Long Distance Relationship

Options

Replies

• guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    Totaly against it... but that's just me, its not that i cant trust the other person overseas, its cuz i cant trust MYSELF....
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ If your in love ... there should be no boundaries ... being " together " doesn't always mean seeing somebody everyday. It truly comes down to what works for you as an individual and together as a couple.

If it's meant to be ... nothing will stop you from being with the one you love. Time and distance are just a mixed metaphor ... not that it's illogical ... it just shouldn't be the deciding factor in what will or will not work. People sometimes weigh to heavenly on demographics and allow limitations to dictate their happiness. I believe one mile is no different than a 1000 miles ... it is not about the quantity of moments shared ... but merely the quality of what time you do get together.

One should never deny the heart ... if " true love " comes your way ... no matter where it comes from ... grasp it and enjoy the ride ! Sometimes it only happens once in a lifetime ... and only a fool would let it pass them by. :tongue:

* Note : I am a dreamer ... and for that reason alone, I see no obstacle as a definitive verdict ... there's always a chance for that curve ball to change your life ... change your world ! :wink:
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I've been there, done that. Actually I met my current girl friend online and hit two years last month. Today she is living with me. We were doing the long distance thing for little over a year. It was so freaking hard, but when the heart wants what it wants, distance doesn't mean ****.

Edit: I've also come to realize that when you're in a LDR you learn so much about the other person. There's nothing physical, besides physical attraction, everything else is just mentally getting to know the person. I feel like if you can survive that, then you're obviously going to make it far in life with that person.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    If you find true love then the distance shouldnt make a difference, If its meant to be you will move mountains to see each other!!

I too am in a LDR and I love it, we make time for each other every other weekend. when the love is there the drive is nothing. I would walk thru fire to get to him !
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    In my situation-- (I have had 2) it worked for awhile but eventually the distance--even w/ us seeing one another every other weekend (Dallas and Philadelphia) the day to day things grew on us--when I had a bad day and just needed someone there or vice versa. On the FLIP SIDE--I had one where it seemed perfect but once we spent a good deal of time together, I realized 'Wow, this is NOT the man for me' and I could have realized that earlier had we been in the same city---

Eventually someone will have to move in order to make it work.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Oh hell no. Long distance relationship means no regular nookie, unless you've got mad frequent flyer miles...

^^^ This.....plus it depends on how far "long distance" is!!! A few hours drive is fine but more than 500 miles would be hard!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is necessary (until someone can move, etc), but it sucks in the meantime. :grumble:

BF and I are doing 600+ miles right now...:sad:
    But eventually, we will be together so it will be worth it. :drinker:
    If you are trying to start out doing long distance, that might be very very difficult.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the two people and their connection. If it’s meant to be it will last and stay strong through any distance. It’s much easier now with things like Skype too :)
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    When I was in my nearly 6 year relationship, a good 1-2 years of it was spent LD. I don't like distance, and it's unlikely that id go through it at all again.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I dont mind it... My husband and I did it for a couple of years before he relocated, but you have to also realize we are both military...
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have been in a long distance relationship for almost 3 years. He's the love of my life...now my fiance.
    It is hard!!!! We see each other for about 4 days every 6 weeks. Its expensive. Its exhausting. Its heartbreaking.

If you know its the real deal, then go for it. If you have doubts, don't bother. Is is so emotionally taxing, its crazy. Factor in timezone difference, with reference to chatting online (which we do for at least 2 hours every night), then it can be tiring. One thing though...doing it the way we have, we probably talk more than most people do who live together.

If you're in a long distance relationship, then my heart goes out to you.
  • PriscaLS
    PriscaLS Posts: 1
    Options
    Definitely in favor :) it takes a whole lot of effort but it can work. I've been dating my boyfriend for over a year and I'm in Italy whilst he's in the US. Counting down the days to the next visit, this summer :)
    We hope to move in together when we are both done with our educations, so as soon as it is possible. Until then, we make the best of our time together.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    my husband and i spent our entire engagement in a long distance relationship. i lived in virignia and he lived in south carolina. not horrible distance, really, only 6ish hours drive time, but between his schedule and mine we only got to see each other once every 4 to 6 weeks, and rarely for more than 2 or 3 days at a time. we went from a long distance relationship, to getting married and living together without much hassle.

i think they are entirely possible, but the relationship has to be strong, and have a good foundation of trust to it.
  • michaelaleighfle
    michaelaleighfle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    for it :) i am in one and i couldn't be happier!
  • stwalsh226
    Options
    I'm in one and I'll admit it was great at first!! I had my own life, plenty of space and could do my own thing, but I had him there too and we talked all the time and did sweet little things for each other and when we got to see each other it was amazing. But as our relationship got more serious, it really started getting hard. I am in this serious, committed relationship, but I feel like I'm single and going through life alone. He isn't around for my everyday crap or to just give me a hug after a seriously bad day. I miss him every second of everyday and it's awful. Now, being in a long distance relationship with him is still better than not having him in my life. I am completely in love with the man, but I need our relationship to go to the next level and it can't while we are long distance. So, my advice, BE CAREFUL!!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've been in two (college made the distance, we are from the same area).

One didn't work out so well, because he wasn't willing to put in the effort.

And I've been with my current boyfriend for almost a year, most of which has been long distance, and it's the greatest relationship I've ever been in!

Both parties need to be invested in the relationship and be willing to work despite the distance. Communication is key, staying in touch via Facebook, Skype, calls/texts. And visits are nice too!
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend lives about 110 miles away, which is about a 2 and a half hour drive. Or 5 if you get stuck in traffic =/ There are some reasons why it sucks - we can't just spend an evening together, can't just pop over if one of us have had a bad day, miss all the during the week stuff etc. but, I wouldn't change it for the world. Well I'd change the distance but I wouldn't change us and I wouldn't consider, for a moment, not being with him because of the distance. Like someone else said, if you want to make it work, you can and will. So it means that our weekends are generally taken up with each other and that he drives here or I drive there but we do see each other every weekend. Though I'm sure we'll have the odd weekend off as well when one or both of us has other stuff to do. It sucks that I can't see him more but it means that I appreciate the time that I spend with him even more. It's not ideal but for the right person, you shouldn't think twice. You can make it work.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I was in one for a couple of years. We were 2400 miles apart. June will be our 13th ann.! I would have crawled that distance on broken glass to be with her.
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    I was against it until I met my boyfriend online. I'm in Michigan and he's in Minnesota. We have been together for about 2.5 years now and we've met in person like 5 or 6 times and he will be here in just under a month =] After that I will be visiting him one more time and looking for apartments then by this time next year I will be living there with him and I cannot wait. I think you have to be a special type of person to make a LDR work because I had a friend who was with a guy from England for 2 years. They met a few times and were engaged and had set a date and even put down a deposit on a wedding hall. Then he came for another visit and it just fell apart. They were both just too busy for each other and they couldnt make it work. So like I said...its not for some people and thats fine...I just dont like when I get weird looks when people ask me where I met my boyfriend lol
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I was in one for a couple of years. We were 2400 miles apart. June will be our 13th ann.!

This is amazing, I am 1800 miles from my SO and looks like it will be a while before one of us can move. This is inspirational.