I would love to become a Jogger/Runner - where do I even sta

Options
124»

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    i am realizing more and more each day that I wish I had a freakin smart phone lol

...it seems a lot of things i am struggling with right now would be greatly helpful if I had some assistance on a smart phone lol

That c25k app sounds awesome! lol

My other issue with myself right now is I am like almost scared to start lol - like when I start thinking about it I get really overwhelmed by it and it really hurts my self motivation.

I think that I am still in the stage where I am fighting myself constantly and I have to get over this before I can really get anywhere!

Start small.
    Lets go walk one mile today....Just ONE MILE
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Can somebody please tell me whether I have to go to a special store for jogging shoes or can I go to someplace like Dunham's Sports? :smile:

People will say that you have to go to a running specialty store to get shoes.
    Other people will say that you can get your shoes at Dunham's if you want.

Find a shoe that is comfortable for now....comfort will be the most important thing. Hell, there are people who run without any shoes!! Once you get into a more solid running program, then you will want to upgrade the shoes...

Just my experience..
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I too would love to become a jogger. My problem is I am so self-conscious and don't want anybody driving by to see me jogging. And I hate treadmills. HATE TREADMILLS!! plus, I don't have one and will not spend money on one. I would jog on the flat area between my back yard and my grandfather's hay field, but I'm afraid of divots in the grass I don't see, therefore twisting my ankle.

Just do it! Don't worry about what you look like...focus on what you want to look like and how you want to feel! I started the C25k and couldn't run a minute without being completely gassed. Now I can run 25+ minutes straight. I am losing weight and I feel wonderful. Give it a try!

AND, you never know who else you might inspire to do what you're doing.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in my 6th week of C25K and it's a FABULOUS program. Stick with it and don't push ahead...and I guarantee a few weeks in you will really see a difference in your endurance!

A few words of advice...

1) GO SLOW. Jog as slow as you can, even if it's barely faster than walking. This helps with endurance immensely! I know you'll be tempted to go faster, but believe me, fighting that temptation is the best thing you can do.
    2) Once you get committed to the program, get fitted for a good pair of shoes. They aren't cheap, but they sure do help with preventing aches and pains.
    3) Develop a good soundtrack for a jog! A good song here and there totally keeps me going!
    4) Take rest days between your jogs.
    5) Stretch before AND after each jog. Seriously. You will regret skipping this step! ;)
    6) Have FUN!

Feel free to add me! I love fellow newbie runners like myself!
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Because of all the talk of expensive shoes, I am just going to mention that not all runners wear or need expensive shoes. If you are not a heel striker, it is possible to run with minimalist shoes. Some of which are expensive, but some are not. I ran a full marathon in Vibrams, which cost as much as traditional trainers. But some days I run my morning 6K in aqua shoes that cost less than 10 dollars. Yes, I have expensive minimalist shoes - and I have cute running skirts, too - because I like them and have chosen to spend money on my fitness clothes. But it wasn't necessary.

I know some people get very evangelical about "barefoot" running. I am not trying to do that - but the fact is, there is no such thing as magic shoes. The research is varied and can point to whatever you want it to point to. Overall, though - what works for you works for you. Bending my knees and landing midfoot has meant that I have run barefoot for several years without major injuries, with stronger knees and have yet to lose, or even blacken, a toenail. It works wonderfully for me.

In trainers I used to trip on trail runs. I twisted my ankles often. I like being on the ground. I like the fact that the muscles in my feet feel and adjust to the earth. Traditional trainers (which weren't even around until the 70s) feel like stilts to me now. My PT is not all that convinced in regard to minimalist shoes, but has admitted my muscles and my Achilles are extremely healthy.

Of course people are trying to make money off the barefoot trend - lessons, books, (ironically) shoes... but there is a lot of free info out there. Good youtube videos on running form etc.

Saying you can't run without the perfect pair of shoes is like saying you can't turn a cartwheel without the perfect leotard. Don't buy it.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You will feel winded for the first couple of weeks minimum no matter how fit you are if you're a new runner. When I started out I was a keen cyclist and pretty damn fit, I did the C25K program and nearly died for the first 2 weeks but after that it was a doddle... the body just takes time to adjust to a new exercise.

Best of luck
  • mark2605
    mark2605 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think the Couch 2 5k is a great programme, but beyond the grasp of people who are very overweight / very unfit / very biomechanically ill-suited to running. It starts off slow, but then seems to make unrealistic leaps in how long you need to run for.

So below is what worked for me. Full disclosure: I am no expert, but found a training method that enabled me to go from literally wanting to die after running 100m to running half marathons without any walking.

Before starting, ensure you are fitted for correct running shoes. As an overweight person, you are highly likely to over-pronate, even if you don't naturally have flat feet.

First decide the amount of time you're going to run/jog each time. Minimum 30 minutes, maximum 1 hour.

To start off with, do not run on consecutive days. Your joints and muscles will let you know when you're ready to run on consecutive days.

PROGRAMME

Week 1: ONLY WALK

Week 2: Walk 4 minutes, jog/run 1 minute (W4;R1). In that order. Repeat for total duration of exercise. Stay with this pattern for at least 2 weeks, or as many weeks until is starts feeling easiER (not easy).

Next stage (maybe week 4, maybe later): walk 3 minutes, run 2 (W3;R2). This is the hardest jump to make, as you're effectively doubling your running time. Don't lose heart at this point. As above, do this stage for at least 2 weeks, but more than likely, more than 2 weeks.

Next stage: W2, R3 - now you're running more than walking, but by this point your body has been conditioned for running and your fitness will be much improved, so while daunting on paper, it's probably easier than W3, R2. As above, stay in this pattern for at least 2 weeks, probably more, until it feels noticeably easiER (not easy).

Penultimate stage: W1, R4 - you should be quite fit by this stage, at least relative to where you started. You need to do this, as with all stages, for at least 2 weeks, but likely much longer. You'll know you're ready to move on to just running when the 1 minute of walking is actually beginning to annoy you, and it feels more like a break in your rhythm than a relief. This will come at a different time for every person. It's a leap of faith, and only you'll know when it's time to ditch the walking entirely.

TIPS
    - moving onto the next stage is not only about your fitness, but your body conditioning. While your lungs and heart may be ready to move on, your joints and muscles may not be, and moving on too soon increases your risk of injury;

- to help your joints and shins in the early stages (shin splints are almost guaranteed in the early stages), fill some polystyrene cups with water and freeze them. Once frozen, peel away the polystyrene and ice your joints, shins and muscles with them every day after your workout.

- breathe through your mouth and nose when running

- to minimise lower back problems, keep your core engaged while running / walking

- keep your shoulders down and your hands loose. Keep your head down looking in front of you about 10 - 15 metres
    - vary your running route

- get out on the roads - a treadmill is great cardio, but it is not actually running. If you view someone on the treadmill in slow motion, the action is closer to jumping (i.e. jumping to keep from falling off) than true running.

- until you can comfortably run for an hour (comfortably means the ability to talk to someone while doing it), SPEED AND DISTANCE ARE IRRELEVANT. Do not worry about running faster or further. Focus on the time. If your run is a mere shuffle or slow jog, it doesn't matter, as long as you're able to do it for an hour. There is plenty of time later for worrying about speed.

- incorporate cross training to work other muscle groups (e.g. swimming) or strength training. Squats and lunges will do your hamstrings and quads a world of good and minimise the incidence of injury.

Good luck
  • phatmess
    phatmess Posts: 3
    Options
    I read Run Fat B!tch Run and found it great! It seems to be the same idea as the c25K programme it seems. I have been running for three months, I now run 5k a day in 30 mins and everything you read is true - it will make you feel (and look!) amazing :) Anyway here are the highlights:

Just get out there. Map a route that would take you about an hour and a half to walk (3-4 miles ish) and just get out there, walk it a few times, then start running VERY SLOWLY for 10 mins. The next week 15 mins, the next week 20 and so on. 4-5 times a week. As slowly as possible! You can speed up later, just focus on getting around your circuit.

Motivation for me involves no tricks - when I start thinking "oh well it's raining, and I've had a long day, and I could run twice as much tomorrow to make up for it, and my shoes are dirty, and I should really be doing laundry instead blah blah blah..." I would just counter it by thinking "oh well that's all very nice but you are going for that run whether you like it or not". Laundry can get done later, and I've had some of my best runs on days when I've come home tired and stressed after a long day. The hardest thing is just getting out the door, so just make yourself do that and the rest will be...well, not easy, but doable and worth it!

Just get out there and do it. No excuses. Put your shoes on and shove yourself out the door. GO NOW!
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    looking at starting the couch 2 5k any advise on counting it in the exercise log. advise etc much appreciated.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Slow & easy ... The C25K program is great if you are already physically active. If you aren't I recommend starting out with either timed sequences of running & walking (run 30 seconds then walk 2 minutes to work your way up) or distance mark run/walks (run 1 telephone length & walk 2). It's an awesome experience!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Try for a mile. Walk/jog, then after about two weeks your stamina increases and you can walk/jog two miles. Keep it up till you can jog the whole two miles.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    And ... There are great stores out there that actually fit you in the right shoe for no extra cost. Runners World in Brookfield WI video tapes you on the treadmill to get you in the right shoe. My husband & I just went & only spent $215 after taxes on awesome shoes!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'll join the chorus: C25K. My wife and I have been doing a variation called "Pooch to 5K" (running a 5K with your dog). I got a HIIT timer app on my Android so that the timing of the run/walk cycles isn't a problem. And there's nothing that says you have to follow the program slavishly. My wife tends to get winded during the runs (which surprises us given how crazy she goes during her TurboFire cardio workouts), so if we finish a week and she doesn't feel comfortable advancing, we just repeat that week.

Overall, C25K and it's variations seem to be a great, comfortable way to start and easily modifiable if needed.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    C25K! Just finished week 5...so today I ran for 20 minutes without stopping. I've come a long way from the 20 second intervals I started with at the beginning of the year.
    Get yourself a good pair of shoes, a podcast (or the smartphone app) and find a nice place outside to run and go for it!
  • Effedielle
    Options
    Ciao.
    I started with the Asics site some years ago and I've gone from 0 km to three half-marathons and a marathon (my profile picture is on the marathon finish line :-))
    You can sign up peacefully, without spam or other annoyances.
    Start walking, little, slowly, a bit 'like C25K, but with more customization options.
    The site is in Italian http://www.myasics.it/, but you can use the one in English on http://my.asics.co.uk/
    Highly recommended.

Francesco