How do you say NO to cake?

Options
That's my problem. I see slices of cake, trays of cookies, brownies and ooh cake pops in front of me.. How do you say NO?
I can't!!

Does anybody have some helpful tips or ideas? I need help with my constant desire for sweets!

Help? :)

Replies

• kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You have to change your vocabulary. A change of mindset will come in time.

Practice saying "no" to cake. Do it over and over. In a month you'll see yourself not even considering cake a food option. I had to do this with fast food, and at this point when I'm hungry, it's not an option for food.
  • caralynnxo
    Options
    You have to change your vocabulary. A change of mindset will come in time.

Practice saying "no" to cake. Do it over and over. In a month you'll see yourself not even considering cake a food option. I had to do this with fast food, and at this point when I'm hungry, it's not an option for food.

That makes total sense - I just have such a hard time with saying the word "no" ! :grumble:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Umm, it is easy. NO.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You don't say no. You work it into your daily calorie intake and macros.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have a small piece. Log it. And move on.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't say no! If you make it work into your cals/ macros for the day- then you should be all set! Eat the Cake!
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I say, sorry I can't eat that, I have a wheat and gluten intolerence. People then leave me alone and don't keep trying to make me have "just a bit". BTW - I really do have the intole.rence so it does make it easy
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it and bring it home. If you're tempted at work or some such, take a small portion, savor it, make it last, log it, and move on.
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You never say no to cake! :) I think that's why so many don't have long term success. If those are your favorites, you aren't going to be able to give them up forever and why would you want to. :) Eat it in moderation, then fit it into your daily calories by eating less the rest of the day or my preferred method... By burning it off. :)
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I know I have a certain allotment of calories. I ask myself if the 300 or more calories are worth the few minutes of eating cake, donuts, etc. Usually it's really not worth it.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    That's my problem. I see slices of cake, trays of cookies, brownies and ooh cake pops in front of me.. How do you say NO?
    I can't!!

Does anybody have some helpful tips or ideas? I need help with my constant desire for sweets!

Help? :)

You're first mistake is telling yourself that you can't say no. You can. It's just cake. It's not like you're never going to see it again. One of the most reliable methods of behavior change is to change the behavior first-change of thoughts and feelings will follow. So, step 1: When you see the cake, just walk away. You KNOW you don't need it. So just walk away. Step 2, you'll feel stronger because you said no. Your feelings toward cake will gradually change each time you are able to say no. Now you're stronger than the cake. That changes your thoughts toward it. Before you know it, cake doesn't matter.

the thing to remember is-it's just cake.
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    I don't say NO I say everything in moderation!
  • KP5555
    KP5555 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just say NO..... I found and alterative to cake, because I really enjoy cake, Pineapple bliss cupecakes (90 calories of Yummy) it is just yellow cake mix and a big can of crushed pineapple.... this cures my cake cravings.....
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You look at the cake and ask, "Is it really good cake?" If the answer is yes, you eat the cake, log it and move on. If the answer is, "Not my favorite kind" or "the person who made it isn't really a good baker" or "It looks a little stale", you move on :)

I used to eat all cakes, cookie, brownies, candies. Now, I still eat those things, but I'm waaaay pickier about them. The calories have to be worth it. If they are, I don't look back. If not, I don't eat it. I also sometimes take a bite, decide I don't really like it, and don't finish. At one time, I would have finished it just because it was there. I'm trying to get into a moderation mindset so I can maintain my weight, because a total denial one does not work for me long term. I think we all find our own balance.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    What kills me is that people stress out over a single piece of cake or a cookie or a drink, but at the same time eat processed prepackaged meals everyday. (Not saying that the OP does this). If you eat healthy and "clean" (i don't really like that word, but I understand the sentiment) most of the time, there is NOTHING wrong with having something you enjoy, EVEN if it tips you over your calorie goals for a day. Remember this is a marathon and not a sprint.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    No reason to say no. But just remember to have just one piece (or even just one bite) instead of the whole cake. :laugh:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just say no. simple as that. for my birthday last year, I did not have cake, I had cool whip free and mixed berries. This year, I will not have cake on my birthday (saturday) because easter sunday is going to be my cheat day -- will power friends! :)
  • leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options
    i only say no if i dont actually want it ! if not i say just a little bit please! log it and up the exersize or go without something else, really not difficult at all!
  • irenephillip824
    Options
    I have a small piece. Log it. And move on.

^
    This
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i cant say no to cake, which is the reason I dont eat it..at all.

For me I just cant stop at 1 slice..i have to have the entire thing, or want more and more and more and....(you get the idea).

So in my mind i know if i have 1 slice, i will end up eating more and therefore ruin my efforts...so weirdly i now find it easy to say no, because i know its not worth it.