Would like to share my research with you...

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    In terms of fat and sugar, how high is "high?"

I often have this same question. It is easy for people to say cut out sugar alltogether, but that is not ok for all the time. I would like to modify how much sugar I take in on a daily/weekly basis. but how much is too much sugar? What is considered too high?

We will use a 45% fat (all saturated), 40% sucrose, 15% protein diet and that does a good job of causing metabolic problems.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    SO interesting! This post was informative and your answers to other posters were likewise thoughtful, informative, and research-based. I'd like to dream that in another life I'd do research that involves biology and nutrition.

Thank you, too, for validating my obsession with goats' milk yogurt, ableit indirectly, haha. <3

Thank you for the lovely compliment! :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info and all the replies.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thanks for the info and all the replies.

You're welcome! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    This is why licking your hands after sanitizing them isn't recommended..........................
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear about the hormones next please!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I'd like to hear about the hormones next please!

Sure thing! I'll work on that today. Takes a little bit more time when there's a lot of biochem and such involved. :)
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You mention quite frequently the capsules you take. Can you share what that is songbryd? I wouldn't have any idea where to start looking for this type of pill. Or I guess could you give some examples of brands out there we may now of?
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading.
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    You might add that over-use of antibiotics can also kill the 'good' bacteria in your body and cause a lot of harm. Should only use as absolutely necessary and as low 'strength' as possible.
    You are so right! I get so many patients from the hospital who have destroyed their good bacteria by taking so many antibiotics. The result is a nasty intestinal infection that is frighteningly contagious!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You might add that over-use of antibiotics can also kill the 'good' bacteria in your body and cause a lot of harm. Should only use as absolutely necessary and as low 'strength' as possible.
    You are so right! I get so many patients from the hospital who have destroyed their good bacteria by taking so many antibiotics. The result is a nasty intestinal infection that is frighteningly contagious!

Talking about C diff? That stuff is baaaad. :/
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Also, NSAIDS (painkillers) can do a number on your gut and make it quite leaky.

Can you expand on this a little?
    How much is bad?
    (like 1 Naproxen or 2 Ibuprofen per day?)

And I guess the answer/treatment to this is ... soluble fiber and probiotics!

Thanks for a really interesting thread and all your consciencious replies.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    great thread, what are your thoughts on aloe vera juice for a healthy gut
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    Wow, this is really interesting. I have often gone through phases of taking probiotics - often after a brush with antibiotics but haven't really ever got round to taking them long term. If it helps weight loss (amongst other things!) then it's surely worth a go!

I eat oat porridge every day - not sure if this would count as enough soluble fibre or not! But I definitely need to cut down on the sugar in my diet - have cut down quite a bit but just love my carbs and cakes!

I think I should also put my kids on a probiotic, want to ensure they're as healthy as poss. Esp my daughter who is very picky and has a very limited diet.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    apparently I bought the wrong thing.... Went to Target and found fiber gummy supplements with carbs, dietary fiber and soluble fiber. What exactly should I be I be looking for to purchase probiotics.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    songbyrdsweet:

[This might be gross for some...]
    Do you know anything about "fecal transplants" done in order to introduce new bacteria into the colon for IBS patients? I recall reading a study about this. At first it was shocking, but also very interesting.

Or in other words.. has anything like this been part of your research?
  • Colleend74
    Colleend74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great read! Very interesting, thank you.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    songbyrdsweet:

[This might be gross for some...]
    Do you know anything about "fecal transplants" done in order to introduce new bacteria into the colon for IBS patients? I recall reading a study about this. At first it was shocking, but also very interesting.

Or in other words.. has anything like this been part of your research?

My pooper is a one way street =P
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bump