Replies

• masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I hate helloitsdan...
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would never up my calories in order to lose weight. Conventional wisdom says if you want to lose weight eat less and exercise more. I don't know why some people on MFP say to eat more food. It makes no sense to me. I do eat some of my exercise calories on days I am extra hungry but I try not to. I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

No offense but dont listen to this advice.
    Its a surefire way to drop hormones and maintain fat.
    Yikes!

Continue eating at your rate and measure your progress.
    The human body can fluctuate up to 5lbs or more daily.
    If the body fat doesnt drop after a month then adjust macros.

Listen to Dan!! Don't overreact to the 6 lb gain.... you haven't upped your calories enough to gain 6 lbs in one week!!! Your weight gain is due to something else. Take time and effort to figure it out
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!
    What's your body fat%?

Thank you. http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi
    gives me following figures
    your body fat percentage is estimated to be 23.74 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 30.35 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

I'm 60

So you eat very little cals...under 1200 daily and you are fine with the body fat% where it is?

Giving due respect to age, I'm fine with current weight, health and happy with self-image. My priority was and succeeded in making sure my blood sugars remain within normal range all through the day. Low carb was an only option available.... which meant none in form of white flour, sugar, juices..... never more than 3 slices of all grains bread any given day. Scarsdale Medical Diet has been a great influence over my food habits and overall general health. Permit me to give you yday's food intake for an example.... 2 slices of bread, more than 300 gms of peeled baked prawns, more than 200 gm of blue berries, 2 eggs, 2 grapefruits, one 25 gram bar of dark chocolate, lot of spinach, handful of walnuts and almonds, few peanuts, 1 serve of protein powder mixed with skim milk, 2 slices of turkey cold cuts, some fat free cottage cheese.... less than 1100-1200 cal consumption against /1900 supposed expenditure! I was stuffed full. Starvation..... you think? :noway:

Have you looked into intermittent fasting for the blood sugar stuff?

No. No plans to fix what is not broken or already fixed..... no two finger prints are alike and no 2 bodies work the same way. We're here to help support and share personal experiences with each other. Your input is greatly appreciated. Oh I forgot to add..... I had one 95 gm can of John West tuna as well....
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Will I be laughed at and made fun of.....if I was to propose

that processed foods white flour and sugar add unnecessary-unhealthy calories to our diet

that our body adjusts happily to lower intake of calories as long as diet is healthy

if you decide not to laugh or poke fun....agree that there is no starvation mode...as long intake consists of healthy calories?
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you. Ive made this same point countless times , so glad other people get it. I have no clue what my Bmr is, Ive lost 58 lbs...

If OP isnt fueling first her Basal Metabolic needs then she should just throw in the towel now.

Wonderful words of motivation.

Considering all the people that successfully lost weight for how many years without even knowing what a BMR was??? I guess that also explains all those people living where food is not well distributed (we see them on pictures every year at the holidays) - I guess they are so thin because they are getting their daily BMR calorie load at a minimum??
  • watboy
    Options
    I won't laugh, the body is a mystery.
    Will I be laughed at and made fun of.....if I was to propose

that processed foods white flour and sugar add unnecessary-unhealthy calories to our diet

that our body adjusts happily to lower intake of calories as long as diet is healthy

if you decide not to laugh or poke fun....agree that there is no starvation mode...as long intake consists of healthy calories?
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    saving to read later :)
  • watboy
    Options
    Cool shirt
    saving to read later :)
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

Ditto

me too.... (didn't ever lose 47 pounds though). but eating more has not and never has worked for me. maybe eating more quantity (healthier/whole foods) - not more calories. obviously this is a very individual thing, but yeah unfortunately has not worked for me. :sad:
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I need to read this. It's an ongoing saga because we all thought in the past that to lose weight: eat as little as you can and exercise as hard as you can. This clearly does not work otherwise why are a lot of us here!! I haven't upped my calories but I do eat back my exercise cals and always try to NET 1200 and it's working for me.
    I know people get frustrated with posts about this ALL OF THE TIME but it is obviously a difficult subject for some and I think we should treat each new enquiry with patience and the respect it deserves.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I hate helloitsdan...

I heart helloitsdan.

:laugh:
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I hate helloitsdan...

Yes....I can see why you would.

I on the other hand think his awesome sauce.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I would never up my calories in order to lose weight. Conventional wisdom says if you want to lose weight eat less and exercise more. I don't know why some people on MFP say to eat more food. It makes no sense to me. I do eat some of my exercise calories on days I am extra hungry but I try not to. I'll agree we probably shouldn't eat below 1200 calories but even occasionally I'll do that. I don't believe in eating if you're not hungry. All my life this is what I have been taught and that is the way I've lost 47 pounds. If eating more food really works for some well good for them. I know it would never work for me. :flowerforyou:

Because if you do it right, it works.

I've lost another 7.5 pounds in the last 3 weeks by upping my calories and eating my exercise calories back. BUT... I consume them with good fats (walnuts, avacados, olive oil). That's been the only difference. I'm not eating "more" food per se, but eating REAL salad dressing (homemade olive oil n vinegar) and avacado on my wraps.

Been working like a charm!
  • watboy
    Options
    This post sounded a lot like "congrats you're out of shape." It's no wonder people are saying things like "I hate helloitsdan" Weak sauce.
    Congrats on your loss!
    What's your body fat%?

Thank you. http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi
    gives me following figures
    your body fat percentage is estimated to be 23.74 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 30.35 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

I'm 60

So you eat very little cals...under 1200 daily and you are fine with the body fat% where it is?