• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Yeti

Bored are you? :ohwell:
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a weird weird topic for me.

I had gastric surgery. For 5 weeks I literally didn't consume more than 500 calories a day, while drinking only protein shakes. I have to keep my protein to more than 70g/day. I worked my super physical job (wearing a pedometer, I never was below 8k-10k steps), going to the gym for aqua classes and doing cardio..EVERY day! If I'd read someone saying this, I'd accuse them of lying or cheating, but I did NOT

I lost not one lb. Not one. For those who think it's amusing, yes, I did actually consider trying to sell my metabolism to a 3rd world country. HOW could I exist on that? the deficit was clearly in excess of what I was consuming, yet there was ZERO weight loss.

I went to another forum, where I was advised to stop working out so much and eat more. I stopped going to the gym, and upped my calories to around 750. The first week, I lost 6 lbs.

Now, it seems extremely counterintuitive that to LOSE weight I had to MOVE less and EAT more, yet that's exactly what happened.

don't mock it unless you've been there.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bored are you? :huh:
    Yeti

• ladyraven68
    Options
    Yeti

No, just wondered what your motivation was for such an unconstructive message, 4 days after the last post, other than causing more mischief.

Some people are really having problems with this and need help and advice, not ridicule.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    huh?
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump to read after work
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I had gastric surgery. For 5 weeks I literally didn't consume more than 500 calories a day, while drinking only protein shakes. I have to keep my protein to more than 70g/day. I worked my super physical job (wearing a pedometer, I never was below 8k-10k steps), going to the gym for aqua classes and doing cardio..EVERY day! If I'd read someone saying this, I'd accuse them of lying or cheating, but I did NOT

I lost not one lb. Not one. For those who think it's amusing, yes, I did actually consider trying to sell my metabolism to a 3rd world country. HOW could I exist on that? the deficit was clearly in excess of what I was consuming, yet there was ZERO weight loss.

I went to another forum, where I was advised to stop working out so much and eat more. I stopped going to the gym, and upped my calories to around 750. The first week, I lost 6 lbs.

Now, it seems extremely counterintuitive that to LOSE weight I had to MOVE less and EAT more, yet that's exactly what happened.

If I recall, less than 500 is extremely low, even for a gastric bypass patient. It makes sense that you would lose at a higher number of calories. Most beginning GB patients do from 500-1000.

Even at your 750, most people on MFP would say that you are in starvation mode.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    LOL..it is low, I agree...I had to go with what I was physically ABLE to consume. Pushing it even to 750 is a struggle for me sometimes. Unless I scarf chocolate or simple carbs, the calorie counts stay low. I still get physically sick from meat and a lot of protein sources, so shakes are the way to go.

Thanks for your input :)
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yet you read it?
    Yeti

No, just wondered what your motivation was for such an unconstructive message, 4 days after the last post, other than causing more mischief.

Some people are really having problems with this and need help and advice, not ridicule.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yeti

Unfortunately, thats the way he 'rolls'.
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    Yet you read it?
    Yeti

Of course I read it - when it pops up in the thread list you know new posts have been made, not how many or who, other than the last poster.
    I was expecting some relevant posts, not just pointless trolling.

*sigh*
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    Yeti

Unfortunately, thats the way he 'rolls'.

So I've discovered - no more responses from me.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-hu_b6qqUb32vr9WxQ96HBLpjH4_jDkwPZZOlacAD_qs2DUqpnw
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    if starvation mode is real. explain to me why a proper "PSMF" diet is extremely effective???
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'll believe what I want. The Scientists, or where ever the hell you got your information, are not always right. I don't believe it's real. You're hungry, and that's it, but it's not starvation mode. No one refers to the kids in Africa, do they? We don't need another one of these threads.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    frankly this whole idea of "starvation mode" is bunk if you are involved in a weight training regime...

otherwise, sure i can see how people who go into hypocaloric deficiets can be causing harm to themselves over the long term...

why anyone would try to lose weight by diet alone is beyond me, unless for some reason you are physically unable to exercise... that'd mean you're like so obese you can barely move, but for the rest of "us" get your rear end up and do something, weight training is for everyone...

There are other physical ailments out there that can limit what kind of exercising you can do. And there are a lot of physical ailments that can work against you when you are trying to do some kind of weight training.

I have a ton of physical issues that make exercising - ESPECIALLY weight training VERY difficult. So, don't assume that everyone is capable of doing what you can do.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    if starvation mode is real. explain to me why a proper "PSMF" diet is extremely effective???

How about quoting some studies that show the effectiveness, without metabolic slowdown, of a long term PSMF diet in the non-obese?
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Obviously you've found what works for you and that it required a change to more food and less exercise.
    Is the calories consumed (under 500) just referring to solid food, and not including the protein shakes? Because from what I've seen those tend to have a lot. But at the same time, that wouldn't be to blame for no loss for that long. Just curious about that part.
    I also assume you did this with close doctor supervision/advice post surgery- did they advise the change or did you deicde to try it for yourself?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'll believe what I want. The Scientists, or where ever the hell you got your information, are not always right. I don't believe it's real. You're hungry, and that's it, but it's not starvation mode. No one refers to the kids in Africa, do they? We don't need another one of these threads.

Hunger has nothing to do with starvation mode.
  • gg9nerak
    gg9nerak Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    frankly this whole idea of "starvation mode" is bunk if you are involved in a weight training regime...

otherwise, sure i can see how people who go into hypocaloric deficiets can be causing harm to themselves over the long term...

why anyone would try to lose weight by diet alone is beyond me, unless for some reason you are physically unable to exercise... that'd mean you're like so obese you can barely move, but for the rest of "us" get your rear end up and do something, weight training is for everyone...

Respectfully dude.... That doesn't always mean that. There are overweight people in wheelchairs. Ones that couldn't even walk while triing to lose weight.

My thoughts exactly. I know many who have diseases where it would be detrimental for them to try to lift weights and of course there are the ones that are in wheel chairs unable to even feed themselves much less lift weights. They would give anything to be able to exercise. I found that statement very insensitive.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    We all know what starving ourselves can do, we see it on the TV all the time !