Would like to share my research with you...

Options

Replies

• Minimooshable
    Options
    I'm bumping this as I'm finding it very interesting.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Fascinating.

If you cleanse before intestinal surgery, how much does your "bacterial fingerprint" change?
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Fascinating read and research! Thanks so much for taking time to educate us!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    songbyrdsweet:

[This might be gross for some...]
    Do you know anything about "fecal transplants" done in order to introduce new bacteria into the colon for IBS patients? I recall reading a study about this. At first it was shocking, but also very interesting.

Or in other words.. has anything like this been part of your research?

I haven't personally done them, but they've been done in mice for years. Now they're using it as therapy in humans. I'm quite happy NOT having done them. :bigsmile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Fascinating.

If you cleanse before intestinal surgery, how much does your "bacterial fingerprint" change?

It doesn't change so much as get drastically reduced, especially with fasting. Definitely would be prudent to follow that with probiotic supplementation.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. This was the best post. Highly educational. Well done!
  • Green_Ash
    Green_Ash Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know this is late, but this I just finished reading the whole thread and I find it very interesting as I have Insulin Resistance and have always struggled with weight and intestinal issues. I know I'm supposed to eat more fiber, but I have a hard enough time getting in the regular amount of fiber so I guess it's time to go to the store and see about getting some help! Thank you for sharing all of this information.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    bumping
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! Could one give the same doses of probiotics to children (9+)? (many, many antiobiotics have put their tummies out of whack)
  • jamface11
    Options
    Bump, super interesting!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Songbryd you are going to make a fabulous professor with the way you explain things. My dad was a biochem professor and he confused the snot out of me trying to explain the most basic concepts whereas you break it down to a very understandable level. Good luck on your studies and please do keep up these types of posts. Thank you!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    So THAT's what you've been up to all this time :wink:

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing.

Am I right in saying that when your bacteria are out of whack you're more prone to yeast infections (furry tongue and thrush etc.?) I hate having to take antibiotics as it takes ages to get back to normal afterwards!
  • AliJelliBelli
    Options
    Great post, thank you so much for sharing! will try to read the whole thread later to see if there are any recommendations on a pro/pre-biotic to take (am in UK). I have recurrent thrush, IBS and just hideous digestion. I've tried things like yakult and the multi-bionta tablets but didn't seem to make much difference - was a long time ago though... have a pretty good diet but do drink a lot of black and green tea (without milk or sugar) and have been known to have the odd tipple of white wine... :) Have been losing weight on here but very slowly.

please don't tell me tea is bad for me. please! :)
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Songbyrdsweet: What are your thoughts on homemade raw Kefir (made from raw milk, of course)? Is it in the trillions of organisms per serving?

And what about probiotics for pregnant women?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Songbyrdsweet: What are your thoughts on homemade raw Kefir (made from raw milk, of course)? Is it in the trillions of organisms per serving?

And what about probiotics for pregnant women?

Yummm, I love Kefir!

Very few foods or supplements--if any--contain trillions of bacteria. Your gut does, but it is many, many feet long. A mixture of bacteria-containing foods (like Kefir) along with insoluble fiber (veggies and fruit skins) are your best bet for happy gut bugs.

A baby is colonized through birth and breast feeding, so the mother's microbiome is extremely influential. I think it would be a good idea to take them while under a doctor's supervision (gotta add that since I am not an OB :) ).
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Double response!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Great post, thank you so much for sharing! will try to read the whole thread later to see if there are any recommendations on a pro/pre-biotic to take (am in UK). I have recurrent thrush, IBS and just hideous digestion. I've tried things like yakult and the multi-bionta tablets but didn't seem to make much difference - was a long time ago though... have a pretty good diet but do drink a lot of black and green tea (without milk or sugar) and have been known to have the odd tipple of white wine... :) Have been losing weight on here but very slowly.

please don't tell me tea is bad for me. please! :)

I'm not familiar with either of those supplements. Have you considered a prescription-strength probiotic? They will have hundreds of billions of bacteria and have been shown effective in reducing IBS-induced diarrhea and bloating.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    So THAT's what you've been up to all this time :wink:

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing.

Am I right in saying that when your bacteria are out of whack you're more prone to yeast infections (furry tongue and thrush etc.?) I hate having to take antibiotics as it takes ages to get back to normal afterwards!

Yes, you are absolutely at greater risk for overgrowth of unhealthy bacteria.

Old trick for vaginal inflammation is some plain yogurt on a tampon, inserted for about 10 minutes. Sounds weird but it really does the trick.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Songbryd you are going to make a fabulous professor with the way you explain things. My dad was a biochem professor and he confused the snot out of me trying to explain the most basic concepts whereas you break it down to a very understandable level. Good luck on your studies and please do keep up these types of posts. Thank you!

Thank you!! I will update as I get new information. :)
  • mylifeloss
    Options
    During sepsis, the ability of the body to prevent muscle wasting is impaired resulting in loss of skeletal muscle. In addition, skeletal muscle handling of carbohydrate becomes less efficient. These changes could result in delayed recovery, prolonged rehabilitation and in severe cases mortality of patients. It is still unclear how these changes occur in the human skeletal muscles but animal experiments suggest that protein molecules that are released during sepsis are responsible for these changes. Due to the biological differences between animals and humans in metabolic rate and stability, disease susceptibility and response to infection, simple translation of knowledge from animals to patients could be highly misleading.

LPS are an integral part of the bacterium, the bacteria need to be present for what you are describing to take place. Where is the research that indicates that my gut bacteria are floating around in my circulation and if they were I would be septic.