Bikers!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• psyichic
    psyichic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will say that I might be construed as one of those "elitist snobs" although most of the times people you see whizzing by in their "team kit" normally aren't "looking down at you". Most of the times we are either doing an interval (And thus are in enough pain to not care about much other then not crashing) or we are late for a group ride (In which case we are so anxiety stricken all we can do is care about not crashing). The guys who you feel have that "Too cool for school" attitude spit that attitude out at everyone including other racers/ hardcore riders.

Don't sweat it. I am just happy to see people riding bikes, more awareness for everyone.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just wear what makes you feel comfortable. If you keep at it and get into longer distances you will discover that lycra is simply more comfortable. And don't worry about what others think, You are doing this for yourself. Just enjoy. And remember, for every hill that you battle up, you get to fly down the other side!
  • jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome new bikers, wear what you want as long as you're having fun..

I try to bike 60 plus miles a week, yes it is a comfort to have my padded bike shorts, and I like the pockets in my jersey. Gel gloves, clip in shoes with a matching helmet.

My goal is to compelte a century this year, I have finished several metric centuries.

Share the road and trails.

Cheers
    Jim
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! My husband and I are both pretty serious cyclists. The only time I look down on other cyclists are when they're riding along the trail or path and talking on their cell phone, swerving around, going slow, and making it impossible to pass. Other than that, I'm glad to see the trails busy!

Wear what you want! My hubby wears cycling shorts and a jersey or wicking fabric shirt....I dress like that for long rides (50+ miles) but other than that normally wear cute casual or workout clothes. But always a helmet, and usually cycling gloves.

Just enjoy the ride, be courteous to everyone of all levels, and you'll be great!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a biker. Hardcore??? Depends on my mood I suppose. Now those bikers who are wearing the matching "outfits" or shorts and tennis shoes on a motorcyle, I do admit chuckling when I see them. I'm not sure I look down my nose at anyone except for those who think people who ride Harleys are losers. I'm not even sure I look down my nose at them as they typically suffer from an inferiority complex and I'm guessing they really can't help that.

Now someone riding a mountain bike wearing a helmet, that's a different story. I have the utmost respect for them. They are getting fit and promoting a healthy lifestyle. They are an inspiration!! They are badd-*kitten* and I make lots of room for them on the road!!

I don't think I've ever heard the term, "Fred" before.

Badd Bob

Just yankin' your chain man. Works every time.

My first Harley was an 1974 AMF Sportster. I also have had a 77 Yamaha 750 Special, and an 02 Heritage Softtail Classic. I sold the Sportster long ago. I commuted in southern California (Pasadena to Inglewood down the Harbor freeway) every day for 6 years rain or shine on the Yamaha until I ran into a car while splitting traffic. The car switched lanes without seeing me. Helmets are my friend, because I landed on my head.

Bicycles, a couple of Treks, a Battlaglin road bike, Specialized Enduro SL expert trail bike, and a Kona Stab Deluxe downhill bike.

two wheels are one of my passions.

The main reason I got more serious about switching from motors to leg power is I was tired of carrying around a huge belly.

Its funny all the motor riders fly by me, I wave to all of them. Other than a few outliers, they would never condescend to wave to me. Cracks me up. I think their huge belly keeps there hand from being polite or something. j/k (again)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I wave to all cyclists that wave to me...whether their cycle has a prefix of bi...or motor, isn't relevant to me. I also happen to have one of those matching outfits (called leathers), that I'll wear if I'm taking the bike out for a track day, or even for serious mountain driving. Those leathers aren't about insecurity or image...they're what's going to bring me home to my little ones in the event of a get off. That being said...I've also been known to wear shorts and tshirt if I'm going to the gym. A helmet is mandatory...just part of the bike for me.

Anyhow...its actually kind of cool to see into the mindset of bicyclists. You're much more like us than I would have imagined. We call our newbies 'squids' (don't ask...I don't know)...and are also very welcoming to those same newbies (as long as they aren't the kind of moron doing 115 on one wheel on ANY public road).

Very cool!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Here's my bikes:

Trail Bike:
    2fc7c3b2.jpg

Downhill Bike:
    207a6f0d.jpg

Road Bike:
    4e379a51.jpg

Downhill bike racked on my car:
    26722909.jpg

When I was fat:
    32734007-1.jpg
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have progressed from a slow cruiser upright bicycle to a light full carbon road bike with all the gadgets, shorts, jersey, clips and shoes etc. etc.

I feel no different on the trail now vs when I rode the old slow bike. There will always be folks faster and slower than me. There will always be bikes cheaper and more expensive than mine. There will always be people who encourage me and people that don't know I exist.

I am finally learning to stop wondering what other people think about me. My bike is much nicer than my fitness level deserves but I don't care if I look like a Fred.

I'm also no longer offended when people I meet don't nod or wave or send some other friendly gesture. I recognize it as concentration, not unfriendliness..