Pizza - The Great Debate

Options
LauraMacNCheese
LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
East Coast vs. West Coast...who has the best??

Obviously, being from the Philly area...I KNOW the East Coast has the best. My personal favorite is the Delaware-based Grotto Pizza...I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Being a transplant to the West Coast, I constantly get into debates with the people out here over which is better. So, I bring the debate to MFP.

Oh, P.S. since Chicago is EAST of the Mississippi, Chicago-style counts as "East Coast" :bigsmile:

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Since I've never eaten West Coast pizza, I have to say East.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Chicago. Midwest. 'Nuff said.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The debate is between New York and Chicago. The west coast doesn't even get a seat at the table in the great pizza debate.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I haven't travelled much. I've never been on the West Coast, but the best pizza I ever had was in Savannah, GA at a place called Spanky's on River St. I haven't been there in years, but to my understanding, it is closed now. :sad:

That being said... I guess my vote is for East Coast.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The debate is between New York and Chicago. The west coast doesn't even get a seat at the table in the great pizza debate.
    I conquer btw Chicago style wins all the time not jmo its a FACT :heart:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I want a Vinnie Pie...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    never had either Chicago or NY style pizza. :sad:

Who delivers in Indiana? Maybe since my bf lives right outside Chicago, I should convince him that I need a pizza date.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Chicago Pizza blows.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I live in the ole dirty south now, BUT Im from up north... and NY style pizza... the absolute best !!
    (except for my dads who has NO competition)
    ive gotta say though, when i lived in PA and we were on our way to OC,MD ..Grottos was on the way and that was a BIG part of our Beach tradition...sometimes we'd even go to OC in the winter just so we could get some grottos on the way , then take a cool walk on the beach...it was definitely worth the couple hour drive.
    Ive lived out west too, (in San Fran, CA) and although they have many varieties their quality never came close to NY pizza.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Chicago style. Pizza should have a similar density as a manhole cover.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Totally agree here!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    They are so different! Man, I love that thin crust NY style - baked about 45 seconds at about 700 degrees! *kitten*! now I'm hungry...

btw, I agree, West Coast pizza? NY or Chicago - that is the debate.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    I live in the ole dirty south now, BUT Im from up north... and NY style pizza... the absolute best !!
    (except for my dads who has NO competition)
    ive gotta say though, when i lived in PA and we were on our way to OC,MD ..Grottos was on the way and that was a BIG part of our Beach tradition...sometimes we'd even go to OC in the winter just so we could get some grottos on the way , then take a cool walk on the beach...it was definitely worth the couple hour drive.
    Ive lived out west too, (in San Fran, CA) and although they have many varieties their quality never came close to NY pizza.

We had a place about 20 minutes from Rehoboth Beach when I was younger...they eventually built a Grotto pizza about 5 minutes down the road from us. Best...Day...EVER from childhood.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    As long as it's pizza, I love it. Why do we need to choose?!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

being from the west coast, i cant agree more... our pizza sucks. the best pizza i've had here was a pizza place that claimed they were authentic new york pizza..

i would love to try pizza from new york for real, it sounds delicious..
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    As all questions regarding pizza, the answer is...

...YES
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    East Coast vs. West Coast...who has the best??

Obviously, being from the Philly area...I KNOW the East Coast has the best. My personal favorite is the Delaware-based Grotto Pizza...I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Being a transplant to the West Coast, I constantly get into debates with the people out here over which is better. So, I bring the debate to MFP.

Oh, P.S. since Chicago is EAST of the Mississippi, Chicago-style counts as "East Coast" :bigsmile:

West Coast pizza??? I grew-up in the Chicago area and we have some amazing pizza. I went to New Jersey two months ago and some really good pizza there too. The West Coast ain't got ****, period. The best pizza I've seen on the west coast is Papa John's and let's be honest, that's not pizza.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options

being from the west coast, i cant agree more... our pizza sucks. the best pizza i've had here was a pizza place that claimed they were authentic new york pizza..

Can I quote you? NO ONE out here believes me that the pizza is terrible...they all claim East Coast pizza is cheesy cardboard!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

This pretty much what I was going to say. The best pizza places I have been on in California are all making a New York Style pizza. So, I'm going with New York as the best.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    btw, I agree, West Coast pizza? NY or Chicago - that is the debate.

^ This.

I'm from the Chicago area and I love pizza so much that I can honestly say I like both styles. Chicago style is great when you want a nice thick n rich pie, NY is good if you want good thin pizza with some amazing crust.