call it what you want "starvation mode" is REAL

Options

Replies

• watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Sarauk I don't like arguing with you I care to much. You're a doll. But im sorry in order for someone to have any noticebale effects of any kinda of metabolic slow down they would have to really be trying super hard to kill themselves and in that case metabolism is the least of their problem. The studies often cited were under such extremes that most people will never ever have any issues.
    i'm trying to get rid of my rolls. People need to have a sense of humor. I don't believe in starvation mode and I'm glad some people could benefit from some humor and some support .
    Bored are you? :huh:
    Yeti

Bored are you? :ohwell:

No, just wondered what your motivation was for such an unconstructive message, 4 days after the last post, other than causing more mischief.

Some people are really having problems with this and need help and advice, not ridicule.

Unfortunately, thats the way he 'rolls'.

Humor and support are great - but in my opinion, your comments are neither.

Also, please stop with the semantics. When people are talking about starvation mode, they generally are talking about a metabolic slowdown - something that you agree happens on a VLCD.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What I think is interesting is how many people who eat at 1200 suddenly find themselves struggling to eat more. I believe this is caused by the metabolism slowing down, which takes the appetite with it.

I believe we really can have a reasonable discussion about this without an all-out flame war. No need to get snippy, folks. Eat a sandwich. Be happy. :bigsmile:

:like button:
  • watboy
    Options
    How do we explain people on 1200 calories who continue to have weightloss consistantly for over a year and reach their goal?
    What I think is interesting is how many people who eat at 1200 suddenly find themselves struggling to eat more. I believe this is caused by the metabolism slowing down, which takes the appetite with it.

I believe we really can have a reasonable discussion about this without an all-out flame war. No need to get snippy, folks. Eat a sandwich. Be happy. :bigsmile:

:like button:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No one is saying "You will stop losing weight." But that's not to say that their loss is OPTIMAL loss. It's making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Years ago, I struggled for a good 8 or more months to lose about 20 pounds when I wasn't eating enough. I thought the only way to keep losing would be to eat even less than I was. Average loss per week was about a half pound a week, many weeks less than that, even though I was aiming for 2 pounds or more per week.

But eating the RIGHT amount of calories for what I weighed and how much I wanted to lose, which is nearly twice as much as I was years ago, I easily and effortlessly lost 30 pounds in 7 months. Average loss per week over the entire duration was one pound a week, aiming for one pound a week then a half pound a week for the last 10 pounds.

That's all anyone is trying to say. Eat the RIGHT amount of calories for what you weigh and the amount you have to lose. There's no need to automatically go for the lowest possible number of calories.
  • watboy
    Options
    So little time
  • watboy
    Options
    The thing is for some people 1200 is optimal.I eat about 1400 or so. And work out 500-600 every day and I don't eat my excersice calories back. You can figure out my net. I've had no issues with weightloss nor any issues going from having tiny little boy arms to nice big manly mechanic arms. I guess i'm a freak.
    No one is saying "You will stop losing weight." But that's not to say that their loss is OPTIMAL loss. It's making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Years ago, I struggled for a good 8 or more months to lose about 20 pounds when I wasn't eating enough. I thought the only way to keep losing would be to eat even less than I was. Average loss per week was about a half pound a week, many weeks less than that, even though I was aiming for 2 pounds or more per week.

But eating the RIGHT amount of calories for what I weighed and how much I wanted to lose, which is nearly twice as much as I was years ago, I easily and effortlessly lost 30 pounds in 7 months. Average loss per week over the entire duration was one pound a week, aiming for one pound a week then a half pound a week for the last 10 pounds.

That's all anyone is trying to say. Eat the RIGHT amount of calories for what you weigh and the amount you have to lose. There's no need to automatically go for the lowest possible number of calories.
    [/quote]
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The thing is 1200 for some people 1200 is optimal.

[/quote]

If they are under 5' tall!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

*cough*
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a weird weird topic for me.

I had gastric surgery. For 5 weeks I literally didn't consume more than 500 calories a day, while drinking only protein shakes. I have to keep my protein to more than 70g/day. I worked my super physical job (wearing a pedometer, I never was below 8k-10k steps), going to the gym for aqua classes and doing cardio..EVERY day! If I'd read someone saying this, I'd accuse them of lying or cheating, but I did NOT

I lost not one lb. Not one. For those who think it's amusing, yes, I did actually consider trying to sell my metabolism to a 3rd world country. HOW could I exist on that? the deficit was clearly in excess of what I was consuming, yet there was ZERO weight loss.

I went to another forum, where I was advised to stop working out so much and eat more. I stopped going to the gym, and upped my calories to around 750. The first week, I lost 6 lbs.

Now, it seems extremely counterintuitive that to LOSE weight I had to MOVE less and EAT more, yet that's exactly what happened.

don't mock it unless you've been there.

Obviously you've found what works for you and that it required a change to more food and less exercise.
    Is the calories consumed (under 500) just referring to solid food, and not including the protein shakes? Because from what I've seen those tend to have a lot. But at the same time, that wouldn't be to blame for no loss for that long. Just curious about that part.
    I also assume you did this with close doctor supervision/advice post surgery- did they advise the change or did you deicde to try it for yourself?

No..that is total calories, including protein shakes. Eas makes one that is amazing, 110 cals and 17 grams. When that's ALL you're eating, it doesn't add up to much.

I asked my Dr. about it, telling her that I was eating that way, and she said it's normal to eat that way and not lose weight, that my body was 'readjusting'. Her solution was just to keep eating that way and I'd be fine.

I am a member of another forum, and it's not uncommon for MANY people to not lose for months eating so little, I truly think that for some people, their bodies just shut down. The difference between us, and the people in Africa who really ARE starving, is that theirs has probably always been that way, while ours is a sudden change.

Believe me, if I could have enrolled in a study, to PROVE this, I sure would have.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    And to add:

If you're eating 500 calories a day, unloading pallets and working freight, doing gym classes, elliptical and/or cardio EVERY day..don't say that you can just 'up' your exercise and that will help..because when you're doing that much already. It's not physically possible.

I went into a trainer at the gym, to try to do some muscle building, he said he couldn't help me, cause I was too outta shape to even try. He was a real winner.

Only advice from those who'd BEEN in this postition helped!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    People with GBP can eat 500-700 cals a day due to how their system takes in nutrients. Google it. This stuff is real.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    First off, I find it disturbing when people toss out a "starving children of Africa" analogy, but really... the fact that those people are even ALIVE on how little they have to eat shows that the body adapts, slows down and is able to function (not optimally, of course) when there's real or perceived famine.
  • watboy
    Options
    /losenge

*cough*
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    "We don't need another "Starvation mode" thread. You are going to believe what you believe. Others will believe what they believe.

Let's give it a rest."

LMAO! I have at least one fan!
  • watboy
    Options
    I'll just keep losing weight and being fit my way. Good luck all. And thanks to all the emails from
    people who get what i'm saying. Keep em coming.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    And I am going to keep losing weight eating lots of nice food (about 2,000 calories worth a day)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    First off, I find it disturbing when people toss out a "starving children of Africa" analogy, but really... the fact that those people are even ALIVE on how little they have to eat shows that the body adapts, slows down and is able to function (not optimally, of course) when there's real or perceived famine.

Good point
  • watboy
    Options
    Food good
  • watboy
    Options
    Lol i eat plenty of food im stuffed 99% of the time. I had eggs, bacon, pancakes, home fries and toast for breakfast.A cherry dip dairy queen cone for a snack,mashed potatos and corn and shake and bake pork-chops for dinner. Yummmmm. That's how I roll.
    And I am going to keep losing weight eating lots of nice food (about 2,000 calories worth a day)
    [/quote]