Ok. So I've never done a dating site. POF experience after 1

Options

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    The only dating site I've done is WoW.

Love this!

Maybe I need to go to Friday night Magic The Gathering as a dating place...

I was serious! LOL I met my husband on WoW! Well, we played together, yeah we are nerds like that but that's ok, we like it lol!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I met several great people from the internet, and newspaper personals.
    WAY before match.com. POF, AFF, Eharmony...etc

They messaged/contacted me, if I liked what they said, I'd chat/IM with them for a while, then we'd progress to phone calls, and then if I sensed they weren't creepy, I suggested to meet, at MY bar, where I knew all the bartenders and bouncers, and they looked out for me.

Main thing was, I made it clear, I wasn't looking for a booty call/BF, just guy friends. That cut down on a bunch of creepers.

I wish I kept in touch with a few of the people I met, back then I was young and 'flighty'.

Just my $0.02
  • tigerbabe2
    tigerbabe2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :wink: wasn't talking about you Banks, lol only the men I had the honor of dating. I prefer Rum :drinker:
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I met my current SO on Match.com. I signed up for the 3 month plan. The first month I talked to several interesting guys but they didn't seem quite right for me so I never met up with them. I found my SO during the second month, and he was the first and only person I ever dated. We hit it off perfectly and have been together for over a year now. He's ready to pop the question, but he wants it to be a surprise which is driving me bonkers, lol!

Match.com - loved it. I really like the search feature so you have a good chance of finding who you're looking for. It's fee based but worth it. It's also very popular so there are tons of members.

Plenty of Fish - I was there for 10 minutes and deleted my account. Guys were coming on to me before I even had a picture up. And not in a good way. I think with free sites, you get what you pay for.

Harmony - Didn't try this one. I didn't like the idea of them choosing for me.

My bro tried that. Ridicule me for not trying oline dating sites

I just don't feel it's genuine.
  • misterYummy
    misterYummy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wayback in the time machine, like '97..'98 i posted a personal ad in the local "Scene" mag. went out with 4 different ladies, each one more of a FREAK then the other. a couple of them scared me to the bone, and i almost changed my number. didn't. but screened my calls for a very long time during the aftermath. can't imagine the gene pool's gotten much better out there... BUT, if thing's have been a little dry on the dating frontier WHYNOT! give yourself a little variety, a little current experience so your not such a novice if Mr. Right does cross trajectory with you and stir up the pot. Sometimes it's the people we would never think of who turn out to be our best match and the only way to breakout of our trodden circle is to try something a little arcane. Just tread slowly and limit what personal things you reveal until it feel safe! -ric
  • Banks01
    Options
    :wink: wasn't talking about you Banks, lol only the men I had the honor of dating. I prefer Rum :drinker:

The only rum I like is cashaca. I LOVE caiphrinias
  • babycakes814
    Options
    I have had bad and good experiences on online dating sites. I met a few guys on POF. The last one hooked me up with his brother and we have been together a yr and a half and planning a marriage. Meet them carefully. Stay friends for a bit. Dont give too much personal info til u know them better. Meet in person in a public place during the day. See someone not to far away so you can spend real time together..its harder to lie when you see each other alot. And take it slow. It takes the average person about 3 months to become "real".
  • tigerbabe2
    Options
    Never heard of that kind, am A Captain Morgan gal. Also enjoy White Russians, Tequila & Champagne.
  • tigerbabe2
    Options
    Never heard of that kind, am A Captain Morgan gal. Also enjoy White Russians, Tequila & Champagne.

bd6721e84a3237de0094b6a92851db54.pngCute Graphics

plz return if found, lol :tongue:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Best friend met his (now LDR) girlfriend from okcupid. He told me to make a profile but meh...
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Im on POF... and I am a damn good catch!
    I met my last BF thru POF... but I wouldn't use that a meter of whats out there.
    There are some good ones... there are bad ones... and one that are just looking for the hook up. just like anywhere.
    Some say it right in their profiles....
    There will be someone to catch your eye I am sure!

Good luck to ya!...
  • quink77
    quink77 Posts: 91
    Options
    OKCupid tells me that my ex husband and I are only a 67% match. Wish I had known that 13 years ago. :grumble:
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I Met my husband on plenty of fish!
  • Banks01
    Options
    OKCupid tells me that my ex husband and I are only a 67% match. Wish I had known that 13 years ago. :grumble:

Too funny.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Worked for me... But I had to kiss a lot of frogs before I met my husband - that was on match.com
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Met my wife on POF
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I used Match.com and it worked for me.
    My wife and I have been happily married for almost 10 years now.

There's a secret to being successful with online dating sites.
    HONESTY

You have to be honest in how you present yourself and be very specific about what you like and dislike in a mate.
    If you do that, you will weed out a lot of the folks that don't meet your criteria.
    Insist upon recent photos, and delete anyone that is stalling on sending a picture.

Good luck :)
  • Amor1516
    Amor1516 Posts: 19
    Options
    I had no luck with POF - just a lot of unwanted contact from creepers. Ended up on Match.com for 2 mos...A handful of dead end dates later and I finally my now b/f of going on 9 mos! I feel like paying helped weed out the creepiest of the creepy. Not foolproof, but helped some.
    :wink:
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    POF has a reputation for being a hookup site. I didn't meet anyone worthwhile on there. I had much better luck with Match.com. Nothing that worked out long term, but I did meet a number of nice guys in a pretty short amount of time. I also tried eHarmony, but I had zero interest in anyone they tried to pair me with, including my ex-boyfriend who had told me that he wanted to be with me again, but just needed time "to remember how to breathe" after his recent breakup, and that he wasn't ready to date yet. Oops. Guess he forgot that when he signed up for eHarmony. Lol. It all worked out for the best in the long run. :glasses:
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    A friend HERE is having fun there and reccomended/suggested/encouraged me to go look

I've always shied away from dating sites, just not my thing.

And now I've got 15 or so "wants to meets" people yet NONE are ones I want to meet.

Anyone had success there? I'm doubting this is an effective way.

First off, I met my wife on Match.com. It's true that there are a lot of *kitten* on there that you have to weed through to find anyone of any quality.

Second, I'm SHOCKED that you can't find someone that you want to meet on your first day.

Third, yes, you have to put some work in. God forbid you actually put forth some effort to get a reward worth having. Of course, if you are just going to mess it up anyway, then by all means, save yourself the work.

And fourth, it's probably good that you are moving on to another dating site since MFP doesn't appear to be working for you.