better than WW

Options

Replies

• Smores
    Smores Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on my 5th week with WW. I've lost 9lbs since I started. I have been using myfitnesspal for a long time and lost 60lbs just using it. But I gained a good amount of it back since I lost. The main problem I have with just using MFP is that I stop for week and week. The WW meetings are what helps me keep going and when I hit my goal I get lifetime and it will help me maintain so I don't gain everything back again. It really depends on your personality. If you are someone that doesn't need other people around you to push you them I would say MFP is for you. WW just keeps me going. MFP is a good tool to use to look up nutrition information. GOOD LUCK!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You will do the same without the cost. You will reach your goal and we will help to get you there. Stay disciplined about logging in every single day and accurate about logging your food and exercise. Believe me. When the weight begins to come off you will be proud you did it for free and didn't need the crutch of paying hard earned money for something you can do on your own. Good for you!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    :smile:
    WW cost money, both in weekly fees and fuel / fares to get there
    Why pay someone to tell you what to eat when you can get the advice here for free?

I totally agree with this. This is a wonderful place to be and it's on your own time and free. And it works. Does it get much better?
  • jrnygirl
    jrnygirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Be sure to stay within your calories. Cutting down on carbs and sugars will help quite a bit.
    I've just started up again this week (Monday) and I'm already down 2.4 lbs. I've kept my calories under 1200

I've given myself 1300 but planned not to count fruit and veg like the WW folks. Hmmmm maybe I've set it too high in that case.

I do count my fruits and veggies. The trainer I'm working with has told me to eat no more than 3 fruits a day because of the calories and sugar content. I'm not a big veggie eater, so that is one of my challenges to add more veggies in my meals. If I didn't include my fruits, that would be 212 more calories that I wouldn't be accounting for which I feel is a lot to overlook.
  • melissaslagle
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds with WW...it took 2 1/2 years...then PP came and the cost thing...so I quit and then I found mfp thru a friend back in August...I love mfp...it is free and I use it to track everything I do, I feel like I didn't quit anything if anything I feel like I work harder towards my goals because I see true numbers not points...don't get me wrong WW was wonderful for me too, it just isn't the only thing out there that works...Good Luck!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Hi. I joined 12 days ago and have lost 4 lbs. MFP is helping me become more mindful about my eating habits. Exercise is the easy part for me ... but since I LOVE FOOD, being more aware of my choices and portions is necessary for me to lose!
    WHAT ARE PEOPLES THOUGHTS ON ... Diet Soda?

Is diet soda really good for you?? Personally I prefer to have either water or fruit tea - I hate the thought of the chemicals and additives that are in these drinks anyway - but I read an article recently that seemed to indicate that these drinks can actually make you put weight on ... how true this is I really don't know.
    There is no scientific proven study that proves aspartame is harmful in any way. It has been around for 40 years and does not add any weight. There are many scare sites out there making claims but absolutely 0 proof of any harm at all. Some people believe any bubbly drink if drunk in excess will stretch your stomache wall making it bigger. I do not believe this to be true either. Check the search function on MFP about threads with aspartame, artificial sweeteners and diet soda. There is a wealth of threads.
  • sonyaj1125
    sonyaj1125 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my 65 pounds on WW. I am a fan of both. You have to choose what's best for you. I like the motivation I get from MFP because people are really burning up calories! I like the support from the WW meetings. So, there are benefits and positive aspects to both.:smile:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think which one may or may not be better is irrelevant. The OP doesn't want to join WW and shouldn't allow herself to be bullied (or challenged) into it. One thing that seems to be true about weight loss, is that the person has to want it, and be willing to work for it. Being in the program or using the tools that you choose (vs. being told to use) is just as important as what you put in your mouth and how much/little you exercise. Success comes from finding what works for you. I can say that for me, I've never been successful at anything I've been forced to do, or done against my will.
  • melissaslagle
    Options
    Very true!!!!
  • todayiwillfly
    Options
    Looks like I have to track the Fruit and Veggies too. Drats! How come WW folks get to eat it without counting...Is it because WW thinks they can't eat too much of it, or that they expect weight loss at a slower rate?
  • esims822
    esims822 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was very confused witht he WW also. It seems like there is alot that you can use as fara s points which is way more food that what youa re suposed to eat. Very easy to eat thing you shuoldnt because you ahve all the extra points.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I also have a friend on WW, but she can make more excuses to not attend meetings or do a true account of what she eats! I find with mfp, it is so easy to log on and add my food/exercise. It's really making a difference in what/how I eat. Last night, I knew I wanted two pieces of pizza for dinner (my favorite food!). I checked to see the calorie content of two pieces of Papa Murphy's Thin Delite Mediterranean Pizza and then made sure I had enough calories saved up to enjoy them. I really wanted a third piece, but knew it would put me over, so I stopped. I must say, I am very proud of myself, because I could easily have eaten the entire pizza! So far, after 2 1/2 weeks on mfp, I'm down 3 pounds, so I'm pretty happy with the program! Please feel free to friend me!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Looks like I have to track the Fruit and Veggies too. Drats! How come WW folks get to eat it without counting...Is it because WW thinks they can't eat too much of it, or that they expect weight loss at a slower rate?

The formula accounts for those calories. It's a bit complicated, but it works out. Although, I think the free fruit is too much. Fruit cals add up much faster than veggie cals.
  • dreamzvt
    dreamzvt Posts: 96
    Options
    I have done WW and I didn't like it at all. I find doing things my way works best for me. Logging my food on here makes me aware of what I am doing wrong and where I need to cut back. I like MFP more than facebook now. I used to be a facebook junkie.

Plus a WW meeting has a smaller group. The variety on MFP is amazing here. I find people that are in very similar situations as me as well.
    Going to WW was too intimidating for me. First of all, we all had to line up and weigh for the counselor. I consider weighing myself private. I also want to do this at my own pace.

WW is good for some I am sure. Just not for me. I have lost 41lbs since the 12/26/11 on MFP. I have learned so much and absolutely rave over it.

Do what is best for you.
  • tinaslosingit
    tinaslosingit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't do WW. I did WW myself for months before discovering MFP. MFP is 100x easier and I've gotten better results, and a better outlook on exercise and everything along with it :)

I had fantastic results on WW. Not so much on MFP. Different strokes for different folks. Just sayin'.

I have done WW online and MFP. For me, the programs are very similar in that you track your food and exercise. They each just "count" the food and exercise in a different way. I have lost on both and I have found that it's really what I put into it that makes weight loss happen. If i didnt track my food and exercise while on WW, then i would gain or plateau. Same thing on here. You have to be committed to tracking every day for either program to work. MFP is better though b/c it's FREE! :)
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I've always been opposed to counting points. I was opposed to tracking food, too, but MFP makes it so easy. The database is fantastic, and it's great that you can choose to track other nutrients too, like salt. The mobile app is very convenient.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! I did weight watchers and my God it WORKS.. BUT... it's depressing. Constantly counting and weighing and you're so limited with weight watchers with the points system. I'm doing Lite n Easy and that works brilliantly, I eat soooo much but MFP is what really motivates me, seeing how much I've consumed and knowing how much I should burn is amazingly helpful. Weight watchers made me depressed, and broke.

**EDIT**
    Obviously you have to track you food anyway on but with MFP at least pretty much EVERYTHING is listed for you lol So easy.

Do you have any idea how many times I've looked up a food in the MFP database and the NI was wrong?

Can't say I've EVER had that problem.

Do you double check packaging against the MFP entry? I do every time I log something for the first time and a lot of the entries are way off.

Yep sure do. I'm on lite n easy and always double check that whoever added the food did so correctly, and add alot of the food myself also. Always been accurate so far. And when it is accurate I always say yes to the "Is this information accurate", some things miss out on the fibre etc, which as someone who suffers IBS I wish people would add the fibre when they put in new foods but other than that the calories are always right. For me, at least.

You must have better luck than I, then.

And you said in a previous post how you had to add a lot of foods on WW and you didn't like that. But you just said you're doing the same here.

I'm trying to figure out, other than price (and the fact you're apparently doing another diet altogether, anyway), what's different from WW to MFP?

And to clarify, I did the old WW plan (Momentum). I don't think the free fruit on PointsPlus is a good idea and it seems to not work as well for people who have less to lose. I don't care what diet people do. My issue is the immense amount of misinformation that gets thrown around WW threads on this board.

There's nothing wrong with MFP, but there's also nothing inherently better about it beyond the part where it's free.

It's alot easier to track on here then it was with WW. I also did the old plan and attempted the new one. The old plan was much better. Here I have support from thousands of people all over the world. WW I had to pay almost $20 a week on top of food costs to be weighed and have a meeting that as soon as the meeting finished everyone left and none of my questions were ever answered and no one supported each other. Here I can type in a food and it's serving size and it'll tell me how many calories, before MFP I had to work out points manually and when you're told you only have 24 points and something you're about to eat for breakfast is worth 7 points you automatically stress and worry "omg will I have enough points for lunch and dinner!?" WW points systems hardly allowed for snacking too. Whereas being on 1500 cals a day I feel like I'm eating all the time and the weight is still falling off. I still stray from my lite n easy and eat chocolate and everything but on MFP I track my chocolate and go "WOAH! 600cals! Sh%t lets jump on the bike". I never felt I could do that with WW. If you wanted points back from exercise you had to work overboard just to get a meal back.

I also didn't realise how much of an argument my simple post would cause.
  • sazroy
    Options
    Never said I was "so much more successful on WW"

Lite n Easy has been what's really worked for me. So not sure what you're asking.

I was talking to someone else. I misquoted.

Lol I noticed that now, I was confused when I read your original quote from me haha
  • sazroy
    Options
    Hi. I joined 12 days ago and have lost 4 lbs. MFP is helping me become more mindful about my eating habits. Exercise is the easy part for me ... but since I LOVE FOOD, being more aware of my choices and portions is necessary for me to lose!
    WHAT ARE PEOPLES THOUGHTS ON ... Diet Soda?
    Is diet soda really good for you?? Personally I prefer to have either water or fruit tea - I hate the thought of the chemicals and additives that are in these drinks anyway - but I read an article recently that seemed to indicate that these drinks can actually make you put weight on ... how true this is I really don't know.

I used to drink Diet Coke all my life, then my whole family switched to Pepsi Max (cheaper) and we all gained weight, also from 3 different households so weren't eating the same foods for that to have been the cause. So I have no doubt that drinking Diet drinks are still going to cause weight gain, they have huge amounts of sodium. Water all the way for me, as I said before, I bloat now when I drink fizzy drinks.
  • rdevinne
    rdevinne Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm dong both to compare. The majority of the time I'm under my calorie limit on MFP but over on WW points. I don't really understand how you can lose weight on WW when you have all these PLUS POINTS that you can use in a week also. I think I'm going to cancel my online subscription to WW and stick with MFP.

I'm doing the same comparison, and am having the same issue. Under on calories, but way over on WW points. I have no idea what goes into determining the number of points for an item, at least with MFP there are calories and nutrients that I understand. I'll be ending my WW online as soon as my 3 months are up