Half Marathon runners....

Options
12346»

Replies

• amusco_rn
    amusco_rn Posts: 32
    Options
    My very 1st half I ran in 2:26 with essentially no training (had run my 1st 10K about 3 weeks before and only made it up to 9 miles as my longest run before the half).

In February, I ran my 7th 1/2 and finished in 2:13
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Completed my second one on Saturday with a time of 1:38:42!
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    What was your finish time on your first half? I'm running my first in about 4-5 weeks and I was wondering if I'm headed in the right direction. I ran a 9 mile today in 1:51.
    I'm also coming off of a back injury that was about 3.5 months ago from a car accident.

I would say you are going to be in good company when crossing the finish line. If the race you are running is a qualifier for the NYC Half all the medals will be 1:40:00 or faster but most finishers will be between 2:30:00 and 3:00:00. You said 1:51:00 for 9 miles so if you can keep that pace for the last 4 you should be around 2:45:00 plus or minus a few minutes. Very respectable if you ask me. Please post back and let us know how you did. Planning to run my first half in Jan, the Walt Disney World Half in Orlando.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My first half is this Saturday and I have a bad case of nervous anxiety.... My so-called "friend" talked me into signing up.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My first one I finished in about 2:35 or so. The last 2 I did in a little closer to 2:30...still not super impressive or anything, but I don't really care about the time as long as I finish and don't have to walk :)

Hopefully I can work on that time a bit more in the next 6 months or so since race season here is just about over, and get a bit better time for my next one :)
  • runwithitwerewinning
    runwithitwerewinning Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My first (and at this point only) 1/2 I finished in 2:22, 8 minutes faster than my goal.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I finished my first in 2:10:11, but times are very much an individual thing. Finishing your first one is all that is important. That is enough of a victory right there. Then you can strive to do better in the next one, but please don't compare your expectations to anyone elses.

This!!!!
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329
    Options
    I just completed my first half about 3 weeks ago. My time was 2:53 but overall I was and still am extremely proud that I did it. Consider it a huge accomplishment once you finish. You are doing this for yourself, time should be the least of your worries, enjoy the expereince. Good luck!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Trying to decide if I can run my first on the 28th I have 3 more days to sign up. Not sure I can do it. My longest runs are only at about 7.5 miles
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    2:43 flat was my first. Have run 3 1/2s and a full since. I have to say- as hard as it is- don't try to get a time in your head. SO MANY THINGS change how fast you are able to run that day it's crazy. For example- my first two 1/2s all had massive hills in them, so I was extremely excited to run my 3rd- in Florida at Disney World- aka FLAT. I thought I was going to kill my previous times. Turns out the last 2 miles were so bogged down with people who had bonked and slowly trailing in (and blocking a rather narrow path for a running course IMO) I finished in over 3 hours. So the truth is- you just never know. (Side Note- the beer they handed to me at the end of that race was probably the best beer I've ever tasted=Worth it!! haha). Running the same race as my first 1/2 again this year (in 4 weeks) and initially I hoped to go out and try to beat it. However my knee has been feeling a little funky so I will probably walk the whole thing. Hoping to beat a 3:30 walking?! It will be a beautiful walk and I'll have an I walked the whole thing PR to beat in the future. Best of luck to you!
  • HJCsDaddy
    Options
    Trying to decide if I can run my first on the 28th I have 3 more days to sign up. Not sure I can do it. My longest runs are only at about 7.5 miles
    Do it man, if you can do 7.5, you can definitely do 13.1. Before my first, the furthest I had run was 7 miles as well, but then when I ran the half, it was a piece of cake. For this one I actually trained and cut 8 minutes off my PR. But yes, you can do it, now go and sign up!!!
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    bump, hope to run a half
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon in just under 2 hours. Best of luck to you!!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My 1st was last Sept with no training at all (farthest I ran was 7 miles prior) and I finished in 2:58 :-( I was a mess for a week afterwards and still have a black toe nail. Next time (hopefully October) I will do better!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Completed my second one on Saturday with a time of 1:38:42!

Damn! WTG! Impressive!
  • HJCsDaddy
    Options
    My 1st was last Sept with no training at all (farthest I ran was 7 miles prior) and I finished in 2:58 :-( I was a mess for a week afterwards and still have a black toe nail. Next time (hopefully October) I will do better!

Black toe nails are the mark of a runner, a badge of sorts! Wear it with pride!!!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My time was 2:43:50. I had to stop and empty my bladder along the way LOL

But since this is your first 1/2 marathon, DO NOT worry about your time!! Just finish!!

Look forward to the finish line and your medal. Then, if you decide to do another you can work on your time.

Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My first was 2:47 in 2009 and this was only my second ever race!!! My second half was 2:32 (one year after the first) and most recent was 2:27. My goal for this year is under 2:15.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have my first coming up in 2 weeks. I am shooting for 1:45. I've been running my 6 mile circuits in the 46-48 range and feel pretty comfortable so I'm hoping I can hold that for the full 13.

Good luck to you!