1000 calories or less diet

Options

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I can't even fathom being unable to only eat 1200 calories a day. I ONLY eat lean, healthy food, fruits and veggies - yet I am typically right around my daily total of 1400 almost every day. Sure, some days I fluctuate...however, simply put...NO ONE should eat under 1200. You are only doing harm to yourself. And really, are you HONESTLY updating your counter? Do you put 1 tblspoon mayo, when you really had two or three?

Calories are IN EVERYTHING. If you're eating, you're probably eating more than you think you are. Anyways, I truly wish you the best in your journey, but you must get there the healthy way.

Did you read my last post? I've only started last Monday! I also said that I am measuring everything.
  • saraann4
    Options
    You didn't get to 260lbs at 25 by eating that little. Eat more calorie dense foods - low fat, diet and similar products are generally crap anyway. Try nuts, peanut butter, fruit, full fat milk etcetera.

I answered how I got to 260lbs in my last post.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will say you should eat more, direct you to similar posts and point out why you should, in short this is correct.

My response is just as a personal experience response. I managed to put on weight under-eating, I was overestimating my calories, and worked out I was eating anywhere between 700-1000 cals in the week up to 1500 cals at the weekend. This stemmed from years before when I had lost weight and had cut and cut calories to lose more, eventually my body went against me and I started to gain weight which led to emotional under eating and "binges" at the weekend. When I started I did find it hard to eat more and sometimes I still do but the best thing to do is just get used to it, you aren't that far off there are just certain things you could change or add. Since eating more food I've started noticing a change in not only my weight but my measurements.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You didn't get to 260lbs at 25 by eating that little. Eat more calorie dense foods - low fat, diet and similar products are generally crap anyway. Try nuts, peanut butter, fruit, full fat milk etcetera.

I answered how I got to 260lbs in my last post.

I didn't see it to be honest - scrolling down I must have missed it(avatar!). Anyway, the same advice stands - you don't have to completely deny yourself things that are rich in calories or fat - in fact you need a certain amount of both to ensure the correct function of your body. Your brain for example needs a certain amount of saturated fat to work optimally. Eat more calorie dense foods that you don't find too filling. And I get that it's your first week, and it's a gradual process, but I want to try and head you off going down the route of having to eat less and less because your metabolism is slowing down to run on a limited intake when you could be eating a good amount of food and losing weight consistently.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This may be a strange suggestion. But when I went from eating lots of starchy, convenience foods to whole grains and loads of veggies I felt uncomfortably full. Then I realized that I wasn't full, it was just taking my body time to digest everything. Try drinking lots of water and a probiotic and spacing your meals to 6 small meals instead of 3 meals.
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options
    How long have you been tracking on MFP? When I first started I was really gung-ho about tracking and coming in as close to or under my calorie goal as possible and the change from my usual poor eating habits to healthier habits did keep me full longer, etc, and sometimes it was hard to hit my calorie goal just because I honestly didn't feel hungry. Are you posting because you are concerned about the low calorie totals or because you haven't been losing?

The most important thing, IMO, especially when starting out is just being conscious of what you're eating and how you feel. I did take a glance at your diary and I would recommend adding in more frequent and healthier snacks--almond butter and an apple, or laughing cow cheese with toast, or some other combination of protein/carb or veggie/protein.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    At 260 lbs, you are close to where I started, 1790 @ 247. I followed the program, eating back my calories, and 115 days later, I have lost 47.4 lbs. and just tipped the scale at 199.6 this morning. I started on Dec. 13, 2011. You may not believe it, but it will work. You are a big boy...you need energy to fuel your muscles. After I lost 20 lbs., I got taken down to 1590, then to my current 1450. It will bring you down, but it will do it safely. Trust the system, it works. If you try to lose too fast, it will blow up at some point.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am currently sitting at 260lbs and my goal is 200lbs. According to my Fitness Pal, I should be consuming 1860 calories a day. I can't manage to get up to 1200 calories a day. For the past couple days, I've only been eating up to 900 calories a day, BUT I am satisfied. I want to restrict my diet, but I don't want to feel like I'm eating too much. I also don't want my body to go into a starvation mode.

Also, if I add in my exercise for the day, I get like 292 calories added on to that. I don't exercise everday. I just enjoy taking my dogs for a walk whenever I can (usually on the weekends). I have an office job.

Is this good, bad, ok?

What's your BMR? I would recommend eating that.
  • ashleyelizabeth18
    Options
    yeah you should definitely try to eat at least 1200 calories a day. i do have those days where i'm not that hunger and want to eat less than that. On those days, i try to eat some peanut butter and bread, or any type of nuts because they have a lot of calories but are still good for you.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Ensure you have enough nutrients in your diet to ensure you are not consuming muscle and such... Protein is a major concern. I would recommend that you consume at least 1200 calories (at least gross calories if not net)... And that should be a well balanced diet.. 5 fruits/veggies, protein and grains to ensure a healthy diet... after all, that is really what you want.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I just can't wrap my head around eating that little amount of food and successfully losing weight and then keeping it off. When I started MFP, I was given around 1400 calories a day. I managed to stay around that, but then I learned the secret that if I worked out, I got to eat even more. That was the most awesome discovery I ever made, I swear!

Then I started working out more and more and got closer and closer to my goal, so I upped my net calories to 1500. I generally burn 500-700 calories a day, so I get to eat 2000-2200 calories a day. I am in heaven! I get to eat well and have treats, too. Can I do this for the rest of my life? You bet your *kitten*! And I will love every minute of it.

I can't comprehend starving myself any more. I used to do that. I'd lose the weight and then go off my diet and gain it back. Now I know I can eat what I want in moderation, but still enjoy treats like a mixed drink and dessert. Makes me a very happy woman!
  • saraann4
    Options
    How long have you been tracking on MFP? When I first started I was really gung-ho about tracking and coming in as close to or under my calorie goal as possible and the change from my usual poor eating habits to healthier habits did keep me full longer, etc, and sometimes it was hard to hit my calorie goal just because I honestly didn't feel hungry. Are you posting because you are concerned about the low calorie totals or because you haven't been losing?

The most important thing, IMO, especially when starting out is just being conscious of what you're eating and how you feel. I did take a glance at your diary and I would recommend adding in more frequent and healthier snacks--almond butter and an apple, or laughing cow cheese with toast, or some other combination of protein/carb or veggie/protein.

I just started last week. I am trying to find things that I like (picky eater here) in a healthier version. I'm posted this because I was concerned about the totals. I want to do it the right way. I looked at my calorie intake which is like 1860 and I thought whoaa that seems like a lot. Then, I thought about the 1200. Which should I look at the 1860 or the 1200? Why doesn't it tell me to go for 1200? Plus, I don't want to eat when I am not hungry.

Don't think I would like almond butter. I do love laughing cow so next time I go grocery shopping, I will get some of that in.

Thanks for your advice.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Posts like this make me feel two things . . .

1. Really? Are sure its only 1000 calories you are eating?
    I have a friend who complained about not losing weight and eating way under 1200 calories per day. When I scanned her diary, I found that she logged values far less than the actual ones.

Everyone is different though.
  • saraann4
    Options
    I just can't wrap my head around eating that little amount of food and successfully losing weight and then keeping it off. When I started MFP, I was given around 1400 calories a day. I managed to stay around that, but then I learned the secret that if I worked out, I got to eat even more. That was the most awesome discovery I ever made, I swear!

Then I started working out more and more and got closer and closer to my goal, so I upped my net calories to 1500. I generally burn 500-700 calories a day, so I get to eat 2000-2200 calories a day. I am in heaven! I get to eat well and have treats, too. Can I do this for the rest of my life? You bet your *kitten*! And I will love every minute of it.

I can't comprehend starving myself any more. I used to do that. I'd lose the weight and then go off my diet and gain it back. Now I know I can eat what I want in moderation, but still enjoy treats like a mixed drink and dessert. Makes me a very happy woman!

Girl, I wish I could work out more. I work such weird hours. And yes, I've made the discovery as well. I noticed 2 days ago, when I went on a few walks with my dogs in one day that I burned so many calories and those calories added on to my calorie intake.

Thanks for your advice.
  • saraann4
    Options

I have a friend who complained about not losing weight and eating way under 1200 calories per day. When I scanned her diary, I found that she logged values far less than the actual ones.

Apparently, I'm lying again? I've have only been doing this a week and have been measuring everything out.

I find it funny that some people on here attack me about what I'm eating(my diary is now open to view), but yet their diary isn't open. Not saying you are one of those people. I would love to take a look at other people's diaries just to get an idea on what I should be doing.
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options

I just started last week. I am trying to find things that I like (picky eater here) in a healthier version. I'm posted this because I was concerned about the totals. I want to do it the right way. I looked at my calorie intake which is like 1860 and I thought whoaa that seems like a lot. Then, I thought about the 1200. Which should I look at the 1860 or the 1200? Why doesn't it tell me to go for 1200? Plus, I don't want to eat when I am not hungry.

Don't think I would like almond butter. I do love laughing cow so next time I go grocery shopping, I will get some of that in.

Thanks for your advice.

What are some of your favorites that you're trying to be healthier about? Or your list of "won't eats"? We can brainstorm some options, even for a picky eater!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Apparently, I'm lying again? I've have only been doing this a week and have been measuring everything out.

I find it funny that some people on here attack me about what I'm eating(my diary is now open to view), but yet their diary isn't open. Not saying you are one of those people. I would love to take a look at other people's diaries just to get an idea on what I should be doing.
    Mine is open, and I'm following a high calorie (BMR/TDEE calculated) plan. Maybe something in there will give you inspiration. I do think your first step should be too properly work out your BMR and TDEE and do some reading on the subject here. 1200 calories a day is only really adequate nutritionally for very short, small people. 1860 sounds a helluva lot more healthy, although I suspect still on the low side for you.

Edit: I don't track Sundays, so just go back a day or two.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough protein. You should be at least between 40 and 50g. And you are low on carbs also. You should be eating a little more than one piece of fruit for lunch. A little greek yogurt or cottage cheese then would kick up your protein. One bowl of special K is not much of a breakfast for any reasonably active person. More carbs here. Perhaps a cup of oatmeal, cracked wheat, brown rice or steel cut oatmeal would help here. Maybe some yogurt or fruit with the cereal. That should kick you up closer to where you should be. Cutting back too much in calories and protein will make it harder to stay with the plan long term and is bad for your health.
  • saraann4
    Options

Thanks for your advice.

What are some of your favorites that you're trying to be healthier about? Or your list of "won't eats"? We can brainstorm some options, even for a picky eater!

I want more veggies and fruit in my diet. This isn't a diet to me. I want a lifestyle change. I mean the list could go on and on..

Dislike: oatmeal, asparagus, brussel sprouts, bitter types of lettuce, nuts of any kind, cereal, tomatoes, milk, and etc....

Like: salsa (would love some ideas for eggs and salsa), chicken, shrimp, cheese, green beans(love, love, love!!), peas, corn, any type of bean, grapes, mexican food, italian food, and the list could go on.

Not a big sweet person. I'm more of a salty type of gal.

Also, everyone keeps mentioning peanut butter, but doesn't that pack on the fat calories? I don't really want that. I do want to stray away from starches. But goodness, I love potatoes.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Girl, I wish I could work out more. I work such weird hours. And yes, I've made the discovery as well. I noticed 2 days ago, when I went on a few walks with my dogs in one day that I burned so many calories and those calories added on to my calorie intake.

Thanks for your advice.

I love food, which is how I got fat. I still love food, but I eat a lot of whole foods now, so I get a lot of volume for the amount of calories I have to log. I am also lucky because I am a total creature of habit and can eat the same thing day in and day out. I have a fruit smoothie (made with unsweetened frozen mixed fruit) and two hard boiled eggs every morning. I have a salad with either chicken or turkey on it for lunch every day. I workout like crazy at the gym and can eat just about anything I please for dinner (usually a protein, a carb, a couple of vodka and tonics and a bowl of ice cream with hershey's syrup and sunflower seeds on top). It all makes me very happy and I enjoy working out now. I didn't used to. LOL