Ok. So I've never done a dating site. POF experience after 1

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Met some crazies on POF a few years ago! But good luck.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    POF seems to be a hookup site in my opinion, I had no success on Eharmony. I met current GF on Match 2 years ago.
    You have to weed through a lot to find a good match anywhere you go.

Yeah. It looks like a ton of work.
  • Banks01
    Options
    A friend HERE is having fun there and reccomended/suggested/encouraged me to go look

I've always shied away from dating sites, just not my thing.

And now I've got 15 or so "wants to meets" people yet NONE are ones I want to meet.

Anyone had success there? I'm doubting this is an effective way.

Why don't you want to meet them?

Not a match? Infer what you'd like. It's up to 21 now. There's apparently a bunch around here
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    lol!!! most dating sites operate the same way. and there will always be those who want too much too fast! I met one gentleman on POF and we still keep in touch. He moved to MO. He is in the army. With sooooo many fish in the sea, why is it sooo hard to be caught by one that you desire also? lol!!! being a teacher in an elementary school makes it hard to 'date' people you meet in person. and being a mom ... lol!!! I just have to rely on God! :) that's the only thing I can do! :D
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The only dating site I've done is WoW.

Love this!

Maybe I need to go to Friday night Magic The Gathering as a dating place...
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Dating sites depress me. I had 2 dates from OKCupid after being on there for several months. Sent messages to a ton of guys, those two were the only ones to respond back.

Gave up, deleted my profile out of depression and frustration, and a couple weeks later met my now bf on LotRO. Go with the MMOs like me and Kapeluza. I've had much better luck with that ;)
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A friend HERE is having fun there and reccomended/suggested/encouraged me to go look

And now I've got 15 or so "wants to meets" people yet NONE are ones I want to meet.

Not a match? Infer what you'd like. It's up to 21 now. There's apparently a bunch around here

Expect a lot more to come. That feature is the bored way of saying "you look attractive, sure i'd meet you" without having to actually click on their profile and read their information to do so.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I don't think I'd find someone via POF or something similar. I'm more of a grocery store/local pub guy

LOL - I met Husband #1 when I worked at a grocery store (I was a check-out girl, I checked him out...) Met Husband #2 at a bar...

Not sure where I will meet the future Mr. Could He Be The One?? - Maybe on MFP.....
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I meet a bunch of creepers, 3 mend who ended up being great friends. A couple of guys who were great just not what I was looking for, had quite a few great dates. And I met the most wonderful man ever who is cooking me dinner right now, and we are planning on building a life together.

Remember, it's called plenty of fish, don't beafraid to throw them back in a heart beat. Be safe, always meet in public the first few times. Fallow old school dating rules, if they aren't playing they will put out the effort, and you're worth it! And have fun!
  • ashlee2012
    Options
    I have never used a dating site and ended up actually dating someone I found there. That being said, I have plenty of friends who have. My general rule of thumb for dating sites (and their effectiveness...) is pretty much the same for most things: you get what you pay for. I joined Plenty of Fish in college, and definitely found nothing but very, very creepy booty calls. Some friends I know have tried other free ones with very little luck. Every success story I know is from a paid membership through either Match.com or eHarmony.com. I think that individuals who are spending their money on a service are far more likely to take it more seriously and look for a meaningful relationship versus a booty call or just trying to pick up someone "hot."
  • Banks01
    Options

I don't think I'd find someone via POF or something similar. I'm more of a grocery store/local pub guy

LOL - I met Husband #1 when I worked at a grocery store (I was a check-out girl, I checked him out...) Met Husband #2 at a bar...

Not sure where I will meet the future Mr. Could He Be The One?? - Maybe on MFP.....

Well i did date someone I met here for 4 months. Hmmm.
  • Banks01
    Options

Expect a lot more to come. That feature is the bored way of saying "you look attractive, sure i'd meet you" without having to actually click on their profile and read their information to do so.

25. Hmm
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Christ, I did okcupid for about a month and it was full of creepers. I made about two actual friends, but hundreds and hundreds of creepers and not one date. Grim.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Well I heard MFP is like a dating site. For some that is. I mean I know I like to send people pics of my genitals. How about you?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

so maybe there's something in your profile description that's attracting the wrong type of women.. or you are are incredibly picky or your profile makes you sound like a younger version of the dos equis guy.

with that said, i was on POF for like 12 hours and then i was horrified at the responses that i ended up deleting my account. booty calls galore.

OKC is going OK. i just recently joined a few weeks ago and have gone on a date with one guy who seems promising.
    i dont get a lot of booty calls on there because i've set my preferences to not allow anyone who has "casual encounter" as something they are looking for even show up in my inbox. but i have had some weird responses :laugh:
  • Helenacabral1
    Options
    Never been on but Lots of my friends have!!Go on a better site...lots of crazys!!:wink:
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I met my current SO on Match.com. I signed up for the 3 month plan. The first month I talked to several interesting guys but they didn't seem quite right for me so I never met up with them. I found my SO during the second month, and he was the first and only person I ever dated. We hit it off perfectly and have been together for over a year now. He's ready to pop the question, but he wants it to be a surprise which is driving me bonkers, lol!

Match.com - loved it. I really like the search feature so you have a good chance of finding who you're looking for. It's fee based but worth it. It's also very popular so there are tons of members.

Plenty of Fish - I was there for 10 minutes and deleted my account. Guys were coming on to me before I even had a picture up. And not in a good way. I think with free sites, you get what you pay for.

Harmony - Didn't try this one. I didn't like the idea of them choosing for me.
  • Banks01
    Options

so maybe there's something in your profile description that's attracting the wrong type of women.. or you are are incredibly picky or your profile makes you sound like a younger version of the dos equis guy.

with that said, i was on POF for like 12 hours and then i was horrified at the responses that i ended up deleting my account. booty calls galore.

OKC is going OK. i just recently joined a few weeks ago and have gone on a date with one guy who seems promising.
    i dont get a lot of booty calls on there because i've set my preferences to not allow anyone who has "casual encounter" as something they are looking for even show up in my inbox. but i have had some weird responses :laugh:

Hmm it's pretty basic. Email me and I'll tell you my name there. Actually, I have some of the same pics there as here.
  • hawk1jen
    hawk1jen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    UGH.....totally bad experience with a total scammer through OK Cupid..... took myself off there and will stick to the traditional way. If it happens, it happens.... in the meantime it's all about me!!! Getting healthy and taking care of myself for a change!!! :smile:
  • Banks01
    Options

Well I heard MFP is like a dating site. For some that is. I mean I know I like to send people pics of my genitals. Does that count?

Always. ESP when it's bi-directional.