Pancakes...how do you eat them?

Options
We're having pancakes for dinner tonight (we love breakfast for dinner...) and I'm looking for an alternative to maple syrup for a topping. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When we don't have syrup we put either butter and powdered sugar or apple sauce. However, this past weekend I ran out of gluten free bread, but I had some left over gf pancakes (I make mine about the size of the palm of my hand or less) so I made a pancake sandwich with 2 eggs, cheese, and bacon (I was going on a long bike ride and didn't know when I'd get a chance to eat again).

PS - I love breakfast for dinner and do it about 2x per month
  • sassy_sparkles
    Options
    Put some fresh blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries in your pancakes when you cook them. Bananas work too. Top with 1 tablespoon of light whipped cream. SO good. It tastes like dessert and you totally don't even need syrup.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    walden farms makes a calorie free maple syrup. It's very good but I am sure there are zero natural ingredients, if you do not eat processed foods it would not be for you.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Butterworth's makes a good sugar-free syrup. Also, topping with fruit is good. My son loves just whipped cream on his, and if you don't go overboard, that would be okay.

We eat pancakes often for breakfast, so when I make them I put a scoop of whey protein powder in to make them a bit more nutritious. This also gives them a nice slightly sweet vanilla flavor. They often don't need much syrup after that! (sometimes I put a few chocolate chips in the batter as well).

Of course, watch your portions--can't have 7 or 8 like you want. . . . .
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    lite margarine and a little sugar.... eat it like a roll up.

peanut butter, bananas and honey

chocolate chips in them.. nothing on top

fresh fruit puree (I LOVE strawberry on pancakes
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Fresh Fruit & homemade whipped cream.
    Honey.
    Powered Suger & Cinn.

Enjoy!! We love breakfast for dinner in our house too!!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I will only eat them with butter and real maple syrup , dh adds peanutbutter.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    apple butter is good on them
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I usually warm up some frozen berries in a pan for 3-5mins until some of them turn into a syrup and put those on my pancakes.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Mostly eaten in my dreams
  • tinkerpuppet
    tinkerpuppet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I really don't like syrup (maple or table) at all. I'll use a little strawberry jam on top, or my favourite is to thaw out some frozen strawberries as topping. As the strawberries thaw, they make a bit of their own juice which is nice to pour over the pancakes. I do add about a 1/2tsp of sugar to a cup of frozen strawberries as they're warming up, but I figure when I compare that to syrup, I'm still better off. Same with frozen blueberries.
  • healthychx
    healthychx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Had pancakes this weekend and decided to forego the extra calories. While hubby had margarine and sugar free syrup, I mixed a tsp. of honey into 2T of lowfat greek yogurt and added some blackberries (any berry I had would have worked) and kept it on the side. I dipped my very plain pancake into the yogurt berry and it was great! Traded 120 useless calories for about 35 calories with nutritional value.
  • OKmac3
    OKmac3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I eat my pancakes one bite at a time.

But to answer what I put on them....I use homemade apple butter on my pancakes! I will never go back to maple syrup.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I eat mine either plain, with lemon & sugar, with just sugar or with choc chips.... i prefer plain though :)
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Butter!!! Lots and lots of Butter, whipped cream and butter and warm syrup of any flavor!!!
    Obviously this might be a little high on the calorie side but hey it's PANCAKES:bigsmile:
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I put peanut butter on them! amazing if you get it on there and it melts....yummmmy
  • stephensmith0929
    Options
    With a knife and fork?
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Lemon and Sugar..... NOM NOM!