely modifying your lifestyle. If you want to be on a "diet" and get quick results there are all sorts restrictive ways to drive yourself crazy. In the long run I would rather feel good about what I am eating even if the scale moves a little slower. My approach to food may not give me the quickest results but they will be long lasting. In addition I have raised two daughters who have come home from school depressed because they were told if they eat too much fruit they will become fat. Thankfully, I was able to convince them to listen to their bodies and not every idiot that crosses their path. Although calories in vs calories out does effect your weight. A teaspoon of salt will show up on the scale more quickly than a bunch of bananas. Googling a list of zero calorie foods may do alot to improve your perspective as well. Good luck on your journey :D
  • BrendaBrinkerhoff
    Options
    :smile:
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, doesn't matter if they are coming from a chocolate chip cookie, a cup of broccoli, or a banana. You can't expect to accurately count calories if you knowingly don't count what should be a large part of your daily diet. If you set up your profile on MFP to lose weight and did so honestly and accurately, the calorie target the site gives you already has you at a calorie deficit compared to what you burn during an average day. Exercise calories burned in addition to your normal daily activity, are ok to be eaten back. That's the point of the net calories.
  • mamaw322
    mamaw322 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always count fruits, but do not count non starchy veggies. I am usually a little under my calorie goal so I figure it makes up for the calories a little. I didn't gain weight from eating too many veggies! Find what works for you and stick with it.
  • Lollypops44
    Lollypops44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm an old hand at weightwatchers and remember back to the original days of colours over 20 years ago. I've had moderate success over the years but never stuck to it properly until a couple of years back and then life overtook and I gained a chunk back.

regarding the veggies and fruit...salad and green veggies are neglible and I wouldnt stress to much about counting them as the more you eat the better for you, fruit - again, if its something like water melon and oranges then I wouldnt stress to much. Its the grapes and pineapple that need to be watched and I know several WW members who count their fruit.

I've done this - taken my daily and weekly point allowance and converted it into calories and I make that approx 1450. Its way easier to count calories than work out the points. If I've done major exercise (I dont count walking around work and the house etc) I add this in and use the extra cals if I need to.

I lost 4 lbs on my first week. Everyone needs to find what works for them. If I come to a stall with my weight then I'll up or down the cals and look at the exercise again.

Good luck
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    My mom does Weight Watchers, and there are no points for fruits and veggies--a sneaky trick that motivates her to eat them with abandon. She stuffs herself full of them all day, and only counts other stuff, and has lost 35 lbs just fine.

The reason I ask is because I just took a half hour walk, came back and ate a banana only to feel discouraged that I'd eaten back my exercise calories! In a stupid banana! It was more mentally draining to learn this than anything else.

No one ever got fat eating a banana. I don't intend on eating 12 bananas in a day, but I'm wondering if it's perhaps more encouraging to consider fruits and veggies "free."

It certainly gives me a sense of relief to consider doing this, and it makes me want to go eat an apple instead of throw in the towel and start downing nuts as I have a tendency to do.

What say you on this topic, MFP?

On WW, your mom is allocated a fewer number of calories each day to account for the "free" fruits and vegetables. So, for example, if WW determined she needed 1400 per day, she is only allocated 1200 per day.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think this is about somehow cheating or fooling myself, it's about being realistic about what will and won't put on weight, and how exactly things impact me emotionally.

I'd rather mindlessly nibble on blueberries while watching TV, than gorge on chips. Allowing for freedom in this one area seems to be relaxing me so far. I just ate a handful of red grapes and half an apple with this gleeful feeling of 'this is my free food, I don't have to walk 20 minutes to burn off an apple." Even though it was 55 calories. No one ever got fat eating an apple. It's more of a state of mind thing.

Just as I don't rely on the scale, I rely on the mirror and my "fighting weight" jeans to tell me if I feel and look good--I would consider my ideal diet an "eat right, don't obsess over 50 calories worth of pineapple" one. So, that being the case, maybe this will work for a while. Especially since I don't eat 89 pieces of fruit in a day, but I'd rather reach for a peach when I need a snack than a cookie.

If you are being realistic then count everything, fruits and vegetables have calories.
  • purplelilac123
    purplelilac123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did that plan for a little bit before starting this one for free. However, weight watchers would give no points for eating 2 bananas but 5 points for eating 3 chip ahoy cookies. That is the way the program keeps the calories down. I do know what you are saying though. I am getting less fruit and veggies now. If you were not going to count fruit you should set your daily food goal to a low setting to account for extra calories.
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just switched to MFP from weight watchers. I was doing weight watchers for almost six months and for the last month I was actually gaining a small amount every week and getting super frustrated. I finally sat down and did the math and it turns out that I was adding more calories than I thought by eating fruit and veg (mostly fruit) and not having it count. I also didn't like not knowing what calories I was eating because everything was in points. I think the only safe way to know what's going in and out is to keep track of the calories and do the math. I mean, you still ate the banana, right? the calories were still going into your body whether or not you put them on the diary.

With all that being said, I think it's important to try not to stress out over eating a banana. If your calories are slightly lower or higher on any given day, it's still a good day and you are still doing good work. The difference in keeping track of everything is that you know exactly where you are, you are honest with yourself (something I have to work hard at), and nothing can pile up or get away from you by accident because you are keeping track of all of it.
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I think that not counting fruit and veg might encourage you to fill up on processed foods
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian, if I didn't count the fruit and veg I'd be in trouble :laugh:
  • redrobin32
    redrobin32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I only count bananas. I do not log most other low calorie fruits and veggies.